Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People alluding to RDM being the problem must be blind , deaf, and dumb. Obviously EVERY manager we have had has been shite then.:rolleyes:

Well if you look at the last few managers:-

Sherwood

Garde

Di Matteo

All of those are shite !

If the manager position isn't right - you never progress. Compare Sunderlands last two managerial appointments to our last two and you can see where we are going wrong....

• Like 3

No need to over react just yet. Again, we were relegated from the premier league, one of the worst, pathetic relegations ever and we still have some of those players remaining. Every time though on these pages after every game we keep giving out about the lack of effort etc from Richards, Hutton, Bacuna but what's blatantly obvious besides that is just how poor these guys are on a technical level. They do the basics so badly. How did we let this go on for so long. 

I won't have a problem with him for the time being as long as he gets the message now that he can't fix some of the shit players we have and needs to get rid or make a new bomb squad and keep them away from the squad. Some have bad attitudes and some are just terrible and the likes of Richards, Gestede and Okore have both. 

2 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

We can't simply continue to blame each and every successive manager for the current situation. Whilst not absolving them of any blame, numerous successive managers have been able to address the fundamental problem which is that a sizeable proportion of our squad are a complete and utter unmitigated bag of b*llocks.

We certainly can blame successive managers when we continue to make second rate and uninspired appointments.

The fundamental problem is we lack spirit, desire, discipline and direction both individually and as a whole and the only way of addressing that is by appointing a manager who is capable of instilling it via their concepts and methods, presence, guidance and leadership style. It's what was missing last season and is still missing now. The influence of a manager who brings that to the table just can't be underestimated.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Not strictly true to say that.  What would be more accurate to say is "just not CHEEP to get rid of players who are 1)shit and 2) on big money"

It may be complex to do it but it can be done.  It is just expensive to do it.

While that's true we are talking millions of pounds here - it's just not a realistic expectation.

32 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

We certainly can blame successive managers when we continue to make second rate and uninspired appointments.

The fundamental problem is we lack spirit, desire, discipline and direction both individually and as a whole and the only way of addressing that is by appointing a manager who is capable of instilling it via their concepts and methods, presence, guidance and leadership style. It's what was missing last season and is still missing now. The influence of a manager who brings that to the table just can't be underestimated.

Agree with most of this it's common sense, we don't know what he does behind closed doors, wrong to write RDM off though in my opinion after oh what, 8 weeks and 2 games? Maybe Pantillimon for player manager ;-)

9 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

Agree with most of this it's common sense, we don't know what he does behind closed doors, wrong to write RDM off though in my opinion after oh what, 8 weeks and 2 games? Maybe Pantillimon for player manager ;-)

I just think he is wrong for us. Far to passive, much to much like Remi Garde 

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I just think he is wrong for us. Far to passive, much to much like Remi Garde 

You've no idea whether this is true or not. You are basing his management style on a handful of interviews with the press. 

For what it's worth I know for a fact that Remi was not "passive". Some of them HATED him, which rarely happens when a manager is passive. He just wasn't good enough.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You've no idea whether this is true or not. You are basing his management style on a handful of interviews with the press. 

For what it's worth I know for a fact that Remi was not "passive". Some of them HATED him, which rarely happens when a manager is passive. He just wasn't good enough.

Yep - really getting tired of hearing this "passive" nonsense. It is literally based on demeanor which is ridiculous - you don't need to be a shouty word removed to be disciplined.

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Actually a little more than that. I live in yam yam land plenty of wba fans say he is ok if he can get things moving in the right direction. But is the man to do a lot of ass kicking, and a drastic overhaul - then emphatically no.

There's also something doing the rounds that he has a lot of business\propery interests back in italy. You just wonder as he made richards captain and put at CB - how much research has he been putting in.

I never heard any players say a bad word about Remi - almost all pundits, people close to the club, just said (politely) that he never really got the grips with the issues - and just went through the motions.

Anyway, we are where we are , I wouldn't be surprised if RDM doesn't make Christmas. A daft appointment from the outset. I hope its not indicative of the type of manager XIA is going to recruit. If it is who knows where this season ends.

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

Actually a little more than that. I live in yam yam land plenty of wba fans say he is ok if he can get things moving in the right direction. But is the man to do a lot of ass kicking, and a drastic overhaul - then emphatically no.

There's also something doing the rounds that he has a lot of business\propery interests back in italy. You just wonder as he made richards captain and put at CB - how much research has he been putting in.

I never heard any players say a bad word about Remi - almost all pundits, people close to the club, just said (politely) that he never really got the grips with the issues - and just went through the motions.

Anyway, we are where we are , I wouldn't be surprised if RDM doesn't make Christmas. A daft appointment from the outset. I hope its not indicative of the type of manager XIA is going to recruit. If it is who knows where this season ends.

It isn't a daft appointment, a champions league winning manager with a promotion from the championship on his CV? To suggest it is daft is daft in itself!

in fact, RDM is verging on a very sensible appointment when put in comparison to Walter Zenga or keeping Pulis!

Edited by Mjvilla

RDM wasn't on my wish list if I'm honest, my main worry was that he comes across as quite passive, but i must say he has gone some way to allaying my fears. 

The emphasis he has placed on character, as well as quality is pleasing. I'm happy with all 4 of his signings so far, and im encouraged by the links to Chester, Jedinak and the boy from Leicester. 

Also encouraging is the purging of the crap. Sure I'd like to see a few more gone, but if I'm being completely honest I didn't think we would shed as many as we already have. 

Last night was disappointing to say the least, but i believe come the end of the window, with another 3/4 out and 4/5 in, the squad will be unrecognisable from the shit last season, and ultimately much stronger. 

Its always been my belief that promotion this season was to big an ask due to the sheer scale of the task, but i think long term, this bloke just might do a bloody good job. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I go back to my point, how on earth do they know what he's like on the training ground and in the dressing room?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

So far we have binned about 8 players, with others told they can leave, and seriously improved the spine of the team with the 4 signings so far. 

So far he seems to be doing a pretty good job of overhauling the squad.

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

While that's true we are talking millions of pounds here - it's just not a realistic expectation.

to be honest if we were ever given this scenario as a choice (and I realise it is unrealistic but hey he's tweeting everything at the minute so who knows ) - "We can sign another 7 players no worries or we can sign 5 and pay off Richards and one other" I'd take the second option

I also thought the Petrol decision was a tough one that potentially could have backfired on him.

He was not my first choice but considering where we were at/are,I'm pretty happy we have him and they backroom team he has assembled.

I also (in a non-homersexual way) find his mouth fascinating during interviews.its like a subtle alien.

Â