Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

10 minutes ago, heid3ster said:

Yes, this, absolutely. If anything, today erased some of the positives I took from Sunday.

Welp, perhaps the only positive we should take is that it is not our starting 11. However suggests than we need a whole new second string! ( New first teamers putting some of the "passable" first teamers on the bench)

1 hour ago, Grumpy_Lion said:

I agree. I thought he looked so cross tonight, it must be so frustrating to set up a team and then see them perform like that. It's one thing going 2-1, 3-1 down to a side two leagues below you but then to have no reaction to it, how does he fix that? that's the key for me, the mentality still seems the same and that has to be first on the list to sort. 

I didn't really see much of a set up to be honest. RdM just seemed clueless again tonight IMO

• Like 1

If we want promotion, stability and any chance of long term success the single most important thing we can do is say goodbye to RDM and bring in Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa. Both are available and their appointments would instantly make me 1000 times more confident of a brighter future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If we want promotion, stability and any chance of long term success the single most important thing we can do is say goodbye to RDM and bring in Guus Hiddink or Marcelo Bielsa. Both are available and their appointments would instantly make me 1000 times more confident of a brighter future.

So to gain stability we should sack the manager we employed a couple of months ago, and employ a bloke thats had 5 jobs in the last 5yrs, or a certified nut job that quit his last job after 2 days? Makes sense.

You must be on the wind up mate. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

So to gain stability we should sack the manager we employed a couple of months ago, and employ a bloke thats had 5 jobs in the last 5yrs, or a certified nut job that quit his last job after 2 days? Makes sense.

You must be on the wind up mate. 

The manager we employed a couple of months ago is heading down the same path as those before him.

Hiddink bought stability and success to Australia and to Chelsea last season when they were in danger of relegation and would do the same for us.

Bielsa is a gamble worth taking. He has as good a chance as anyone of getting us promoted and has potential to be a huge success in the premier league if he can get us there.

3 hours ago, Michael118 said:

obama-smells-weed-memes.jpg

What tosh. RDM is not nigel p but a diminutive little fella who doesnt throw his weight around. He chose elphick as captain to do the shouting and by giving richards the same chance as a way for him to redeem himself he was let down so badly. This is why we need a captain also in the middle as backup should elphick not be in the side.

Edited by Jareth

In a way it's good he used a team based on majority of last seasons players in a cup game. Now he knows he can rely on certain shit players so hopefully they are gone and we get a number of players in, not losers like last night

People gave RDM kudos for not giving Petrov a contract for sentimental reasons. I wanted him to be part of the squad because he is a mature calm influence and I think tonight was exactly the sort of game that having Petrov around for would have paid dividends.

There are no leaders in this squad (apart from possibly Elphick) and this team hasn't won a game in 6 months. The fortunes of AVFC are not going to improve because we are one tier lower in English football. The fortunes of AVFC are only going to change with major personnel changes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

Oh, and several of us who watched the capitulation in the friendly against Boro' expressed huge concern that it did not appear that the shattered mentality of the Team had improved at all.

Whilst I understand a few fans wrote this of as it was in respect of a friendly I didnt expect the Manager to be so blind about it. Seems he was. Disturbing.

You had one chance, RDM, consisting of two choices. Either alter their mentality by force of the power of your own character, or ruthlessly dispose of the great majority, however disruptive that can be. There is a strong possibility that window has gone, this issue of character, more than anything will define our season.

I hope, and that's all it is, in the absence of evidence, that a bit of luck, McCormack firing, and some quick wins, might do it, but I don't see how else.

The really really bad thing is, I'm no longer sure we have hit bottom yet.

Fingers crossed that was it ?

Yep

Ppeople took the piss but the boro game showed that so many issues from last year were still hanging around. 

• Like 2

I think your being overly harsh Woddytom which is really unlike you so I'm surprised to read that. 

There have been glimpses, we've played well in patches in several matches since he's been here. 

No doubts that he has a hell of a lot of work to do but we knew that before he signed so how about we don't write him off just yet? 

Edited by villaglint

Too early to make a definitive judgement on RDM but I echo others comments in saying nothing seems to have changed despite him having a pre-season with them.

He may have been trying a few players out yesterday but he didn't change the formation when it was going to pot.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Your choice us stick with rdm or spend a fortune on managerial removal and appoint Steve Bruce. It ain't going to happen. Best we can all do is hope he gets it right 

Well if we bid £17m for a teenager a couple of million to pay off 'Moneybox face' shouldn't be a problem.

As a daft a choice as Remi Garde to be honest. Hope Tony Learns quickly. Of course 2 games is way to early - be October time before the pressure ramps up. 

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think your being overly harsh Woddytom which is really unlike you so I'm surprised to read that. 

There have been glimpses, we've played well in patches in several matches since he's been here. 

No doubts that he has a hell of a lot of work to do but we knew that before he signed so how about we don't write him off just yet? 

There should be glimpses when you have a £14m striker and are playing a div 4 side.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

There should be glimpses when you have a £14m striker and are playing a div 4 side.

A 14 million striker who is not yet match fit, so had to come off, hence nullifying our threat. Frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. A fact, yes.

Â