Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

He really should be able to do this fwiw. Really isn't difficult. 

sure Rafa Benitez went into Newcastle and made them look solid for run-in and they had Janmaat, Coloccini and Dummett in back 4

I am abit concerned where get us talking about confidence being  rock bottom already after two games. Seriously barring the new players as they seem to have done fight in them, what absolute losers. They would be sacked in any other job.

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Yeah, that's what I said :rolleyes:

The defence was organised against Sheffield Wednesdsy. It was organised with last seasons players for the 1st half at Luton where it fell apart was having Okore play LCB Richards move to CB and have Hutton come into the team. Last seasons players are brittle and in a few cases simply not good enough. Luton can turn out to be the best result of the season as it showed the weakness in the squad. You can train players all day but it still comes down to ability. The same players that we knew weren't good enough last year don't get any better because we dropped a division. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

The defence was organised against Sheffield Wednesdsy. It was organised with last seasons players for the 1st half at Luton where it fell apart was having Okore play LCB Richards move to CB and have Hutton come into the team. Last seasons players are brittle and in a few cases simply not good enough. Luton can turn out to be the best result of the season as it showed the weakness in the squad. You can train players all day but it still comes down to ability. The same players that we knew weren't good enough last year don't get any better because we dropped a division. 

It is about individual ability, but it is also about the ability to link with each other.....The coordination and cohesion was missing.

Amavi was caught too far forward and created too big a gap between him and our other defender and Luton exploited that gap....It was fairly basic really and a classic case of players not being aware or appreciating where their mates are.

I think sometimes there is a greater tendency to get forward than to defend or contain and control......They want their dessert, but won't eat their dinner.

• Like 1

Trouble is that especially at home if we don't attack at full pelt and pass the ball the crowd (well those who think they know it all behind me) yell to go forward. Sometimes it's better not to go hell for leather. Let's hope the new guys lead the way. Big day today need crowd 100% behind huge team no moaning or booing which I'm sure there will be if we don't win! 

Edited by nazvfc

I can't think of a day in recent times where so many positives were on display at one time.

long way to go, I know.....but that today was very encouraging.

• Like 1

Very pleased with all the signings so far and happy with the future links. Seems to know exactly what was needed.  Glad we're not going to exotic sounding unknowns from France,  Italy etc but going for players who have done it in England already and many of them in teams promoted from the Aston Villa founded football league. 

When discussing the suitability of RDM for the job in hand at this club as a lot of people did question his appointment,  you do have to remember that he has previously promoted a team so he knows what he's doing alright. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Very pleased with all the signings so far and happy with the future links. Seems to know exactly what was needed.  Glad we're not going to exotic sounding unknowns from France,  Italy etc but going for players who have done it in England already and many of them in teams promoted from the Aston Villa founded football league. 

When discussing the suitability of RDM for the job in hand at this club as a lot of people did question his appointment,  you do have to remember that he has previously promoted a team so he knows what he's doing alright. 

I think Gollini could be considered exotic? B)  Just joking mate and agree that RDM and his team appear to be doing very well.  I do wonder if the line up last Wednesday was done as a bit of a test and RDM gave them some rope to hang themselves?  What it did do is prove to him that some still in the squad are simply not good enough, even for the Championship.  An important couple of weeks ahead now, which includes further signings and results - confidence building is key and yesterday was a good platform! 

Edited by ferguson1

I've just watched extended highlights of the Rotherham game.

Ive not seen Aston Villa look that assured and confident, save for maybe the Liverpool win, for 4 or 5 years. Some of the team football was brilliant. Importantly, the players games complimented each other far more than I've seen from an 11 since O'Neill. I think RDM has identified the players needed to bring balance to the squad, as well as the right leadership.

Very pleased right now.

• Like 4

Â