Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

No, but having a decent one is one of the key components. Without that we remain on the starting blocks.  

RDM gave them a chnace and they flopped, i think he knew it but id rather he took the risk against luton than rotherham 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'd say he's not unhappy at all about going out of the cup last night. The problem for him is that he really needs to win his next game of the pressure will start to increase hugely.

It was basically a free chance to give the first team some confidence and win a game. Instead he's heaped pressure on himself already and things will turn nasty in the next two home games unless we win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'd say he's not unhappy at all about going out of the cup last night. The problem for him is that he really needs to win his next game of the pressure will start to increase hugely.

This is exactly why I would have played the kids in that game last night and just see how far they could go in the competition. 

If they got knocked out then it's no real issue, if they had have won then it would have been a great achievement.

Meanwhile, the first team squad would have taken some confidence from the game against Sheff Wed as we played well in the second half, that confidence could have been brought over to the Rotherham match.

Instead now we've got a first team who are going to be so nervous and cagey I can't see anything other than a loss with defensive errors all over the place. The pressure is massive and Rotherham will now be right up for it. Bad move by RDM imo. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

So many of the "alarmists" are critisized here because they comment about what they have just witnessed in a game or predict what is to come.

Comments like "get rid" " never again in a villa shirt" are shot down with " stop being negative" "have patience"........etc

Yet game/situation after game/situation the same old shit from the same old faces re-occurs.

"only 2 games and the knives are out already" is the latest one

FFS

I wrote some time before the season started that RDM can make things harder for himself by playing the main culprits of last season, or bit the bullet, show balls and get rid of ALL the losers and start with a new unaffected first 11 + a few.

We are in grave danger of infecting the "not so scarred" "loanees" and "new signings" because the known dumbf***s want another chance.

F*** it

the team should be made up of the following and the rest shown the door or bombsquaded

Gollini - Steer

Lyden Elphick Baker Amavi/Bennet

Tshibola/Gardner

Green/Vertout Ayew Grealish

McGoal/RHM/Kozak

plus Youth players

Ayew has already shown his frustration, a sure sign that the cancer has not been totally removed, and is in danger of crosscontaminating.

IF RDM cant see this NOW then he must go already, because the damage will go on and we'll be back to square one which is

"Flog the lot, they're all losers"

Why get rid of 15 or so players for the next "phase" at Xmas/next season when we could/should have done it 1st June 2016?

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

I wasn't sold on the appointment of RDM, I didn't even see him as a viable option. 

Since his appointment, I've read a couple of interviews and other bits, which made me think he might be better than I expected. 

last night raised a couple of concerns for me. One being his team selection following the loss to Wednesday (that selection had me a bit 'WTF' too), the other being some of his post match comments. 

Specifically when he said 'we need to get back to basics'. The reporter pressed him on what this actually meant (good question, cut through the soundbite) and the response was something along the lines of 'defend better and take our chances'. Now I know these post match interviews are a pain for managers and I don't expect a full tactical analysis of what he's going to do to turn it around, but there was more than a touch of the Sherwood in that answer for me. Like he was saying words with no real conviction of intent. Add that to the bewildered look on his face during the game (and Clarke/Bond) and I'm slightly concerned they are already a bit lost for ideas. 

Early days and I'm well aware of the need for patience, but I need to see a bit more of a plan. I've not seen any change defensively or going forward that suggests the players have clear instruction on their roles. 

We don't defend as a team, we don't attack with any kind of consistent intent and it all appears to get more aimless as the game goes on. 

Players are the key I get that, but they also need clear defined instruction and they are either not getting that or don't have the capability of acting on instruction. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

If we want promotion, stability and any chance of long term success the single most important thing we can do is say goodbye to RDM and bring in Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa. Both are available and their appointments would instantly make me 1000 times more confident of a brighter future.

We can't simply continue to blame each and every successive manager for the current situation. Whilst not absolving them of any blame, numerous successive managers have been able to address the fundamental problem which is that a sizeable proportion of our squad are a complete and utter unmitigated bag of b*llocks.

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but Baker was injured so it was forced. He needs time. Theres a soft underbelly at Villa and it might take more than a season for him to turn this around. 

Totally agree with the time and soft underbelly comment, but after a pretty much full preseason, I would expect to be seeing signs of good organisation in the defence. 

