Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

I like him up as an option far more than Hogan or Davies(at the mo). He is a proven goalscorer and even with restricted minutes last year managed to find the net far more than the other striking options we had. IMO he also deserves to get his chance to play in the PL even if only as a bit part player. I think he is very capable when challenged and will want to do well. It shouldn't be forgotten that his goals also contributed to us returning to the PL. He is capable of producing something out of nothing and we will without doubt need that kind of something.

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Kinda does though. 

Nobody is asking him to be our first choice striker. I'd still sign another and it looks like we will. However when you need a bit of magic from the bench he's an interesting option. 

Fair enough. I still don't think he can create that special stuff against better teams, but we'll see. Hopefully we sign someone better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He didn’t kick up a fuss last season despite playing second fiddle to Tammy and I appreciate that.

Wasn’t there the rumour of him going back to france in January. He may not have moaned to the press, but behind closed doors he may have moaning about not playing. I’m sure Smith said something about him (Kodj) not being happy.

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wasn’t there the rumour of him going back to france in January. He may not have moaned to the press, but behind closed doors he may have moaning about not playing. I’m sure Smith said something about him (Kodj) not being happy.

Maybe he meant not being happy in a positive way, rather than causing trouble. You’d much rather have your players unhappy with not starting and desperate to play as long as it doesn’t reach a disruptive stage.

The worst kind of players are those that are more than happy sitting on the bench as long as they’re picking up their wages...

He comes across as a positive character n likes a laugh with the players. Doesn’t seem moody like Hogan is looking right now. No harm in keeping him around at all.

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I like him up as an option far more than Hogan or Davies(at the mo). He is a proven goalscorer and even with restricted minutes last year managed to find the net far more than the other striking options we had. IMO he also deserves to get his chance to play in the PL even if only as a bit part player. I think he is very capable when challenged and will want to do well. It shouldn't be forgotten that his goals also contributed to us returning to the PL. He is capable of producing something out of nothing and we will without doubt need that kind of something.

Agreed and I actually think if had a better manager and better players around him in that first season then he would have been the catalyst in us getting promoted.

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Something worth considering: we won’t have to play him on the wing where he can’t be as effective due to the options we now have.

It thing its unrealistic that he can add something to this squad, 30 years old and never played in highest league anywhere in the world. Though he has played 24 caps and score 11 goals which is very good. But was scoring vs lower ranked afrikan nations.

16 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

It thing its unrealistic that he can add something to this squad, 30 years old and never played in highest league anywhere in the world. Though he has played 24 caps and score 11 goals which is very good. But was scoring vs lower ranked afrikan nations.

Just to bare in mind that in the 2017/18 season, him, Chester and Grealish were often talked about as the only 3 players that would keep their place in the team if we got promoted.

A year on, and a lack of regular games has seen his stock fall, but he’s still a quality striker, good enough to be a backup option in the Prem.

Right now in my mind he is the best finisher at the club, and I include Wesley in that. Thats not a pop at Wesley, just haven't seen him enough (and his goalscoring stats not that great).

Kodjias goal scoring record stacks up wherever he has played, whether France, Championship or International football - you cant take that away from him.

Also I don't think he's anywhere near as lazy as its portrayed on here, I see him chasing down players all the time (he's just not as quick as Tammy so the balls often gone when he gets to his man). He does lose his runner occasionally when he's asked to play on the wing I must admit - but not through laziness, lets not forget he is a striker - tracking a runner when you are playing as a makeshift winger is something thats bound to happen on the odd occasion when its not your natural position.

If any of our backup strikers were through on goal, I would want it to be Kodjia over Hogan or Davis. If there was one last defender in the way as well, I'd still back Kodjia whereas I would expect the other 2 would get dispossessed every time 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Just to bare in mind that in the 2017/18 season, him, Chester and Grealish were often talked about as the only 3 players that would keep their place in the team if we got promoted.

A year on, and a lack of regular games has seen his stock fall, but he’s still a quality striker, good enough to be a backup option in the Prem.

We will see, at least it would be great for him to start hes highest league football in PL :)

34 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Glenn Murray, Ricky Lambert and even Grant Holt would suggest not impossible. Even Vardy was 29 when got going in top division 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

Birkir Bjarnason is 31.

Yes I'm aware he has a handful of starts in Serie A, but you appreciate where I'm coming from I'm sure.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Glenn Murray, Ricky Lambert and even Grant Holt would suggest not impossible. Even Vardy was 29 when got going in top division 

Than hopefully he will do well. They where excellent in the first year

1 minute ago, Jonsi77 said:

Off the bench, I’m sure he’s capable of making some kind of impact. And I think it’s possible he would be able to strike up a partnership with Wesley. A selfish striker paired with an unselfish striker sounds like it would be very effective 😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Off the bench, I’m sure he’s capable of making some kind of impact. And I think it’s possible he would be able to strike up a partnership with Wesley. A selfish striker paired with an unselfish striker sounds like it would be very effective 😆

I don't think anyone os expectimg Kodjia to be challenging for Golden Boot but if chipped om 5-10 goals it could be crucial

Most top flight backups dont do that

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I hope it will be good :)   

I think it's important to have a backup option who offers something completely different to your first choice striker while being capable of playing on the same system. He could be a real wildcard when our back is against the wall.

• Like 2

Â