The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

If the current circumstances at the top with poor decision making and under-investment continue then yes, they will fail.

The club are changing the board in an attempt to improve the decision making and time will tell whether these changes are successful.

I think investing smart (as shown in the summer) has arguably been more of an issue than under investment although, of course, many fans would like more investment.

If Garde can't show a number of the basics of being a good football manager he may well fail under either regime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's rubbish. We had to get rid of Sherwood after 4 points in 11 games. We would have certainly got relegated under Sherwood. We did not know exactly what was going to happen under Garde but the club had to make the change. It was a £2 million gamble to change the manager to save potentially tens of millions. It hasn't worked but that is not to say that Villa were wrong in making the move.

I don't disagree with the club getting rid of Sherwood, it was worth the risk, the appointing of Garde was the wrong choice (one of many from our club)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, macandally said:

Still do not get the Garde hate on here?  Brought in to try to steady a team which was thrown under the bus by Sherwood.  Rocky start as he got his ideas across but we then seemed to have shape, structure and the ability to keep the ball.  We lacked a cutting edge and the goalkeeping issues bred uncertainty at the back, Garde attempted to address both in January but it sounds like Reilly didn't have phone numbers on his spreadsheet.

The message sent out by the clubs inaction in January cannot be underestimated, they fundamentally gave up.  If the Senior hierarchy give up, then it doesn't take long to spread across the rest of the club.  It undermines Garde as the Manager as it suggests there is no confidence in him at Senior level.  How can Garde prevent that?  The whole club has given up but it is his fault because he couldn't stem the tide.

As for our supporters, we continually lurch from wanting a "Southampton" infrastructure that combines a strong youth set up and common playing style across the club (this takes time) to wanting a quick fix, proven championship, British "true grit" Manager to sort us out.  Personally I prefer the former as it has continuity and every player coming through knows their job within the team, but whichever it is it needs time to implement.  We cannot keep going from one to the other and whinging when it doesn't work!!

Best post I've read for some considerable time

You start of by saying you don't get the Garde hate on here and then proceed to dissect the previous manager with a barbed comment of " the team was thrown under the bus"

This is the same team he managed to stay up, when many of us thought we had gone ....way before TS arrived......and presided over a FA cup final which granted was a wet squib.

I am not supporting Tim Sherwood, but the distinction in criticism between the 2 is a bit rich IMO ....you would think Remi had lost 2 and won 18 with the comparison you seem to draw.

The background both managers had was poison and quite frankly I am not sure how either of them have achieved anything at all.....The players turning up must have been a feat.

We now seem to have senior personnel who are willing to do something positive about it.....lets give them the space to try.

This, he is a better manager than him thing, is tedious.....Its only opinions anyway, because results wise you couldn't get a cigarette paper between them.

Thats what makes it so petty.

Garde has the team performing alot worse than Sherwood ever did.

How many losses and how many conceded now?

Garde lacks any sort of fight or passion himself, all you have to do is look at him during a game. Yet he has thrown the team under the bus saying some of the players have no fight.

I still do not get how some say he has improved us, that is laughable.

Needs to be sacked soon, worst villa manager in our history.

• Like 4

The decision to not back Remi in the January transfer market .....for me was a considered one. I don't know whether they were right or wrong given the disarray we are in.

If we had oil wells in BMH I would say spend it.....but we don't. Keeping our powder dry is/was a feasible call IMO

Many folk said it will make not a jot of difference to the teams position( many of them pundits), whether that decision had affects on the manager and other criteria ,I guess it did.....but not all decisions are glaringly obvious and meet all requirements.

I think given the circumstances we are in, it is unhelpful to keep highlighting  individuals, too much is overall wrong for that.

We have made our bed and we have been lying on it.....what is done is done.

Now we must get up and fight our way back to respectability.....hopefully that is what they are trying to do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

You start of by saying you don't get the Garde hate on here and then proceed to dissect the previous manager with a barbed comment of " the team was thrown under the bus"

This is the same team he managed to stay up, when many of us thought we had gone ....way before TS arrived......and presided over a FA cup final which granted was a wet squib.

I am not supporting Tim Sherwood, but the distinction in criticism between the 2 is a bit rich IMO ....you would think Remi had lost 2 and won 18 with the comparison you seem to draw.

The background both managers had was poison and quite frankly I am not sure how either of them have achieved anything at all.....The players turning up must have been a feat.

We now seem to have senior personnel who are willing to do something positive about it.....lets give them the space to try.

This, he is a better manager than him thing, is tedious.....Its only opinions anyway, because results wise you couldn't get a cigarette paper between them.

Thats what makes it so petty.

I always enjoy reading your posts Tro. such common sense, no bias like many of us have,

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

....and presided over a FA cup final which granted was a wet squib.

That's a very polite way of putting it.

On Garde, I don't think he is as terrible as people make out. But I don't think is good enough to sort out the mess this club is in at the moment.

