James Chester

KJT123

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I'd say if Leeds offer 8m I'd sell Chester. I love the bloke but clearly he won't be playing as many games as we would like sadly.

I'd be a good but reluctant deal for me.

£8m is the price we paid for Engels.

I’d be gutted if we’d just swapped the two of them. 

What would be the point? 

We have three centre backs with potential and two more experienced centre backs with questionable injury records. Seems a good mix to me.

£12m + Chester for Kalvin Phillips is what I’d suggest.

Not desperate to see Chester go at all but understand he may want to play each week and may not be guaranteed it here.

He’s been very good for us and played through injury to the detriment of his own long term fitness. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure how you work that out, he was brilliant for us before his injury, in fact most said that he was better than Terry in his year with us. And in the Premier league with Hull he was also excellent, ask any of their fans and they will tell you as much, they still indulge in enjoyable recollections of his past defensive displays to this day, it was only really at Albion where he had a bad time of things, but that was because Pullis played him at right-back. If he's fully recovered from his injuries then he's a very good defender.

I've a lot of time for Chester but we've bought 4 CBs now and he looks to be knackered injury-wise. I'd sell him for 7.5m+ but who knows if he'd even pass his medical? I like the idea of using him plus cash to get Phillips, though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

£12m + Chester for Kalvin Phillips is what I’d suggest.

Not desperate to see Chester go at all but understand he may want to play each week and may not be guaranteed it here.

He’s been very good for us and played through injury to the detriment of his own long term fitness. 

This. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure how you work that out, he was brilliant for us before his injury, in fact most said that he was better than Terry in his year with us. And in the Premier league with Hull he was also excellent, ask any of their fans and they will tell you as much, they still indulge in enjoyable recollections of his past defensive displays to this day, it was only really at Albion where he had a bad time of things, but that was because Pullis played him at right-back. If he's fully recovered from his injuries then he's a very good defender.

He won’t be. He said himself it’s something he will have to manage for the rest of his career. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He won’t be. He said himself it’s something he will have to manage for the rest of his career. 

That doesn't mean he's finished though. Lesley King had to manage his injury for years and was consistently one of the best CBs in the country.

Having to 'manage' an injury can be anything from being unable to run or turn to having your knee swell up a bit after matches so you have to miss the next training session or have an hour's physio after a match. 

It can be as minor as needing to put a bit of ice on for an hour or as major as never being able to run again. Why is everyone assuming the worst here? Like was said above, if he's fit enough to pass what would undoubtedly be a stringent medical after his comments the injury simply cannot be that bad, and would mean he's more than good enough to at least be a backup 

I still think he'll be handy to keep around, five defenders is a good number to have, ideally you'd have one of the youngsters taking up that fifth place, but I'm not sure if we have anyone good enough or ready yet. I doubt there's any truth to these rumours anyway, I can't see Bielsa trying to sign a 30 year old defender who's had a bad injury in the previous season.

For me he was our best player of the 3 years in the championship. He carried the defence for many games. 

He isn’t going to be first choice and probably only in the squad for his experience. A bid over £7m should be accepted though, it’s how the business model of the club works. 

Can’t believe so many people think he’s finished. He’s a very capable defender and I’m sure he can play a part in our season. Maybe he’ll go to a championship side but I would keep him personally. 

• Like 1

Hes the only one of our current centre backs whos got any real proper premier league experience, no way would i get shipping him out, mings injury record isnt great, konsa isnt ready in my opinion and engles is an unknown quantity. He has to stay

• Like 2

Â