The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

56 minutes ago, peterms said:

The current votes are indicative.  Unless I've misunderstood it, they don't rule things out or prevent options being posed again.

I think this point has now been answered.

Patrick McLoughlin, the former Tory chief whip, asks John Bercow if his “no repeat votes” ruling means these matters cannot be put to a vote again.

Bercow says that is not the case. He says this is a different process. The business motion made it clear it would be a two-step process.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/mar/27/brexit-latest-news-live-debate-indicative-votes--to-vote-on-alternative-votes-as-speculation-mounts-may-could-announce-plans-to-quit-live-news

4 minutes ago, peterms said:

The "people" couldn't decide either.  That's the problem.

Leave had the higher vote so therefore that became the democratic decision. However, I'll be amazed if it ever happens. 

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

The "people" couldn't decide either.  That's the problem.

The people were asked a stupid bloody question, and were incredibly ill-informed.

With the benefit of the last 3 years, I'd love to see the next answer if it was no deal vs May's deal vs no brexit (with STV)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Leave had the higher vote so therefore that became the democratic decision. However, I'll be amazed if it ever happens. 

But "leave", as presented, was a completely incoherent proposition, based on lies, and pushed by dark money placed by shysters.  It can claim little legitimacy.

I speak as someone sympathetic to the idea of leaving.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Corbyn's such a bell end.

He's every bit as culpable for this shitshow as May and Cameron. 

Labour may as well just forfeit the next General Election then Jezza can piss off to his allotment, and stay there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sounds like she would need 35 labour MP’s to vote for her deal ( should it be allowed)

seems unlikely ... but it could be after tonight that more Torys will back her deal rather than risk Brexit being cancelled 

I doubt there are many more than 25 Tory holdouts left, but that still leaves a long way short of a majority. 

One thing that has been under-appreciated in the tide of news of cracking ERG'ers finding religion on her deal this afternoon, is that by promising to resign after passing the deal, she has raised the price of Labour crossovers enormously. Effectively our national negotiating strategy for the transition period would be decided in a Tory party election to capture the votes of 120,000 superannuated nutters who make up the Conservative Party membership. Any Labour MP who consciously brings that about should rightly fear the danger of reselection. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I doubt there are many more than 25 Tory holdouts left, but that still leaves a long way short of a majority. 

One thing that has been under-appreciated in the tide of news of cracking ERG'ers finding religion on her deal this afternoon, is that by promising to resign after passing the deal, she has raised the price of Labour crossovers enormously. Effectively our national negotiating strategy for the transition period would be decided in a Tory party election to capture the votes of 120,000 superannuated nutters who make up the Conservative Party membership. Any Labour MP who consciously brings that about should rightly fear the danger of reselection. 

Yeah vote for the deal and get Boris as PM seems to be how some (labour people ) are reporting it 

Edit: Obviously the 'voted to revoke' is the tweeter's incorrect line on the thing. But three ministers and a whip expressed their view that they would rather revoke A50 than allow the UK to leave without a deal.

Edited by snowychap

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The people were asked a stupid bloody question, and were incredibly ill-informed.

With the benefit of the last 3 years, I'd love to see the next answer if it was no deal vs May's deal vs no brexit (with STV)

Aren’t they by and large incredibly ill informed  at every GE as well ?  That’s kinda democracy for you 

But as I recall the wording for the referendum  was changed at the suggestion of the electoral commission with the view of making it as simple as possible and then passed through parliament  by everyone (except the SNP as per their standard MO to not vote for anything Tory )

Â