The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Can't help but feel we're running around in circles on here.

This whole season has been a disaster - bad decision after bad decision.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing so roll on 2016-17

Edited by Duck

If you moved to a new country (presumably with your family) for a job, to eventually find out they were under false premises and got completely thrown under the bus. Then to find out no one in the club cares, from the owner, CEO, head of recruitment, players, etc (e.g. if the fact that players Remi wanted were not actually contacted), would you not be f***ing pissed off? Not necessarily happy that he's going to cost the club more money but I am damn well with him in being irritated and holding out and trying to get as much as he can.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So I clearly didn't miss your point. 

Stupid post with nothing to back it up

I won't deny that this isn't based on any sort of proper study but there have been comments aimed at his nationality. I think it's pretty obvious that some people have less patience with a manager if they're foreign.

27 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I won't deny that this isn't based on any sort of proper study but there have been comments aimed at his nationality. I think it's pretty obvious that some people have less patience with a manager if they're foreign.

I don't think thats true. A lot of people quickly turned on Sherwood and many have shown great patience with Garde but when the manager has given up and just hanging in for a big payout then that really does rankle with me. At least Sherwood showed more integrity and he would never have given up the way Garde has,

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't think thats true. A lot of people quickly turned on Sherwood and many have shown great patience with Garde but when the manager has given up and just hanging in for a big payout then that really does rankle with me. At least Sherwood showed more integrity and he would never have given up the way Garde has,

Don't mistake not having a **** clue with "integrity".

• Like 3

I wouldn't blame Garde too much, however, he's a football manager and is supposed to get the best out of the players in the squad. He certainly hasn't done that. Sure, he's had an incredibly incompetent board over him, but then so did Sherwood and he's usually not spared the criticism because of it. 

When it comes to buying players for Garde in January, though, I think the lack of signings/spending was one of the few correct decisions that were made by the club. You could say they gave up, mailed it in, but you could also say they correctly predicted survival from 12 points away from safety and with the current setup was not worth spending more money on. We could have had 3 or 4 more players who'd need to shipped off this summer. Who knows where the money for buying them would have come from - the summer budget? No thanks.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Alex McLeish went about 9 games unbeaten and then after 1st defeat people wanted him out

52 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I wouldn't blame Garde too much, however, he's a football manager and is supposed to get the best out of the players in the squad. He certainly hasn't done that. Sure, he's had an incredibly incompetent board over him, but then so did Sherwood and he's usually not spared the criticism because of it. 

When it comes to buying players for Garde in January, though, I think the lack of signings/spending was one of the few correct decisions that were made by the club. You could say they gave up, mailed it in, but you could also say they correctly predicted survival from 12 points away from safety and with the current setup was not worth spending more money on. We could have had 3 or 4 more players who'd need to shipped off this summer. Who knows where the money for buying them would have come from - the summer budget? No thanks.

The trouble with that is that 'they wouldn't give him money because they didn't trust him' is one of the fans' go-to explanations for why an out-of-favour manager failed to improve his team. 

Now that might be tenable when a manager's already spent badly and has got a record to judge him by, but Garde would have only been in his job for eight weeks when the transfer-window opened.

The new-manager-effect is one of the great delusions of football because a shit team will always default to being shit, just as Villa did under Sherwood and they have under Garde.

he wasnt backed but would the players he wanted really have made us that much better to watch. Sane can barely get a game at Bordeaux, DOumbia at Newcastle. Debuchy has missed half games he has been available for, though Khazri is doing OK at Sunderland

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he wasnt backed but would the players he wanted really have made us that much better to watch. Sane can barely get a game at Bordeaux, DOumbia at Newcastle. Debuchy has missed half games he has been available for, though Khazri is doing OK at Sunderland

Just having a new keeper and a RB would've made us a lot more solid. Khazri has won points for Sunderland on his own and as for Doumbia? He couldn't be any worse than what we have!! I actually think Newcastle just signed him so other clubs couldn't as they didn't really need strikers. Signing players would also had an affect on the morale of the players already at the club but instead it seemed we'd given up and that for me that showed up in players performances since Jan!! 

12 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Just having a new keeper and a RB would've made us a lot more solid. Khazri has won points for Sunderland on his own and as for Doumbia? He couldn't be any worse than what we have!! I actually think Newcastle just signed him so other clubs couldn't as they didn't really need strikers. Signing players would also had an affect on the morale of the players already at the club but instead it seemed we'd given up and that for me that showed up in players performances since Jan!! 

Bet Doumbia is regretting that move has he even played 3 games for them??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Alex McLeish went about 9 games unbeaten and then after 1st defeat people wanted him out

Who wanted him out after the 1st defeat?

And how is this even relevant to what I was saying?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

Think how long and how much patience Lambert got from the crowd and on here, some still defend him now somehow.

Really fan reaction to a villa manager depends on who they follow. People were far too quick to turn on Houllier at VP as he followed O'Neill whereas Lambert got a free pass for 2 years for following McLeish, I honestly don't think nationality comes into it.

Next Villa manager will get patience as we will win more games next season and it's a very competitive league where even the top teams lose pretty regularly.

Â