James Chester

KJT123

19 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

PreSeason2.ashx?mh=720&mw=1280&vs=1&d=20

Well, I have to say that even if his knee is baked meringue, he looks pretty damn fit there.

What's even more impressive is how much Jack has grown in the last few weeks. By my reckoning going by that shot he must now be 6' 7" and over 15st because he's dwarfing Chester in the foreground.

Edited by privateer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2019 at 01:15, privateer said:

Well, I have to say that even if his knee is baked meringue, he looks pretty damn fit there.

What's even more impressive is how much Jack has grown in the last few weeks. By my reckoning going by that shot he must now be 6' 7" and over 15st because he's dwarfing Chester in the foreground.

Looks like he is tip toeing and jumping 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We should demand 30 million and Kalvin Phillips for him. If the going rate for champ cbs with no prem experience is 20 mil id expect a prem defender in the twilight of his career to be worth at least that.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If Chester wanted to go I would take 7.5m for him in a heartbeat, he's 30, should be our 5th choice CB and has concerns over his long term fitness.

I don't however believe  this story for a second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2019 at 01:15, privateer said:

Think it was from all that drinking he was doing post play-off final 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

If Chester wanted to go I would take 7.5m for him in a heartbeat, he's 30, should be our 5th choice CB and has concerns over his long term fitness.

I don't however believe  this story for a second.

No I don’t believe it either because they seem to be a bit strapped for cash confirmed by Jansson’s leaving interview (could be bitterness though).  But captain material, vastly experienced, 30 year old defender in today’s market and I think he looked solid yesterday in a group of central defenders who are all inexperienced at this level.  Just doesn’t seem worth it.

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

We have very few senior players left in the team, and Chester looks like he can still play.

7.5 million won't get us a replacement of his quality and experience. 

We don't need a replacement, we have 4 centre backs without counting Chester.

However I would consider putting Chester in part x for Phillips if they fancied it...

Chester should not be allowed to leave under any circumstances! He is the club captain and we have bought too many players this summer to let one of the longer serving players walk out the door. 

If he is fit for me he starts next season alongside Mings. Then it's up to Engels/ Konsa to force their way into the team. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Chester should not be allowed to leave under any circumstances! He is the club captain and we have bought too many players this summer to let one of the longer serving players walk out the door. 

If he is fit for me he starts next season alongside Mings. Then it's up to Engels/ Konsa to force their way into the team. 

Isn't Jack the Captain? 🤔

5 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I 100% think you are wrong.

Chester should under no circumstances be first choice CB, if he is we have done something very wrong with our recruitment over the summer.

Also I'm not sure why you think he is prem quality, he was a good championship CB but never showed he was a class prem CB.

I don't forget what he did for the club in the championship, and I thank him for it, but let's not delude ourselves in thinking he should be first choice with the CB options we have, he should be 5th choice plain and simple.

I habe no issues witg keeping him as he seems to be a leader off the pitch and a good influence on the team, but he's not good enough for our first choice CB pairing by a country mile.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I'm out of 'likes' but I agree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't Jack the Captain? 🤔

Jack is team captain......Chester is Club Captain......Hence him sharing the lifting of the play off trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Chester should under no circumstances be first choice CB, if he is we have done something very wrong with our recruitment over the summer.

Also I'm not sure why you think he is prem quality, he was a good championship CB but never showed he was a class prem CB.

I don't forget what he did for the club in the championship, and I thank him for it, but let's not delude ourselves in thinking he should be first choice with the CB options we have, he should be 5th choice plain and simple.

I habe no issues witg keeping him as he seems to be a leader off the pitch and a good influence on the team, but he's not good enough for our first choice CB pairing by a country mile.

I assume if you are saying Chester is 5th choice he is behind Mings, Hause, Konsa and Engels? Of those 4 only Mings has played in the Prem and I'd guess he's played less games in the prem than Chester.

For me Mings is the nailed on starter and Hause is a left footed CB who can step in if needed. Konsa is a signing for the future and won't be starting many games, at least not in the first 2-3 months of the season. That leaves Engels and Chester battling it out for the right center back spot. I haven't seen much of Engels just yet and I hope he turns out to be a bargain but given the choice right now I'd go with Chester over him. 

What will be interesting is, has Chester lost even more pace after the injury. If so this league will expose that! 

22 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

He was our second best player the season before last, just behind Jack. The overwhelming opinion on here was that he was playing better than Terry, and people were gutted last summer that Stoke were going to pinch him off us for a pittance.

He played through injury for Bruce, and yes, wasn’t as good. No one on the team was by the end. He then missed Dean Smith’s turnaround and our form with said injury.

He’s obviously a huge figure in the dressing room, previous captain who Jack made sure he lifted the play-off trophy with. But besides squad continuity, I think he’s earned the right to be here next season for his performances.

No one on here knows what the impact of his injury will be, so it’s pointless speculating. 

Not sure why Chester starting is such a negative indictment of our summer recruitment policy either. He’s played very well for us before and he’s got great experience. Hause/Konsa will make a lot of mistakes, something we can’t really afford at the start of this season. They have the physical tools, but have been bought with the future in mind. I also highly doubt Engels is going to start either - he looks about 8 stone soaking wet.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Thanks 1

Â