Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

To a lesser degree I feel like McCormack is being given the "out of the picture" treatment. When a player is on the periphery, he suddenly becomes the answer. 

I only say that because of some of the things I've read online since the Blackburn game where people are taking any one of Grealish, Ayew or Adomah out of the side in order to fit him into it. I think the reality is that Ayew is our best player, not McCormack, so if we're carrying someone I'd rather it was him. The other two are playing well and don't deserve to be taken out the team. 

I think McCormack has shown over many seasons that he's a very good at this level. Unfortunately (and this isn't new for AVFC) he's not showing the same form he showed at other clubs with us. He's also suddenly not the star of the team, he's not the captain. I think that not being in the spotlight has played a part. maybe the pressure and expectation brings out the best of him, when you have players all around you who can provide the goals and create for the team just as well, you won't stand out and won't drive the team on and drag them through a match when they don't need that. 

I hope he kicks on and proves to be a vital part of the team, but I don't want him walking into this side. He needs to come into the right formation in the right game for him to affect in my opinion. Until then I'm happy for him to stay on the bench.  

Not sure about that to be honest, I think there a couple of players better than him

On 11/26/2016 at 17:58, HanoiVillan said:

'Exceptionally poor' is much too strong. 'Not as good as expected' is not 'exceptionally poor'. Joleon Lescott was 'exceptionally poor'. 

Perhaps you're right, it's more of an expectation issue. He cost a massive amount of money (for this league) and with his record one would have expected him to hit the ground running and make a significant contribution, rather than a relatively ineffective contribution. 

He hasn't looked fit from day one here, I wonder whether this is down to poor conditioning, a sheer lack of luck or whether his body is breaking down. In retrospect I'd say he has been a poor signing, I get the feeling that he is too much of a luxury and simply not dynamic enough (i.e. lacks pace and can only perform in his very, seemingly niche position). 

I think to expect him to have hit the floor running would've been naive as has been mentioned, he doesn't do that. I think the main reason his return hasn't been as good as at other clubs is that we've got options. At Leeds and Fulham, for the most part, he was the main man and even after a poor start he was likely to be one of the first names on the team sheet. Here, he's started 9 games. A combination of having other good attacking options in Kodjia, Ayew, Grealish, Gestede and Adomah and also that he's missed a few games with injury - something that he's rarely done over the previous for years.

I think he can fit in to the way Bruce set us up against Cardiff without too much issue, though. So I wouldn't say the problem is that he's a luxury player as such, because Jack played the #10 role that McCormack would've fit in to. I think the thing is that we just have 3 players wide/behind the striker that're playing very well. You don't want to drop  Ayew, Grealish or Adomah because they're so effective.

But if we want to Give McCormack a start, just put him at the #10 and have 2 of Ayew/Grealish/Adomah wide. We're very, very fortunate to have 3 players who are so good going forward, but also very aware of their defensive responsibilities in wide areas.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Not sure about that to be honest, I think there a couple of players better than him

at the moment (over the last set of games) Jedi, Baker, Chester -are "Effectively" better players. Kodjia, Adomah and Grealish could be argued too.

@KFC or whatever. £uck I'm agreeing with you - man I must see a Dr

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think it depends how you take the word. Ayew is the best footballer we have and I'd argue it being quite comfortable. But he's not as effective as some others.

If he's not effective he's not the best!

As for McCormack think he'll get 15 odd goals and be a vital cog in the run in

17 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think it depends how you take the word. Ayew is the best footballer we have and I'd argue it being quite comfortable. But he's not as effective as some others.

:huh:

I agree, if Bruce is going to persist with Kodjia out wide then we need a striker who knows where the back of the net is up front. McCormack full of confidence should be that man.

It also stops us continuing giving Gabby and Gestede game time

When fit he needs to come back in, play centrally and be given a run of games. He offers something different to Adomah, Ayew and Kodjia who are all head down and run with the ball players where as McCormack will look up and try to play others in.

I think it is important that Grealish plays just behind him as an attacking midfielder who can pick out his runs and these two are clever enough to link up play and it will allow Grealish to run beyond the forwards and have someone with the vision in McCormack to play him in.

Therefore I would look to go with Adomah and Kodjia either side of McCormack with Grealish as the attacking midfielder. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

On 02/12/2016 at 16:05, kurtsimonw said:

I would prefer a few more in the `effective' Kodjia/Adomah mould than the Ayew mould.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

When fit he needs to come back in, play centrally and be given a run of games. He offers something different to Adomah, Ayew and Kodjia who are all head down and run with the ball players where are McCormack will look up and try to play others in.

I think it is important that Grealish plays just behind him as an attacking midfielder who can pick out his runs and these two are clever enough to link up play and it will allow Grealsih to run beyond the forwards and have someone with the vision in McCormack to play him in.

Therefore I would look to go with Adomah and Kodjia either side of McCormack with Grealish as the attacking midfielder. 

I like the look of that Mark, bit of blend.

Â