The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Aren’t they by and large incredibly ill informed  at every GE as well ?  That’s kinda democracy for you 

But as I recall the wording for the referendum  was changed at the suggestion of the electoral commission with the view of making it as simple as possible and then passed through parliament  by everyone (except the SNP as per their standard MO to not vote for anything Tory )

Yes they are, but it's a far more general sounding out at a GE.  In asking about a very specific proposition, it's reasonable to expect more, and more accurate, information.

The precise wording of the question is not where the deception occurred.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes they are, but it's a far more general sounding out at a GE.  In asking about a very specific proposition, it's reasonable to expect more, and more accurate, information.

Again, that's democracy.

Who was supposed to provide the accurate information? Government? Parliament?

And what does it matter, considering that a racist biggot would have voted leave, an a scare all "we are gonna run out of food" vegan would have voted remain regardless of any information?

This is democracy in its purest form and it hasn't passed the test here.

5 minutes ago, peterms said:

It was more the specificity of "Remain" which was completely clear, and the ambiguity of "Leave" which was entirely vague.

It'd be like asking "Do you want cake?"  With the options being "Chocolate cake" or "Yes".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

What is it with Tories not making sure they have the numbers? Don’t they teach maths at Eton? 

So that's ten pieces of silver in total. Eight for me, two for you. Be careful the immigrants don't take one of yours.

But if we only charged nine pieces of silver, there'd be more trade and we'd all be better off. I'd have eight, you could have one. Be careful the immigrants don't take yours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, peterms said:

Possibly , but  with my post I was addressing  the point about it being a “Bloody stupid question “ 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Possibly , but  with my post I was addressing  the point about it being a “Bloody stupid question “ 

I fear you've misinterpreted my post though. It's not the phrasing of the question I take issue with, it's asking a question where one answer is "leave things the same", and the other covers dozens of possible variations, many of which are completely at odds with each other.

It was a stupid question to ask, I'm not bothered about the wording of it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

But as I recall the wording for the referendum  was changed at the suggestion of the electoral commission with the view of making it as simple as possible

Exactly - IT'S NOT A **** ING SIMPLE ISSUE!!! 

Some of us knew it wasn't a simple question.

Shouted down, the argument made if its so complicated it must be bad, etc etc.

I hope in the eventual inquiry about this, some people go to jail. Of course they won't, but you have to hope.

• Like 2

Actual headline at The Guardian.

Brexit Westminster is like the Crystal Maze on crystal meth

And some gems in the text

The last sign of artificial intelligence in a Maybot is an awareness of inbuilt obsolescence.

The quantum Brexit had become ever more relative. And parliament was still left wondering quite what it had taken back control of as it had contrived to vote against everything. Bollocks to everything. The will of the people was to remain indefinitely in a tenth circle of hell.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/27/brexit-westminster-is-like-the-crystal-maze-on-crystal-meth

You can read the one about Cluster-wotsit-ery there

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

D2srmnrWwAEF9Zf.jpg:large

This really needs to be the end to the idea that the reason Labour aren't backing a second referendum is Jeremy Corbyn. Not only did he vote for it in the indicative votes, but this is not a list of Corbynites either. The only available conclusion from this list is that any other Labour leader would have been doing the same attempted party-management job over the last two years. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, peterms said:

Yes, I think you have it wrong.

The current votes are indicative.  Unless I've misunderstood it, they don't rule things out or prevent options being posed again.  They are testing out which options might secure a majority.  Does the Speaker's ruling on not bringing back a similar motion apply to something which has been discussed as a purely indicative vote rather than determining policy?  I assume not.  What do you think?

Voting to revoke at this point, like other options, is signalling.  The Labour position, I think, is that this is an option, but not one of the most preferred.  If that is their position, that is the signal they should give.

The point of the votes was to establish the outcomes that were acceptable and unacceptable to MPs. That's why they were able to vote for as many, or as few of the options as they wanted. 

As for the whole "maybe the people in the party know a bit better than you do" shtick, perhaps they do. 

Or perhaps their strategy has them still lagging in popularity behind the worst Government in living memory and their leader enjoying the worst satisfaction ratings for a leader of the opposition since 1982.

And they wonder why people have lost faith in politics and politicians. They're like a bunch of chickens in a hen house where no one has any idea what the hell is going on. "Take back control!!!11" They've really achieved that, haven't they?

The only thing they're in control of is expensing the pump maintenance for their 2 million quid koi ponds. The whole world is laughing at our pathetic system and politicians.

The biggest problem with a GE is that neither of the two main parties will have remain as part of their manifesto.  Having half the country represented by the fricking Liberals is a joke.  I live in a constituency that voted 54% remain in the referendum, but has and MP that voted in favor of No Deal in the indicative votes.  A protest vote is as useful as broken glass bog roll so I may as well bin off voting for the current generation of politics. 

16 minutes ago, Straggler said:

The biggest problem with a GE is that neither of the two main parties will have remain as part of their manifesto.  Having half the country represented by the fricking Liberals is a joke.  I live in a constituency that voted 54% remain in the referendum, but has and MP that voted in favor of No Deal in the indicative votes.  A protest vote is as useful as broken glass bog roll so I may as well bin off voting for the current generation of politics. 

I think the Independent Group might suck up a few more remainers before any new GE  ... possibly you might even get a breakaway leave party depending on how the rest of Brexit plays out

Hung parliaments for the foreseeable future I'd imagine  ... hope the bribe fund isn't cleared out by the DUP

59 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Funny that in the resulting GE the public won't be able to give us a majority either.  Surely it'll just be a hung parliament.

stupidly low turn out and a hung parliament

that will definitely restore faith

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the Independent Group might suck up a few more remainers before any new GE  ... possibly you might even get a breakaway leave party depending on how the rest of Brexit plays out

Hung parliaments for the foreseeable future I'd imagine  ... hope the bribe fund isn't cleared out by the DUP

Despite the current mess I'd give a Tory majority decent odds, you have to factor in that they couldn't possibly run a worse campaign and manifesto this time round with a different leader, and I'm not sure Corbyn will generate quite the same support again.  

Â