Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which was absolutely fine against Sheffield Wednesday. 

Well, I didn't see the game so can't comment.

suffice to say.....another individual error.

the comment i made regarding the defensive side of our game, was not aimed at individual games, but the trend we have created.

We do not resemble anything close to organised.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, I didn't see the game so can't comment.

suffice to say.....another individual error.

the comment i made regarding the defensive side of our game, was not aimed at individual games, but the trend we adopt.

We do not resemble anything close to organised.

So you've seen the one game on Wednesday night? Not much of a "trend". 

We were terrible Wednesday. We know our second string defence is nowhere near good enough. You could argue he should have known that already, I agree.

They did alright vs Sheff Wednesday. Most people had Elphick MOTM, I had him a close second to Baker. Despite the full backs being generally crap, they looked organised. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So you've seen the one game on Wednesday night? Not much of a "trend". 

We were terrible Wednesday. We know our second string defence is nowhere near good enough. You could argue he should have known that already, I agree.

They did alright vs Sheff Wednesday. Most people had Elphick MOTM, I had him a close second to Baker. Despite the full backs being generally crap, they looked organised. 

Very noble and that is not meant to be sarcastic.....but i do remember last season.

I'm surprised you seem to have dismissed that with such ease in challenging my comment regarding "trend"

we simply can't win a competitive game....this kinda needs a bit of focus imo.......I'm trying to add value as to why that is, as opposed to pacifying myself game to game on the peaks and troughs we engage in.

Despite the positives of the Sheffield wednesday encounter.....we Lost.....its endemic.

i still say defensively as a team we are woeful.....woeful without the ball and woeful at closing down.

We play a game that resembles a team that have just won Ten on the bounce.....when in fact.....well you know, its light years from the truth.

We started with 4 in midfield against Luton, Gardner isnt great defensively he's slow and tackles with a foul, neither Green or Grealish are defensive in anyway I can see. So one midfielder who can be defensive against Luton was always going to make it hard for our defense.

Does anyone see it any different to this? I can only assume our management thought it was going to be a festival of goals from our offensive players, can anyone enlighten me to the logic behind it? 

We seem to have paradoxically become obsessed with the notion that we must entertain.

Nothing wrong with that providing you get the "bread an butter "side of the job done first.....We don't.....we seem to have abandoned the very basics of the game.

Our cake has no sponge or icing.....just cherries on the top.

It all requires a fundamental rethink.....In some cases from the fans as well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our cake has no sponge or icing.....just cherries on the top.

It all requires a fundamental rethink.....In some cases from the fans as sell.

Hopefully our players will rise to the occasion next match and doughnut let us down.

I'll see myself out :blush:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Very noble and that is not meant to be sarcastic.....but i do remember last season.

I'm surprised you seem to have dismissed that with such ease in challenging my comment regarding "trend"

we simply can't win a competitive game....this kinda needs a bit of focus imo.......I'm trying to add value as to why that is, as opposed to pacifying myself game to game on the peaks and troughs we engage in.

Despite the positives of the Sheffield wednesday encounter.....we Lost.....its endemic.

i still say defensively as a team we are woeful.....woeful without the ball and woeful at closing down.

We play a game that resembles a team that have just won Ten on the bounce.....when in fact.....well you know, its light years from the truth.

This is the Di Matteo thread and I read your post as a criticism of him, that he hasn't gotten a handle on organising them yet. 

Clearly he won't have, the issues are not exactly confined to organisation either. There is a serious lack of ability and mental deficiency. That said, they looked super organised against Sheffield Wednesday, so it counter balances your point. 

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

They're more than good enough to not be a complete and utter shambles against Luton Town. m

4 managers on the evidence suggests otherwise. Whether the problems be mental or physical - Richards, Hutton, Okore in particular are not good enough. Even for this level. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

4 managers on the evidence suggests otherwise. Whether the problems be mental or physical - Richards, Hutton, Okore in particular are not good enough. Even for this level. 

They're plenty good enough to be organised at this level. The 4 managers if I may add were absolutely woeful! 

Not asking for much from RDM, just some sign that we can set up a team with a clear plan. Yet to see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

They're plenty good enough to be organised at this level. The 4 managers if I may add were absolutely woeful! 

Not asking for much from RDM, just some sign that we can set up a team with a clear plan. Yet to see it.

So you're already declaring RDM useless because he can't organise Richards and Okore to defend?

2 competitive games man. Come on. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is the Di Matteo thread and I read your post as a criticism of him, that he hasn't gotten a handle on organising them yet. 

Clearly he won't have, the issues are not exactly confined to organisation either. There is a serious lack of ability and mental deficiency. That said, they looked super organised against Sheffield Wednesday, so it counter balances your point. 

I never criticised him directly, you just assumed that because its in his thread.....He just carries the can

I'm telling you what I saw against Luton and the majority of last season. Di Matteo wasn't here Last season, so where you got that from I simply don't know.

Maybe he and all the other managers have been saying the right things but they (the players) can't follow instructions.

I commented on the fact we can't defend, in just about any aspect of the game, from the front in the middle and at the back.

I am not blaming anyone, because I don't know the answer or the solution.

I am not privy to what they do in training.....I can only comment on what I see.

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@TRO you actually didn't say any of that. All you said was "he must get to grips with the defensive side", which implies that he isn't/hasn't so far, or thinks it isn't a problem. 

Fair enough.....but I thought he did need to concentrate/ get to grips with the defence at the time of writing.

I am still in support of him, but that is different from watching a poor defensive display and accepting/ condoning it.

My comments where made before Chester was signed, so it seems he IS getting to grips with the defence......and from my   Point of view, very reassuring.

I am unsure whether the problem is personnel or just organisation....I am still dubious in our state of coming out gungo and entering in to offensive football without winning the right to.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Final test for Hutton Richards okore or not

If RDM cant see that we

1) dont have RB good enough

2) Cissokho & a half fit LB (Amavi)

3) no DM or 2 CM's capable of protecting the back 4

Then surely he must try a balanced back 3 with wing backs bulking up a weak Midfield

3-5-2 would also give us a 5-3-2 if the WB's dropped back. Defending in numbers with a bit of a plan & discipline cant be that difficult

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Final test for Hutton Richards okore or not

If RDM cant see that we

1) dont have RB good enough

2) Cissokho & a half fit LB (Amavi)

3) no DM or 2 CM's capable of protecting the back 4

Then surely he must try a balanced back 3 with wing backs bulking up a weak Midfield

3-5-2 would also give us a 5-3-2 if the WB's dropped back. Defending in numbers with a bit of a plan & discipline cant be that difficult

In our present state of results, we need to make it difficult for the opposition, if we get beat fair enough but we must make the ******** work for it.

we are far too benevolent.

We must work hard to get that mean edge back.....and set the team up to do that.

If it means a few unsavoury performances until we get that confidence back.

Edited by TRO

I am pleased with who he has signed and the players we are being linked with. Seems to understand what the issues are and what is needed to fix our broken squad. Shame we couldn't have done it all earlier but these things take time. 

Â