Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

What's worried me is that it seems he hasn't done any research into last year. 

It's more than that. As I said a couple of weeks ago, by far the most disturbing event of pre season was his statement that " it's not fair to judge them on 12 months".

He was wrong then, and it is already proving a big big misjudgement.

• Like 4

I think I can sum up his facial hair expression in two words: bemused and angry.

If I was him what would really p*ss me off would be the total absence of any mental strength. We completely capitulated yet again.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

If Steve Clarke was brought in as defensive coach, well after tonight he might be looking for a new job. that was as bad as ive seen under previous managers

You need players that can play defensive players with a defensive footballing brain. You can't coach rubbish.

Just now, VillaBrum said:

You need players that can play defensive players with a defensive footballing brain. You can't coach rubbish.

maybe you cant coach it but organisation is not rocket science. look at the Euros teams like Albania, Northern Ireland, Iceland dont have defenders playing in top leagues but were organised and hard to break down

• Like 3

Just now, Zatman said:

maybe you cant coach it but organisation is not rocket science. look at the Euros teams like Albania, Northern Ireland, Iceland dont have defenders playing in top leagues but were organised and hard to break down

Nice reply :) I know nothing about football coaching but, in this instance, I must agree with you. I WILL learn football techniques as quickly as I can. In the meantime UTV :D

• Like 1

I can just about live with us playing utterly formless football.....I will tell myself it takes time to instill a shape, for all to know their roles.

I can even force myself to consider that organising a defence can sometimes be fraught.

And I could somehow persuade myself that there is an outside chance that Gestede could one day be worth a place up front.

But I (yes, already) find it hard, if not impossible, to be understanding and patient about him failing to identify, in respect of those three things, that

our character is so shot to nothing that playing virtually an entire side from last year would be catastrophic,

Richards should not be within 1000 miles of the Team ( God forbid captain, then Central defence),

or that if Rudy has a role it can only ever be with at least one player being an out and out winger.

There are many other criticisms, but on those three counts I already struggle to think why I should give him the benefit of the doubt. They are obvious, fundamental, and he apparently has failed to see them.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Agree but it still needs installation in the players and that's where the character comes from. From what we have seen very little players from last season currently have it, and it looks like it is going to take a while to build back up. If defensively we had: 

Gollini

New RB - Elphick - Baker - Amavi

New DM

This would be a defensive unit more or less unaffected by last season; all "new" to the team. Can instill the organisation in them but it will be a lot quicker and easier with the new players rather than the old ones.

didnt like the subs, but a) he's learning the squad and b ) from Tony's tweet and RDM pre match saying "places on Saturday" he was really saying "places in the squad". The only real sense in today was testing the resolve of some players and whether then can hack it. 

The majority failed and will hopefully been moved on. We can't forget that we have had the "pleasure" of this for over a year. Whilst it might be obvious on videos etc. there's nothing quite like seeing it up close and testing it in a competitive match. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Those teams had passion, pride and willingness to put their heads on the line, something that we lack.

• Like 2

Oh, and several of us who watched the capitulation in the friendly against Boro' expressed huge concern that it did not appear that the shattered mentality of the Team had improved at all.

Whilst I understand a few fans wrote this of as it was in respect of a friendly I didnt expect the Manager to be so blind about it. Seems he was. Disturbing.

You had one chance, RDM, consisting of two choices. Either alter their mentality by force of the power of your own character, or ruthlessly dispose of the great majority, however disruptive that can be. There is a strong possibility that window has gone, this issue of character, more than anything will define our season.

I hope, and that's all it is, in the absence of evidence, that a bit of luck, McCormack firing, and some quick wins, might do it, but I don't see how else.

The really really bad thing is, I'm no longer sure we have hit bottom yet.

Fingers crossed that was it ?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

defensive "organisation" demands couldnt be anymore different when comparing tonight for villa and those teams. Its kind of pointless mentioning those teams as if we should be trying to be organised like them. Its a ton easier for those teams to be organised given what they are trying to achieve in a game from a defensive POV. 

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Those teams had passion, pride and willingness to put their heads on the line, something that we lack.

those teams had the joy of being able to play two rows of back 4/5 and not be criticised if they never have the ball in the opposition half in full 90mins. Something that we lack given were playing L2   but yeh "passion" is the difference in why one is more organised than the other from defensive POV

Edited by gharperr

1 minute ago, gharperr said:

those teams had the joy of being able to play two rows of back 4/5 and not be criticised if they never have the ball in the opposition half in full 90mins. Something that we lack given were playing L2   but yeh "passion" .

well, one thing I noticed about those sides was that, when a player tried to kick the ball or do an overhead kick, they would literally try to put their face between the leg and the ball, you would not see our players do that, like you won't not see an England player do it (for example when that Iceland player tried the overhead kick vs. England, Wilshire pulled his head out, so that he would not get hurt). Passion also helps with being willing to do as the manager says and willingness to win, also it allows the players to put that little bit of extra work into their jobs. That is what I call passion and that is something that we lack big times (though I do believe that Elphick and Baker are not scared of getting hurt and could possibly be our answer for centre backs).

But I do also agree that their whole team playing defensively makes it A LOT easier for the defense to play well and focus solely on their jobs.

I think RDM selected a decent team and set us up well , which showed in the first twenty minutes.

However, he needs to sort out this losing and defeatist culture within the squad.  Whenever we're up against it, we bottle it and certain senior players (Richards especially) do nothing to instil calm and order.

I feel for him - he's inherited a snake-pit of a team and slowly weeding out those who aren't good for the squad. We need to act quickly now and bring in the players he needs to change our attitude and fortunes.

Just now, theboyangel said:

I think RDM selected a decent team and set us up well , which showed in the first twenty minutes.

However, he needs to sort out this losing and defeatist culture within the squad.  Whenever we're up against it, we bottle it and certain senior players (Richards especially) do nothing to instil calm and order.

I feel for him - he's inherited a snake-pit of a team and slowly weeding out those who aren't good for the squad. We need to act quickly now and bring in the players he needs to change our attitude and fortunes.

I agree. I thought he looked so cross tonight, it must be so frustrating to set up a team and then see them perform like that. It's one thing going 2-1, 3-1 down to a side two leagues below you but then to have no reaction to it, how does he fix that? that's the key for me, the mentality still seems the same and that has to be first on the list to sort. 

• Like 1

I get what you're saying TBA - kind of like a 'this is what he's trying to do' versus 'this is what he has to fight against' situation. Not easy for him but if we continue the outs and get more of the types we've already signed in, we'll be in a better position.

• Like 2

Easily our biggest concern is our midfield out of possession in my opinion.  Shame we had to sell the only player in our team who could aggressively plug holes defensively.

Playing midfield two of Gardner and Westwood is just too slow. (Tsibola didn't really catch my eye apart from some nice possession passing in first 35mins...I know they easily managed to bypass midfield with no pressure what so ever when it happened tonight. Same as Sunday)

Edited by gharperr

Â