Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

I’d completely forgot about him. 

Think he got swayed with Xia’s spending which eventually resulted in a very scatter gun approach to transfers. 

He choose Elphick as his captain and made him his first signing, it made sense. However, a month down the line it came apparent Chester was available. So he went after him. This made no sense as both Elphick and Chester have similar styles, so weren’t going to play well together. They needed someone like Baker to man mark and head next to them. 

He did similar with the strikers, buying McCormack and then going after Kodjia, not thinking how they would work together.

For a while we played some decent stuff going forward but defensively we looked like we would concede from every attack. 

I’m not surprised he hasn’t had another management role, but I did think Lampard may  have had him as a coach

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Could have been so different though. How many games were we playing well, only to throw it away in stoppage time? I feel like it was 4 or 5 in a row. I think I remember reading that if the game ended on 90 minutes, we'd have been 5th-6th he got sacked?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is just not true. 

His thread is still up you know. A couple of grumbles about the fee, but most people were on board and the consensus was these are the type of signings you need to make to get promoted. You even compared it to the Darren Bent signing; serves a purpose etc. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Could have been so different though. How many games were we playing well, only to throw it away in stoppage time? I feel like it was 4 or 5 in a row. I think I remember reading that if the game ended on 90 minutes, we'd have been 5th-6th he got sacked?

This

We just couldn't close out games under him, iirc our first game that season was Sheffield Wednesday away, we were coming away with a point until I think gollini ballsed up a clearance and we lost, from game it was always the same, play well, concede at the end and lose or draw

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Sheff Weds on the opening day was 0-0 up to 85th minute then Gollini kicked straight to Foresterri.

We battered Huddersfield for 60 minutes, could only score once and then Gollini again kicks straight at their player and it goes in.

Derby away played very well...remember Gardner hitting a great shot that hit the post and ran along the goalline.

Forest at home, battered them but conceded late on with one Henri Lansbury scoring.

Performances against Brentford and Barnsley weren't quite so strong but again leading 1-0 in both going into last five minutes.

So yes could've easily had another 10 points on the board but we didn't and final performance at PNE was shocking so with two week international break the board still wanted a shot at top 6 so guess that's why they made the change.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sheff Weds on the opening day was 0-0 up to 85th minute then Gollini kicked straight to Foresterri.

We battered Huddersfield for 60 minutes, could only score once and then Gollini again kicks straight at their player and it goes in.

Derby away played very well...remember Gardner hitting a great shot that hit the post and ran along the goalline.

Forest at home, battered them but conceded late on with one Henri Lansbury scoring.

Performances against Brentford and Barnsley weren't quite so strong but again leading 1-0 in both going into last five minutes.

So yes could've easily had another 10 points on the board but we didn't and final performance at PNE was shocking so with two week international break the board still wanted a shot at top 6 so guess that's why they made the change.

Which was fine, nobody was losing sleep over him being sacked but you can see why he was miffed. The board intimated to him when he joined that they understood promotion wasn't going to be immediate, but then they sacked him after 11 games citing promotion and our distance from that goal.

Then to compund matters further, they stick with his successor for 2+ more years despite him not delivering on the promotion that was apparently so urgent for them, and going on a much worse run than him in that first season.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Then to compund matters further, they stick with his successor for 2+ more years despite him not delivering on the promotion that was apparently so urgent for them, and going on a much worse run than him in that first season.

My memory is that by the time we went on that winless run under Bruce, we had already won several games under him and looked a lot more organised.

It was probably the right move to sack him when they did. If RDM is correct when he says that the club knew the first season would be tough, then I guess 1 win in 11 was too tough for Xia and Wyness to take.

I don’t think we’d have been relegated, the form probably would have picked up. However I very much doubt we’d be near the play offs under him. Probably a bit below our eventual 13th.

My abiding thought is how I wish I was at all ITK on his appointment, I think he was 80-1 to get the job.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Blimey International breaks are so boring that we're arguing about this clown

Certainly no clown in my book, both a successful manager and player, but this sums up my thoughts nicely otherwise.

• 3 years later...
Â