James Chester

KJT123

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Like Micah I dont think he will play again for us probably will retire after this contract. Not the greatest player but model professional. The type we lacked for so long and helped create new atmosphere at club along with Elphick, Jedi etc 

In my opinion, he played a big role in our promotion winning campaign. He probably isn’t good enough for The Prem anymore but he has a lot of competition for his place at this club now. I really get the feeling that we are building something here now particularly after Smith signed his new contract today

14 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Chester was great in the air. He had a hell of a leap on him. His injury hampered that and made him look much worse. The signings of mings and Hause were necessary because of how badly injured he was.

As a club taking care of Chester should now be our first priority with him. If he wants a contract extension we should give it and if he wants to be sold we should let him. However he won us 170 million by basically ending his career the least we can do is give him a tiny portion of that until what would be a natural retirement period. 

😕 Should we play him if he asks too? 

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

😕 Should we play him if he asks too? 

Not if it hinders our chance of winning. But if we discard Chester what player will risk their bodies by playing through injury for is is we through them away and don't take care of them. Plus without him we wouldn't be OK the prem. 

59 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Not if it hinders our chance of winning. But if we discard Chester what player will risk their bodies by playing through injury for is is we through them away and don't take care of them. Plus without him we wouldn't be OK the prem. 

What player should risk there body for a game? It's football not Afganistan, he's played through an injury not lost a limb! JC has been very well paid compared to his ability over the years I'm quietly confident he'll be financially secure in the years to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

What player should risk there body for a game? It's football not Afganistan, he's played through an injury not lost a limb! JC has been very well paid compared to his ability over the years I'm quietly confident he'll be financially secure in the years to come. 

Yes but he sacrificed his earning future and his international career for the success of a team that looked like it was going to finish mid table. You have to take care of players otherwise others won't want to join. 

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes but he sacrificed his earning future and his international career for the success of a team that looked like it was going to finish mid table. You have to take care of players otherwise others won't want to join

1st point - no he didn't lol he's on a good wage he's happy to see out his contract he will never earn that sort of money again.

2nd point - rubbish no one joins a team because of there compassion!

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

1st point - no he didn't lol he's on a good wage he's happy to see out his contract he will never earn that sort of money again.

If you are comparing similar level clubs you will look at who takes care of injured players and doesn't though them out with the wolves.

If chester remained fit after this contract he could have easily got a 3 or 4 year contract for a near playoff team like Derby and gotten payed quite handsomely. It isn't as if he is some mug and when fit was probably a top 6 or 7 cb in the championship. 

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

It's pretty well known that he was playing with injections and both the staff and the player knew that it was totally **** him up doing it. He *could* have refused to play until fully fit, we would have been in an even worse state before Smith and the Jan window came to save us and we'd still be in the Championship. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, romavillan said:

It's pretty well known that he was playing with injections and both the staff and the player knew that it was totally **** him up doing it. He *could* have refused to play until fully fit, we would have been in an even worse state before Smith and the Jan window came to save us and we'd still be in the Championship. 

Yeah but how many players in his position would've actually refused to play for us if they were in Chester's position. I think most would've just soldiered on tbh.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I hold Chester in a very high regard. He scored some important goals for us too, usually from set pieces. Our current CB's seem to never get to the ball in corners.

They do at our end and that's their primary job 😉

Edited by New_Hope

6 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I hold Chester in a very high regard. He scored some important goals for us too, usually from set pieces. Our current CB's seem to never get to the ball in corners.

Konsa is a magnet in the box

Think it's worth pointing out he picked up that injury playing for Wales not us, and no one held a gun to his head forcing him to to take the injections. 

We are not a charity, its just bad luck and if anyone is to blame its Steve Bruce. Maybe Bruce should offer him a contract at Newcastle.

Love Chester, but even if he was fully fit/didn't get injured he wouldn't make this Villa side now. There is a 25 man squad rule in the premier league so no place for sentimentalism, if we want to be nice to him maybe we should let him go in January on a free transfer paying up the remaining 6 months in advance - but no to a charity new contract.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2019 at 00:13, sheepyvillian said:

Let's not forget when Stoke were showing an interest in his services, he made no secret of his desire to stay with us. 

Loyalty is a rare virtue in today's game. 

He's a serious pro. A dying breed.

On 01/12/2019 at 03:30, Junxs said:

Think it's worth pointing out he picked up that injury playing for Wales not us, and no one held a gun to his head forcing him to to take the injections. 

We are not a charity, its just bad luck and if anyone is to blame its Steve Bruce. Maybe Bruce should offer him a contract at Newcastle.

Love Chester, but even if he was fully fit/didn't get injured he wouldn't make this Villa side now. There is a 25 man squad rule in the premier league so no place for sentimentalism, if we want to be nice to him maybe we should let him go in January on a free transfer paying up the remaining 6 months in advance - but no to a charity new contract.

I like Chester as far as his attitude to the club is concerned.....never been as keen as some on his ability, but its been ok at best.

I think the boat has sailed for him....If you can't dominate your position in the Championship, I'm sure the Prem is a no ,no.

Says a lot about a person doing what he did. You can only admire that. On the other hand we can't afford giving out multi million contracts because of feels. We were almost bankrupt 18 months ago. 

I think a better solution is to just remember what he did, get a song going and maybe find him a job within the club if he has the abilities to handle it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â