The problem is we currently need a manager who is exceptional, to deal with the exceptionally bad circumstances. Not many men could wring performances out of this sham of a team, and deal with the crap the board have dealt out on top.

That doesn't make Garde the 'worst manager we ever had', just not good enough.

I'm sure if McLiesh, O'Leary, McNeil, or some of our other past managers were in charge now. Things would be exactly as bad. If not worse.

• Like 1

So it seems all Garde is holding out for is a big payoff after only a few months in the job. That seems terrible wrong to me. Failure should not be rewarded so greatly. Not all his fault of course but it was bonkers to give him such a long-term contract without some clause in the contract regarding failure.

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I always enjoy reading your posts Tro. such common sense, no bias like many of us have,

Thanks PC

I only want whats best for Aston Villa.

There have been managers and players that I have not favoured in the past, but when they have delivered the goods.....I have felt I have to put personal feelings to one side.....There is too much wrong now for me to get carried away with partisan opinions.

I think there is too much detail that we don't know enough about ( all of us) to get TOO wrapped up in being right.....I like to keep a balanced view, which is always nifty when you have limited information.....but I'm only human, i do slip up when passion dictates.

There was one incident at Villa that I did get to know the detail on......and had i didn't get the information......I know I would have had a different view.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So it seems all Garde is holding out for is a big payoff after only a few months in the job. That seems terrible wrong to me. Failure should not be rewarded so greatly. Not all his fault of course but it was bonkers to give him such a long-term contract without some clause in the contract regarding failure.

I would have thought there would be some sort of relegation clause in there that enables us to sack him for a reduced severance package? Maybe we're just waiting to get officially relegated? 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I would have thought there would be some sort of relegation clause in there that enables us to sack him for a reduced severance package? Maybe we're just waiting to get officially relegated? 

I really hope so. I hope to God our board isn't that stupid. (Although they probably are)

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Hope so Xela this needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. Its obvious Garde doesn't want to be here anymore so its doing nobody any good him still being our manager.

The way this club has been run, for the rest of the season the supporters should go to the games wearing Mickey Mouse hats.

As for Garde.I think he has done an excellent job...when you consider what he has had to work/put up with.

What we really need now is a magician. 

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is the same team he managed to stay up, when many of us thought we had gone

This is just incorrect.

First of all, the same team? i don't think so. He had resources that Remi could only dream of. And still managed some worse individual results with THAT team than Remi has.

Secondly, we weren't in that much trouble when Sherwood took over. We only dropped into the bottom 3 after Hull. Sherwood left us with 1 win all season and 9(?) losses.

Personally, this club needs to start again. The board looks very different and although I'd like to see Remi given a chance to build his own team, I don't think it's the right thing to do in our circumstance. His reign is tainted and it looks like he's done here.

15 minutes ago, jon_c said:

That's a very polite way of putting it.

On Garde, I don't think he is as terrible as people make out. But I don't think is good enough to sort out the mess this club is in at the moment.

The problem is we currently need a manager who is exceptional, to deal with the exceptionally bad circumstances. Not many men could wring performances out of this sham of a team, and deal with the crap the board have dealt out on top.

That doesn't make Garde the 'worst manager we ever had', just not good enough.

I'm sure if McLiesh, O'Leary, McNeil, or some of our other past managers were in charge now. Things would be exactly as bad. If not worse.

It may well be polite.....but its just a fact, I couldn't really put it any other way.

On Garde, you may well be right......and it would not surprise me to see him leave us and go on to do good things in France.....But being right for us in the circumstances is an entirely different issue.....We need whats right for us, I'm not sure Remi is.

I don't think we are saying he is a bad manager ( perhaps some are) He is just presiding over bad results.....Rarely are great successful managers on the market unless they engineer their own moves......so bad results can attach themselves to many managers.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

There is no real distinction is there and it would be clutching at straws either way. Bottom line is one took 4 points from 10 games the other 12 points from 20 so far. This is a poor squad of players but for me they are not that poor so both have been huge failures based on this seasons results.

What I would say about both Sherwood and Garde is that they were both risks. Sherwood had limited experience as a manager and had never dealt in the transfer market before therefore to allow him a crucial role in overseeing a massive overhaul of players probably wasn't the wisest move. Garde came in with three years managerial experience at a foreign club used to competing amongst the top half dozen in that league. Bringing him in to a foreign league to a club at the foot of the table and one that had been struggling for years again probably wasn't the wisest move.

The main reason I want rid of Garde now is that I still see him as a risk. He doesn't know the Championship and has shown he can get f all out of these players, and whether we like it or not many of them will stay. I don't want a risk at the moment. I think those on the board now will ensure that the next manager, unlike both Sherwood and Garde, will have the relevant proven experience for the task that faces them and that can only be a good thing and an improvement on what has gone before.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Â