James Chester

KJT123

19 minutes ago, weedman said:

That doesn't mean he's finished though. Lesley King had to manage his injury for years and was consistently one of the best CBs in the country.

Having to 'manage' an injury can be anything from being unable to run or turn to having your knee swell up a bit after matches so you have to miss the next training session or have an hour's physio after a match. 

It can be as minor as needing to put a bit of ice on for an hour or as major as never being able to run again. Why is everyone assuming the worst here? Like was said above, if he's fit enough to pass what would undoubtedly be a stringent medical after his comments the injury simply cannot be that bad, and would mean he's more than good enough to at least be a backup 

He was great under Bruce because he can defend. Under Smith he struggled because he is not comfortable on the ball. Yes he had injury problems but he just isn’t that player. I rate him and am grateful for all he did.  But there’s no chance he will play in the Premier Legaue for us next season. 

I just can't see Bielsa spending anything, especially on an old injury prone CB. Suspect they will land a few loans and hope they can retain Phillips. 

I guess maybe £20 million and Chester could be tempting for their owner. 

• Like 1

Damn I thought we liked center halves with dodgy knees up here?

Ideally I'd like to keep him, but if Leeds were open to a 15m + Chester deal for Kalvin Phillips then I'd bite their arm off too. He could also cover that emergency 5th CB option while being competition for Douglas.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

F*** me it’s amazing how sentiment clouds judgement. Chester was awful last season. It’s no coincidence he played no part in our 10 game winning run. 

Tbf to him he was clearly playing through the pain barrier for a lot of it

• Like 2

He's done well for us, but probably won't get too much game time tbis season.  If he can get a decent contract and we can get an acceptable fee, it's a good move for both parties.

Not the kind of player you're keen to see move on, but a move probably makes sense.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

F*** me it’s amazing how sentiment clouds judgement. Chester was awful last season. It’s no coincidence he played no part in our 10 game winning run. 

Jedinak started two of those 10 games at centre back for God's sake, and Elphick started another one. Clearly that's no coincidence either and we've made a huge mistake letting both of them go.

Just because it's not short-term thinking, doesn't mean it's sentiment.

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because he was f***ing hurt

Chester-Terry last season was amazing. Chester really came into his own next to him. I think Chester still has plenty to give and the transfer fee reported is not good enough. We wouldn't be able to replace him with those funds. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Jedinak started two of those 10 games at centre back for God's sake, and Elphick started another one. Clearly that's no coincidence either and we've made a huge mistake letting both of them go.

Just because it's not short-term thinking, doesn't mean it's sentiment.

That makes no sense. Chester is still here because he is in contract. If his contact was ending do you honest think he would have been offered a new one?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Because he was f***ing hurt

Chester-Terry last season was amazing. Chester really came into his own next to him. I think Chester still has plenty to give and the transfer fee reported is not good enough. We wouldn't be able to replace him with those funds. 

A whole season injured and he is recovered to play in the top flight?

We’ll have this conversation again in a month. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

If we're absolutely desperate for the money after our recent spending then maybe £7.5m is a good return for a player that's probably way down the pecking order for the CB position.

However, looking at it a different way, keeping a player who can play cup games, be a great rotation option and generally be a positive influence on the squad in terms of his experience, continuity and attitude is a good thing and £7.5m is not going to buy that.

Personally, I'd tell Leeds to do one.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

That makes no sense. Chester is still here because he is in contract. If his contact had ended do you honestly think he would have been kept on?

Yes, it does make sense. You said it's no coincidence Chester didn't play in our ten game unbeaten run - yet we started 3 of those 10 games with clearly inferior centre backs.

And yes, I do think he'd be kept on. As I've said earlier in the thread, I think he was our second best player the season before last. I think his reputation has been tarnished for playing poorly (albeit through injury) at the end of the Bruce reign when the whole team was shit. Then being injured so not available to be associated with our winning run under Smith.

Sure, he's not going to be the best defender in the Prem - but I'm hoping he surprises a few people on here because I expect him to start at Spurs away.

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Yes, it does make sense. You said it's no coincidence Chester didn't play in our ten game unbeaten run - yet we started 3 of those 10 games with clearly inferior centre backs.

And yes, I do think he'd be kept on. As I've said earlier in the thread, I think he was our second best player the season before last. I think his reputation has been tarnished for playing poorly (albeit through injury) at the end of the Bruce reign when the whole team was shit. Then being injured so not available to be associated with our winning run under Smith.

Sure, he's not going to be the best defender in the Prem - but I'm hoping he surprises a few people on here because I expect him to start at Spurs away.

Yet they were able to perform better. That’s my point.

Â