James Chester

KJT123

If we judge Chester for those last few months when Bruce was in charge, then we also have to judge Grealish. Grealish was pretty poor under Bruce before getting sacked. Grealish was also playing with an injury much like Chester was...

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

If we judge Chester for those last few months when Bruce was in charge, then we also have to judge Grealish. Grealish was pretty poor under Bruce before getting sacked. Grealish was also playing with an injury much like Chester was...

If Jack was 30 years old, was out all season and also said the words ‘I have injured my body indefinitely’ in an interview. 

I’d be saying the same thing about him.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

F*** me it’s amazing how sentiment clouds judgement. Chester was awful last season. It’s no coincidence he played no part in our 10 game winning run. 

Well it is a bit of a coincidence to be honest considering some of the players who did play at CB in that winning run. 

I’m not against selling Chester. I worry about his injuries and perhaps his best years are behind him, plus we are buying potentially better CBs. 

But I think you’re being overly harsh on him last season considering he, by all accounts, played most or all of what he did play with a significant injury in a defence that was in tatters in front of a goalkeeper who was dreadful. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well it is a bit of a coincidence to be honest considering some of the players who did play at CB in that winning run. 

I’m not against selling Chester. I worry about his injuries and perhaps his best years are behind him, plus we are buying potentially better CBs. 

But I think you’re being overly harsh on him last season considering he, by all accounts, played most or all of what he did play with a significant injury in a defence that was in tatters in front of a goalkeeper who was dreadful. 

I’m not doubting the ability he once had. I just don’t think he will be able to cope at a high level anymore.

Happy to be wrong about him. 

Im totally against selling him as it wont be 7.5 million we get for him, more like 2 3 or at a max 4.  hes openly said hes got to manage his career from now on, no championship club are gonna pay 7.5 million for player especially a centre back who may only play 19 20 games

I think as good a servant as he has been for us in terms of loyalty if not playing ability (thinking about that penalty he gave away against reading) I would say this is business and getting a few million back given his age at this point we should be snapping hands off.

If we aren't desperate for money, I think he's worth a lot to keep around as a squad member. We have so many new players, attitude continuity is vital and Chester is a top pro.

If you take that out of it, £7-8m is great money for him. Last season he was horrible but injured, fair enough. But for me, he's only looked good next to Terry. He was average before Terry and poor after him. He's 4th or 5th choice now, and in theory, his value will be going down as opposed to up like all our other CB options.

If the offer/interest is real it's up to Smith to decide if he's of value just being around the squad. I think he might be actually.

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have a lot of respect for Chester. Decent defender and a great character. But if he was that good he would have been snapped up when the club was about to go bankrupt. 

Ill leave it at that. 

Did we sell anyone when we about to go bankrupt? Also, this is an incorrect statement considering strong reports were saying we were selling him to Stoke...

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did we sell anyone when we about to go bankrupt? Also, this is an incorrect statement considering strong reports were saying we were selling him to Stoke...

Stoke?  If he was that good wouldn’t he have been snapped up by a top flight club? 

I have no problem with him staying. I genuinely hope he is over his injury problems and can play a part next season. But if 7.5m is true then that would be very good business in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Stoke?  If he was that good wouldn’t he have been snapped up by a top flight club? 

I have no problem with him staying. I genuinely hope he is over his injury problems and can play a part next season. But if 7.5m is true then that would be very good business in my opinion. 

That wasn't the original statement. Goalposts well and truly moved.

Anyway, what that, I bow out.

Even if he makes no appearances this season, I think having someone respected and professional enough to be looked up to as Captain by the squad is invaluable. Camaraderie and togetherness is absolutely essential to a successful team, and his presence alone could be vital to that.

Nobody knows how this Premier League season is going to go. The less we rock the boat in terms of players who are trustworthy with a good attitude, the better. If he helps keep the team's morale up, he'll be worth more than 7.5m for that alone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the recent BBC podcast, Chester was saying that Wesley hasnt learned everyone's names yet, and he was calling Taylor "number 3" and Chester "number 5".

Not sure if serious.....buy funny all the same :)

• Like 2

Read his latest interview,  previously I would have been happy to have thanked him and moved him on.

Not now.

He speaks with knowledge of our club over the last 6 years and the standards which he says fell well below what is expected of our club.

It's not like we now cant afford to keep him IF he wants to move to the coaching and mentoring side of things bearing in mind our signing strategy of signing players under 26 from now on.

Dont under estimate the influence a decent model international pro can have on the moral of the squad.

Â