Back to basics was his comment, that for me was the first thing we should have been concentrating on in the summer. Drilling the defenders in groups of four, old school George Graham-esque ropes round the waist - up and down, side to side as unit. Never more than 5-10 yards apart, defend your 18 yard box (full backs no wider than penalty area, centre halfs within the width of the 6 yard box) Defend deep, close the space. Let teams play in front of you, with no space in behind. Don't commit to a tackle unless it's absolutely necessary (Hutton should have this in a hypno tape every night when he goes to bed). 

We see teams defend like this week in week out. Organised, disciplined and together. He should be well versed in this from his time at Chelsea, they won a champions league defending like that. 

I don't care if the players are shit, you can teach kids to defend like this. You don't need to be a great footballer to play in a well organised team. 

Lit shouldn't take more than a preseason to see improvement. You can't legislate for epic douchebaggery like Okore's blunder, but some of the other stuff should have been cut out by now. 

If we hadn't brought Tommy in, I'd be massively worried. 

• Like 1

Hoping Baker is fit for the weekend.

I think we'll be surprised how much of a difference Elphick and Baker will make at the weekend. Everytime the ball is lumped forward we'll be equipped to handle it, unlike the clowns of Richards and okore. This will massively stabilise us.

We're desperate for a new RB and another CB cause I can't see elphick and baker being injury free for another 45 games.

Yes I'm optismistic, I have to be!  Otherwise it takes too much of a toll on my mood.

• Like 1

2nd half we were garbage but my McGrath, don't we half have some horrendous luck.

Shouldnt forget (by hook or by crook) we hit the woodwork 3 times last night, their second goal (not dissimilar to Sunday) came about from a number of ricochets landing squarely in the path of one of their players 6 yards out. The 3rd goal, well, it was both unlucky and a dire bit of play.

Not making excuses for them cos whilst it's a cliche, you do make your own luck in football, just highlighting it amidst the anger and disappointment that's deservedly rife amongst us all today.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

There were glimpses under the previous managers. The biggest problem that remains at this club is that mentally our players are weak and are now used to losing. We concede a goal and we crumble and there is an air of oh no here we go again and players start to panic. We saw it last night and we saw it in the friendly against Boro.

Too many of these players are beyond fixing and you’d have to hope that the penny as dropped for Di Matteo now. I would not be surprised if a number of our players look great in training and Di Matteo could well have been thinking I can get something out of this lot that the previous managers failed to. Now the reality of what happens on match day should hopefully be a massive eye opener.

We need 5 or 6 players to come in over the next three weeks and the balance needs to shift from a team made up of the vast majority of players who were here last season to one where the vast majority are new players and not tarnished by what went on previously.

The vast majority of fans knew that this squad needed a major overhaul to have any chance of getting some forward momentum and I’d like to think if he didn’t know before that Di Matteo now thinks the same.

110% this.

• Like 1

I think the main thing we can all do at this moment in time is get right behind RDM and the players. It is early days and this is going to be a big rebuild. We have been through years of miserable football, culminating in our relegation last season. Patience is wearing thin amongst us supporters and I can understand that. I just feel miserable after our games lately and it feels like a bit of a chore. However, we will be back. Make no mistake that work is being done behind the scenes and we all need to just get out there and keep supporting the club we love. Everything will look a bit better once we get a few wins under our belt and when the squad starts to gel. I have stated in other posts that it is going to be a bumpy few months ahead but we really need to push the players forward. Let's make Villa Park a fortress again!

3 hours ago, nazvfc said:

Patience is lacking in some i'm afraid. It's not as easy  as playing a simulated game and getting rid of bad apples with a click of a mouse or button. By all means put them in a bomb squad but they are still there like s virus that spreads. And villa can't just tell them to stay away (gardening leave etc) they'd have the players union on thier backs. Let the owner and manager do thier culling etc. 

Lets not panic and start the negativity in the ground already it won't help the players the manager or the club. Until they get the recruits they obviously are looking at and want, let's hope we give them all more time than two matches. 

Making Richards Captain, and putting him in Central defence. I'm not sure that being extremely unhappy about that is a sign of a lack of patience ?

And it most certainly isn't 'culling' !

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

I dare say it's not for a lack of trying - just not easy to get rid of players who are 1) shit and 2) on big money. 

Not strictly true to say that.  What would be more accurate to say is "just not CHEEP to get rid of players who are 1)shit and 2) on big money"

It may be complex to do it but it can be done.  It is just expensive to do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Not strictly true to say that.  What would be more accurate to say is "just not CHEEP to get rid of players who are 1)shit and 2) on big money"

It may be complex to do it but it can be done.  It is just expensive to do it.

And certainly don't make them Captain !!

Â