The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

44 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Can someone please explain something to me?

EU have said time and time again the deal will not be re-negotiated and that's what we get. Why do all the PMs get their hopes up on being able to negotiate anything other than no deal or May's deal? 

It just seems to be it's a massive stroke fest that will face an ugly verification once we go back to Brussels. 

I think the EU position has been that there is no realistic alternative within the constraints of the red lines insisted upon by May.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So for someone who tries to follow this but has a hard time doing so, which of these options (if any) has a fair chance of receiving a majority?

Probably anything that Labour whips to support will get close. 

But I'd be amazed if anything got close to a majority tonight.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

So for someone who tries to follow this but has a hard time doing so, which of these options (if any) has a fair chance of receiving a majority?

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Nick Watt is outside the 1922 room.

I imagine she hasn't given any details and they'll probably all fall for it.

"When I said I'd 'go', I meant I'd 'go'... to the TOILET! All over you! Ha ha!!!"

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"When I said I'd 'go', I meant I'd 'go'... to the TOILET! All over you! Ha ha!!!"

Given that a bunch of them refer to her as 'Mummy' I don't think you'd want to entice them too much. They'd be delighted licking it off the floor. All over them would be spoiling them.

Can anyone who is broadly supportive of Labour's Brexit "policy", explain something for me:

Given they've said their immediate priority is "taking no deal off the table" why they aren't whipping to support the Cherry amendment which is the first realistic chance they've been given, to support precisely that?

It's not contrary to anything they want, still leaves their constructive ambiguity nicely in place and does something they've repeatedly said is their priority.

What am I missing?

Edited by ml1dch

21 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Can anyone who is broadly supportive of Labour's Brexit "policy", explain something for me:

Given they've said their immediate priority is "taking no deal off the table" why they aren't whipping to support the Cherry amendment which is the first realistic chance they've been given, to support precisely that?

It's not contrary to anything they want, still leaves their constructive ambiguity nicely in place and does something they've repeatedly said is their priority.

What am I missing?

You’re presuming that those amongst us who are left leaning have any more of a clue than anyone else? I’ve tried to keep up but gave up weeks ago. 

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What am I missing?

Corbyn wants or would be happy with no deal, the rest of the party don't. Corbyn wants the tories to get the blame for a crap situation that will ensue after Brexit, so he can be PM and do 1970s again. Most of the rest of the Labour party want remain, or want to minimise/stop the damage Brexit will do (a very soft Brexit).

39 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What am I missing?

They would first need other options to fall.  In a situation where it is a choice between no deal and revoke,  they would revoke.  Moving to that position too quickly is an invitation to all the press and all their opponents to paint them as having wanted to remain all along, which was not the position agreed at conference.

Â