The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

As the original thread was a poll (coming over here, fixing our plumbing...no sorry that's Poles) it expired. So here's a new topic to discuss ever closer union in which we all have to speak Lithuanian / a return to the 1950s where Britannia was best at everything. 

It's too close to call, I urge anyone with a vote to cast it as this is the future for our kids and their kids too. Don't be influenced by what your mate says or what you read on here. Look up the pros and cons and make a conscience decision for what's you think is best for you and this country.

ok, the videos are here - Apparently Britain is Coming Home according to the three lions parody done by the Out crowd:

This debate is getting serious.

Apropos of nothing I've now settled on voting to remain I think. The above is a fairly mild patriotic call, but if it gets ramped up much more over the next few weeks I'll be vomiting.

Listening to the Today programme, Radio 4 this morning, Sarah Montague asked Michael Gove why, definitively, he felt we should be voting to leave the EU.

His answer was that we'll get our mojo back. Doubtless later today, somebody will reveal that we need to remain in, to be cool.

My best guess at the moment, is that the lack of detail (either way) means that nobody can possibly know what the consequences of leaving might be.

They did an article on sausages. sausage link, geddit? which was quite interesting.

...Europe In 10 Objects, the Today programme is exploring the costs and benefits of the EU by looking in detail at objects people encounter in their daily lives.

Basically, we have self imposed more rules on pigs than the rest of the EU, we have negotiated our own independent pork deal with the Chinese - no need to wait for europe.

11 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The pound is suffering terribly at the moment

Interesting choice of phrase - "suffering". The pound is inanimate and cannot "suffer". It's worth less compared to other currencies - which means British goods are cheaper for foreigners to buy - which helps UK based exporters and manufacturers and makes imports to the UK more expensive.

But yeah, uncertainty impacts on the value of the currency

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My best guess at the moment, is that the lack of detail (either way) means that nobody can possibly know what the consequences of leaving might be.

That's the problem. I've tried to read all the pros and cons and I'm still none the wiser. That's why I think many will err on the side of caution and vote to stay in. 

I had an e mither. I assume the VVIP mentioned is Hameron.

Anyway, he seems to be spending all his time going round the country visiting factories and taking his jacket off and doing stuff which is aimed at media coverage. tomorrow he will be pictured next to shiny aircraft telling the world how great the "deal" is 

Shouldn't he be doing, like, work, instead? - telling Jeremy Hunt to stop being a dick, that sort of thing?

On Thursday 25 February a VVIP Senior Government Minister will be visiting [on] Site. It will give us the opportunity to listen to the VVIP speak followed by a Q&A session.

We have been given 60 places - If you would like to volunteer to attend this Session can you please reply to me by Lunctime Today – no later.  It will be based on a first come first served basis.

The maximum amount of time out of the office will be around 2hours and will be held in [location].

Further details will be provided before the visit and will be forwarded to the 60 personnel identified..

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a very common phrase regarding currency.

yes, it is and it's always pretty daft - I'm not criticising meregreen -  he was relaying "news" as reported elsewhere. It's the news outlets that use this kind of lazy and pejorative language that irk me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

yes, it is and it's always pretty daft - I'm not criticising meregreen -  he was relaying "news" as reported elsewhere. It's the news outlets that use this kind of lazy and pejorative language that irk me.

Gotcha, I thought you were questioning why meregreen was using the phrase.

FWIW we use the word "Suffer" or "Suffering" in regards to currency at work all the time. It's not just a media thing, although maybe that's where it originated.

• Like 1

Suffering and related language, like disease metaphors, are common when the media & politicians talk about economics. Has been that way for a long time. I'm sure there are a few historians among us who can clarify what it goes back to. I've been reading a bit about it recently regarding the government response to the famine and boy oh boy is it troubling reading.

Also an interesting point of comparison: the use of marriage as metaphor - Cameron's 'divorce' quip the other day being an example - goes back a long way too.

Off topic like, though an awareness of language and how it is used will be important when making one's mind up on this matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

an awareness of language and how it is used will be important when making one's mind up on this matter.

Zackly. That's what made me pick up on the "suffering pound" thing. Humans (yes I am almost one, too) unconsciously do that kind of thing all the time - whether it's weather forecasters saying "I'm afraid we're in for rain over the next 24 hours" - even when the reservoirs are in need of rain, for example. Rain is always equated with bad, currency falls with "suffering", uncertainty is always seen as bad and "stability" as good - just unconscious bias, really.

And to be fair to my company, the pound "suffering" against the Euro is usually bad news for us as a hell of a lot of our suppliers are paid in Euros, and I don't think we're very good at hedging.

we got an "Out" newspaper delivered through our door today , haven't read it yet but I shall report back with the gems it contains  ..Mrs H said she wanted to wait for an "In" newspaper so she could compare the arguments ... Wishful thinking but I fear she is wasting her time on that one

I hope we can move beyond xxxx is in the out campaign therefore I'm in ... but  I'm still waiting for a proper case to be put forward by someone (real world ,not VT)  ... I'm still a Vote Leave  , but there is still every possibility come the day I will vote to stay

Â