James Chester

KJT123

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Still would love to see Mings-Chester

Chester's best spells of form for us have been when he's had dominant CB alongside him. Was much better alongside Baker than Elphick in 16/17 and then had a good understanding with Terry.

Didn't look great alongside Axel although he was basically playing on one leg at that stage.

I agree him and Mings could work but I feat damage has been done and he'll struggle to play many games, probably be cover on the bench if he gets through pre season o.k.

I liken James Chester to Leighton Phillips......both done a great job in our progress, but time to move on.

We are now ready for the next level of centre back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2019 at 23:10, TRO said:

I liken James Chester to Leighton Phillips......both done a great job in our progress, but time to move on.

We are now ready for the next level of centre back.

I think Leighton Phillips, AKA Blod, was replaced by Ken McNaught wasn’t he TRO? 

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 03:35, Czechlad said:

Chester isn't PL quality. He wasn't with Hull or Baggies. He did ok for us mostly with Terry next to him and now he's managing injury for rest of his career. It's a no from me

• Like 2

On 21/06/2019 at 16:35, Czechlad said:

Never been keen on Chester, i hope we sign two defenders and we see as little of Chester in the first 11 as possible.

I thank him for all his help in the championship, but I don't think he is a good prem player at all.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Chester isn't PL quality.

Most of our squad isn't but we were never going to completely rip the team apart and sell everyone considering all the other contract expirers and loan boys that went home.

For me, Nyland, Bree, Chester, Taylor, Tshitbola, Lansbury, Thor, Green, Hogan, Kodja where never going to be our first choice but they will come in handy in cup games or on a wet Wednesday night away at Burnley on our first season back.

- whoever remains from this crop going into this season I imagine will also be sold this time next season depending how well our first season back, goes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Most of our squad isn't but we were never going to completely rip the team apart and sell everyone considering all the other contract expirers and loan boys that went home.

For me, Nyland, Bree, Chester, Taylor, Tshitbola, Lansbury, Thor, Green, Hogan, Kodja where never going to be our first choice but they will come in handy in cup games or on a wet Wednesday night away at Burnley on our first season back.

- whoever remains from this crop going into this season I imagine will also be sold this time next season depending how well our first season back, goes.

I agree with that list as backup at best and that's being very generous to some of them

7 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Chester is on the plane to the US, sat next to Mings.

Perhaps the injury isn't as bad as feared? Surely they wouldn't take him unless he was going to be involved.

He was fit for selection during our run-in this season. He's recovered from the injury in the short-term. It's just that he'll never be 100% again due to the lasting damage.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He was fit for selection during our run-in this season. He's recovered from the injury in the short-term. It's just that he'll never be 100% again due to the lasting damage. 

Either he can play or he can't, though. Richards (*shudder*) was never on the injured list last season but was never fit to play.
If Chester is fit for selection, but just can't manage 2 games a week, then can he still be counted as 1 of our centre-halves this season as part of the squad? He can mainly be a sub, and be used in rotation - then we don't need to replace him. 
This does ask the question of whether Chester (risk of injury), Mings (history of injury), Konsa (not proven in PL) and Hause (not proven in PL) are enough cover in this key position. Perhaps we need 1 more?

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

Either he can play or he can't, though. Richards (*shudder*) was never on the injured list last season but was never fit to play.
If Chester is fit for selection, but just can't manage 2 games a week, then can he still be counted as 1 of our centre-halves this season as part of the squad? He can mainly be a sub, and be used in rotation - then we don't need to replace him. 
This does ask the question of whether Chester (risk of injury), Mings (history of injury), Konsa (not proven in PL) and Hause (not proven in PL) are enough cover in this key position. Perhaps we need 1 more?

One reason why Cahill on a free might not be such a bad idea.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

You can be fit to play but not 100% as good as you could have been.

In fact that's exactly the situation that left him in this situation. He could play, but not to the level he would normally be at and not without damaging himself. 

He forced himself through the barrier for us and is going to be a less effective player as a result for the rest of his career. How much less effective remains to be seen. 

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

One reason why Cahill on a free might not be such a bad idea.

I really agree with this. A proven player as part of 5 players covering those 2 positions, on a freebie and 1-year deal, feels right.
Unless they've got a gem for a bargain fee lined up? We can't spend another £20m, can we?

Â