Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Too early to call him a waste of money. You don't go from championship goal machine to utter crap in a matter of months.

I you look at his career he has actually done this a few times before.

21 goals in 38 in the 08/09 season followed by 4 in 34 in the 09/10 season with Cardiff

At Leeds he scored 18 in 45 in the 11/12 season, followed by 5 in 32 the season after. And then back to form in the following season scoring 28 in 43.

This is purely looking at the stats on WIKI so I'm sure there are reasons behind it.

But it is a pretty amazing fluctuation in scoring form.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

We should sign Scott Hogan. It appears that McCormack needs to be played in a very specific role, we need someone more dynamic, someone pacey who can play wide if he has too. McCormack's type is a dying breed and there's a good reason for it, he is largely incompatible with the modern game.

Just now, Ikantcpell said:

Evry time ive seen him play this season he looks unhappy, he dosen't look like he is enjoying playing football.

Or maybe that's just the way he is on the pitch.

Maybe he's caught a case of Ayewgitis?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I think he'll benefit from having a midfield behind him that can pass a football.

Yup. It's telling that our recent goals have mostly come from individual brilliance (well, brilliance might be overstating it at this level).

We have no midfield. We have no decent build up play, we're relying on players to make something from absolutely nothing. Put a midfield together, and this guy will score goals. We're asking a **** lot from out attackers with a huge chasm in the centre of the park.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

I thought he was playing well under RDM, I think he's only started 2 or 3 games under Bruce and not looked sure of his role, to be fair Ayew has been distinctly average recently also. To be honest only Kodjia has thrived, Adomah and Grealish have had 'moments' but no-one has been consistent at all.

I do agree having a better midfield might help, as both RDM and Bruce have been trying to compensate for the lack of midfield by playing strikers out of position.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 hour ago, poitier said:

Blimey, football must have evolved a lot in the space of a year.

As I said, he needs a very specific role in order to perform and in this day and age you need to be a bit more versatile and dynamic. There is a good reason why this guy has never played in the Premier League or even for a Championship side that seriously pushes for promotion. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Goalscorers need midfielders to assist them. We havent got them. Kodjia just creates things for himself.. different type of players. RMAC will be good after January when we sign a few midfielders (hopefully)

• Like 4

I feel sorry for him.

We dont have a midfield capable of bringing him into the game.

We have 1 (yes only 1) outlet, Adomah, for him to play to.

only Grealish has the nous to be able to play along side, but then we lose another MFer.

Our "forwards" movement and interplay is none-existant.

How can he possibly show what he's capable of?

He is willing to press, but unless SB instructs others to press, not enough from the others (at least 2 more L C R) press in tandem with him.

As nearly no-one makes themselves available for link play, no-one gives him a short pass and movement onwards for him to feed anything through.

So we should use him for what he can give us (other players to make his assets count) or sell him.

I think our future is better designed to develop our play with him in mind (especially for the run in) rather than without him just hoping for individual goals to save the day.

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

As I said, he needs a very specific role in order to perform and in this day and age you need to be a bit more versatile and dynamic. There is a good reason why this guy has never played in the Premier League or even for a Championship side that seriously pushes for promotion. 

Pretty sure he was a playoff final away from being promoted when he was at Cardiff.

17 hours ago, KSV said:

Goalscorers need midfielders to assist them. We havent got them. Kodjia just creates things for himself.. different type of players. RMAC will be good after January when we sign a few midfielders (hopefully)

That's pretty much it for me. Kodjia only looks good because he is really good. Bruce's tactics haven't done much for him since pretty much every goal Kodjia has scored under Bruce has been a pen or something he basically crafted himself. We don't have a playmaker feeding consistent chances to our strikers to finish. 

Â