The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not a foregone conclusion we will even have the indicative votes, because of course May is whipping them to vote down the business motion

Letwin has been saying that he rather suspected that they would though he's obviously disappointed that they have.

I can't see why anyone would change their vote.

Just now, snowychap said:

Blimey, Bercow has just ruled out the government trying a 'paving motion' in order to bypass his ruling on the Meaningful Vote 'test'. He said that any attempt to move such a motion will be rejected.

Good. Hopefully something can come about the votes this afternoon to stop this whole nonsense (though I doubt it). 

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Good. Hopefully something can come about the votes this afternoon to stop this whole nonsense (though I doubt it). 

The government and a lot of backbench Tories are going to be utterly furious. Expect droves of them to stand up with points of order some time later today (perhaps after the 1922 Committee meeting with May). Much frothing and finger pointing will be seen from the likes of Francois, Michael Fabrication and others.

Just now, snowychap said:

The government and a lot of backbench Tories are going to be utterly furious. Expect droves of them to stand up with points of order some time later today (perhaps after the 1922 Committee meeting with May). Much frothing and finger pointing will be seen from the likes of Francois, Michael Fabrication and others.

If they do, it just reinforces the opinion that they see this process is governmental rather than parliamentary, when, as repeated time and time again, it is not (Noticed His Honourable Member for the 16th Century got this confused earlier). This government/Theresa May seem to act that they have a huge majority when they don't, they are just utterly belligerent in its thought process. 

It will be interesting if any of the options gain a majority whether the government would follow suite. 

• Like 3

Can someone please explain something to me?

EU have said time and time again the deal will not be re-negotiated and that's what we get. Why do all the PMs get their hopes up on being able to negotiate anything other than no deal or May's deal? 

It just seems to be it's a massive stroke fest that will face an ugly verification once we go back to Brussels. 

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Can someone please explain something to me?

EU have said time and time again the deal will not be re-negotiated and that's what we get. Why do all the PMs get their hopes up on being able to negotiate anything other than no deal or May's deal? 

It just seems to be it's a massive stroke fest that will face an ugly verification once we go back to Brussels. 

The withdrawal agreement isn't going to fundamentally change much, but the approach beyond that could (and should). May has set us on a course for a pretty shit outcome, more or less everyone else in the Commons wants some form of better outcome. The attacking of May's deal is mostly shorthand and politics for the fact her course is dreadful.

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Nor me.

It's not going down well with others, apparently. I wonder whether he might have to back down on it - which won't look good.

The motive, in my opinion, for what he's been consistently doing is that where the Government has sought to "lock out" via weaseling shenanigans, the MPs from having a say, he's made rulings which counter those attempts. In my opinion, anyone looking at his actions as "well, this is a bit of a new precedent" or "this changes or challenges some unwritten convention" things might be right on the narrow point, but on the wider issue of what he's been doing, it's been countering the Government/May's contempt for fair play and democracy. In that regard he's acted comendably to give backbenchers and parliament a genuine role and say, against an authoritarian, dishonest PM and Gov't, while at the same time allowing Parliament the opportunity to unf*ck a mess of the government's making

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

The motive, in my opinion, for what he's been consistently doing is that where the Government has sought to "lock out" via weaseling shenanigans, the MPs from having a say, he's made rulings which counter those attempts. In my opinion, anyone looking at his actions as "well, this is a bit of a new precedent" or "this changes or challenges some unwritten convention" things might be right on the narrow point, but on the wider issue of what he's been doing, it's been countering the Government/May's contempt for fair play and democracy. In that regard he's acted comendably to give backbenchers and parliament a genuine role and say, against an authoritarian, dishonest PM and Gov't, while at the same time allowing Parliament the opportunity to unf*ck a mess of the government's making

I think you've misread or misunderstood my post.

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think you've misread or misunderstood my post.

I think I've used your post's mention of "It's not going down well with others, apparently" to put down my thoughts on what might to an extent counter these other [MPs etc] presumed complaints about convention or exceeding his authority. SOrry, I wasn't replying to you, just using your post to progress a line of my thinking.

Â