Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

He definitely has a knack of getting in some good positions in front of goal and is obviously a bit short on luck/confidence at the moment. However, with the system we appear to be adopting, I just think there are better options for the starting 11. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NIVillan said:

I think I read a write up from a fan at Fulham who said he is a slow starter at a new club and we need to be patient.

I would rather wait and see, and see how adaptable he is. He is in a different environment and team situation, but may still have a lot to offer.

I just don't see him as a difference maker for us at this level...not in how we're setting up anyway.

Kodjia and Ayew yes, Adomah aswell but really McCormack was an unnecessary luxury the way the season has developed.

He can still get me eating my words though...a winning goal in the play off final and he'd have repaid his fee 4-5 times.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

God what a shocking miss  he should bw embarrased with himself there

I think he knew he was offside so just let the ball hit him without trying to deflect it in. He immediately pointed to the lino who was in his direction of vision so I think he saw he was offside immediately. 

Playing him as a target man will yield minimal results. Let's try him in goal and see how he gets on.

He wants to play where Grealish was today. Whether he should be in ahead of him is a separate argument. But if he was playing at the 10, and Grealish was up front on his own, you could easily see their performances reversing today.

Looked a poor header from him but was unlucky with the chance from Hutton's ball.

Something just isn't working for him. Not sure what it is but he looks 100 miles from a player who can score a ton of goals in a struggling team. 

He clearly has creativity but doesn't seem to be clicking with the other forwards. 

I pray it comes good but right now Grealish looks better in the hole and Gabby,  yes I said Gabby looks more lively up front. 

It's weird and I hope Bruce and McCormack can sort it out. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think he knew he was offside so just let the ball hit him without trying to deflect it in. He immediately pointed to the lino who was in his direction of vision so I think he saw he was offside immediately. 

I dunno mate looked like he was trying to score there...

Lino saved him the embarrassment. He definitely looks Low on confidence

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Playing him as a target man will yield minimal results. Let's try him in goal and see how he gets on.

He wants to play where Grealish was today. Whether he should be in ahead of him is a separate argument. But if he was playing at the 10, and Grealish was up front on his own, you could easily see their performances reversing today.

Looked a poor header from him but was unlucky with the chance from Hutton's ball.

But that's the problem...Ayew also wants to play in the same exact space drifting off the front player.

To me it's simple....play Kodjia upfront...play Ayew just off him and then have one of McCormack/Grealish as a wide option drifting in with Adomah the more direct option on the other side.

Even then we'll still struggle with two centrally against better teams in this division.

We need him to step up. Kodjia and Ayew will be off for the whole of January. He needs to join Gabby on the fitness program. He just looks a bit overweight and unfit. Lacking a bit of confidence too. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

forgetting that miss I dont think Bruce fancies him if honest, he has been benched most of his games and was took off for Gabby today

I cant see bruce continuing this trend as mccormack will be key in January so its vital we get him fit and confidence back. kodjia has really impressed and mccormack i think is struggling or trying too hard to dk whar kodj is.

I cant see us selling him as it woukd be madness to sell to another championship team even for 15m as an in form mccormack can get you promoted alone.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

forgetting that miss I dont think Bruce fancies him if honest, he has been benched most of his games and was took off for Gabby today

I think SB respects him as a player...he tried to sign him at Hull or something but is quickly realising how difficult it is to fit him into the set up he wants to play.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

But that's the problem...Ayew also wants to play in the same exact space drifting off the front player.

To me it's simple....play Kodjia upfront...play Ayew just off him and then have one of McCormack/Grealish as a wide option drifting in with Adomah the more direct option on the other side.

Even then we'll still struggle with two centrally against better teams in this division.

He is just not dynamic enough. He lacks pace and is easy to bully. Sure he has good technique and can slip some nice passes through but that's not enough, especially for £12m. The biggest problem is his lack of versatility, he seems only be able perform if deployed in a specific role, a point I think Neil Warnock made when he managed him at Leeds.

• Like 2

Think he's better as an impact player for us to be honest .  For me either Ross or Jack need to play in the number 10 role.  

I get the impression that for Ross to score goals the whole team needs to be geared up to creating him chances ,  which isn't happening with our squad. 

That said,  he was picking up some nice positions yesterday and made some excellent runs but no one picked him out.  

Â