The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think how long and how much patience Lambert got from the crowd and on here, some still defend him now somehow.

Really fan reaction to a villa manager depends on who they follow. People were far too quick to turn on Houllier at VP as he followed O'Neill whereas Lambert got a free pass for 2 years for following McLeish, I honestly don't think nationality comes into it.

Next Villa manager will get patience as we will win more games next season and it's a very competitive league where even the top teams lose pretty regularly.

Ha ha ha ha ...new around these parts are you  lol ?

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

Ha ha ha ha ...new around these parts are you  lol ?

I was probably more talking about the crowd at VP next season. I haven't heard any anti Garde chants at VP at all in the games I've been to tbh.

It's like a different world on here sometimes!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think how long and how much patience Lambert got from the crowd and on here, some still defend him now somehow.

Really fan reaction to a villa manager depends on who they follow. People were far too quick to turn on Houllier at VP as he followed O'Neill whereas Lambert got a free pass for 2 years for following McLeish, I honestly don't think nationality comes into it.

Next Villa manager will get patience as we will win more games next season and it's a very competitive league where even the top teams lose pretty regularly.

There are still a few about who saw Lambert as just as much a victim of failed policy of higher management as any other manager in the past five years.

For those who are keen on Pearson it can't be denied that Lambert arrived with even better credentials and a better record.

Fans have to remember that all this changing of managers does not come cheap.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

7 hours ago, a-k said:

If you moved to a new country (presumably with your family) for a job, to eventually find out they were under false premises and got completely thrown under the bus. Then to find out no one in the club cares, from the owner, CEO, head of recruitment, players, etc (e.g. if the fact that players Remi wanted were not actually contacted), would you not be f***ing pissed off? Not necessarily happy that he's going to cost the club more money but I am damn well with him in being irritated and holding out and trying to get as much as he can.

I think this is pretty much it to be honest - and Garde has given up.  We were playing solid football (on the whole) leading up to the January transfer window and throughout the January transfer window.  No-one was brought in and results/attitude of everyone involved at the club have completely nose-dived since:

Garde to end of Jan:  D, L, L, D, L, D, D, L, L, W, D, D

Garde Feb -> now:  L, W, L, L, L, L, L, L

We have faced stronger teams on the whole since Feb, but the performances have been so much more alarming.  Against Liverpool and Man City, in particular, we completely fell apart after conceding a goal.  Everton and Tottenham didn't even need to break a sweat to beat us.  Swansea were garbage and we didn't score.  Everyone has given up hope.

I don't blame Garde for seeking a good payout here.  The club have severely restricted him.  Apparently Gerard Houllier told Garde before he joined that Aston Villa is a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and a chairman that backs you.  Garde joined and said Lerner and Fox have ambitious plans for us!  This link describes how he was told he'd be backed in January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35117587

"If he decides he needs something he has the chairman's ear and his support," said chief executive Tom Fox.

"Remi has only been here five games. My job is to assist him when he decides there is something he might need."

The club has done nothing for him at all, apart from help dampen his reputation as a good, young coach.

I hope he gets a whole bunch of money from Lerner and sees success in his next job.  The fact a lot of people would be OK with him staying on as manager speaks volumes for the guy.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think this is pretty much it to be honest - and Garde has given up.  We were playing solid football (on the whole) leading up to the January transfer window and throughout the January transfer window.  No-one was brought in and results/attitude of everyone involved at the club have completely nose-dived since:

Garde to end of Jan:  D, L, L, D, L, D, D, L, L, W, D, D

Garde Feb -> now:  L, W, L, L, L, L, L, L

We have faced stronger teams on the whole since Feb, but the performances have been so much more alarming.  Against Liverpool and Man City, in particular, we completely fell apart after conceding a goal.  Everton and Tottenham didn't even need to break a sweat to beat us.  Swansea were garbage and we didn't score.  Everyone has given up hope.

I don't blame Garde for seeking a good payout here.  The club have severely restricted him.  Apparently Gerard Houllier told Garde before he joined that Aston Villa is a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and a chairman that backs you.  Garde joined and said Lerner and Fox have ambitious plans for us!  This link describes how he was told he'd be backed in January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35117587

"If he decides he needs something he has the chairman's ear and his support," said chief executive Tom Fox.

"Remi has only been here five games. My job is to assist him when he decides there is something he might need."

The club has done nothing for him at all, apart from help dampen his reputation as a good, young coach.

I hope he gets a whole bunch of money from Lerner and sees success in his next job.  The fact a lot of people would be OK with him staying on as manager speaks volumes for the guy.

I sympathise with most of this (although I wouldn't use a word as strong as "solid" for the football we were playing to the end of Jan). 

However, I really don't hope Garde gets a lot of money by way of pay-off because this will impact on the money available to buy players and the club has thrown a lot of money away on manager pay-offs over the years, as the accounts testify.

Sorry, Remi, but I hope you leave with a reasonable but not over-generous wad.

• Like 1

On 28 March 2016 at 11:46, TRO said:

You start of by saying you don't get the Garde hate on here and then proceed to dissect the previous manager with a barbed comment of " the team was thrown under the bus"

This is the same team he managed to stay up, when many of us thought we had gone ....way before TS arrived......and presided over a FA cup final which granted was a wet squib.

I am not supporting Tim Sherwood, but the distinction in criticism between the 2 is a bit rich IMO ....you would think Remi had lost 2 and won 18 with the comparison you seem to draw.

The background both managers had was poison and quite frankly I am not sure how either of them have achieved anything at all.....The players turning up must have been a feat.

We now seem to have senior personnel who are willing to do something positive about it.....lets give them the space to try.

This, he is a better manager than him thing, is tedious.....Its only opinions anyway, because results wise you couldn't get a cigarette paper between them.

Thats what makes it so petty.

Sherwood had a say in players brought in which should have complemented his system.  It quickly became apparent that he had no system, no idea of his best team and very little tactical nous.  When these failings rose to the surface, he rapidly did a 180 and blamed everyone except himself.

Remi inherited someone else's squad and was expected to backfil their inadequecies with little more than Gallic charm and his reputation of bringing through youth.

For me, they were chalk and cheese and not sure how you reach the conclusion their circumstances were similar?

As for "petty and tedious" this is only my second post in this thread so hate pester you so! :)

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I was probably more talking about the crowd at VP next season. I haven't heard any anti Garde chants at VP at all in the games I've been to tbh.

It's like a different world on here sometimes!

I agree. I am not sure VT sums up the mood of supporters certainly not in comparison to the reaction of supporters at the games. I have heard no anti Garde chants. I also heard no anti Sherwood chanting and in fact quite the opposite as in his last game in charge when we took the lead against Swansea there were plenty singing Tim Sherwoods claret and blue army.

I think in terms of managers we have been a pretty patient bunch but have for me at times made them scapegoats when really the issues with this football club have been at the owners door for years.

• Like 1

So unless something changes we go into the next game with a manager we know the board doesn't rate and doesn't want, and a manager we know does want to be here and is just waiting for a financial agreement to go.

Got to be a home win then.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So unless something changes we go into the next game with a manager we know the board doesn't rate and doesn't want, and a manager we know does want to be here and is just waiting for a financial agreement to go.

Got to be a home win then.   

Typical Villa aye?

My take is ... These new football people don't see Garde as the one to revive our fortunes......irrespective of the fairness of that.

It seems he was a Tom Fox call and now he has departed so the new regime have their own ideas who should lead us out of the doldrums.

I think it will just be a matter of time.

Manager, Rémi Garde, has today left Aston Villa Football Club by mutual consent.

The Club would like to place on record its sincere thanks to Rémi for all his efforts during a difficult period and wish him well in the future.

Eric Black will take over as acting manager until the Club appoints a new manager.

There will be no further comment from the Club at this stage.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5455200,00.html

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5455200,00.html

News

0,,10265~8860757,00.gif
RSS

Club statement: Rémi Garde
Information from the Club.
29th Mar 2016

Club statement: Rémi Garde

Manager, Rémi Garde, has today left Aston Villa Football Club by mutual consent.

The Club would like to place on record its sincere thanks to Rémi for all his efforts during a difficult period and wish him well in the future.

Eric Black will take over as acting manager until the Club appoints a new manager.

There will be no further comment from the Club at this stage.

Â