Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was talking to a teacher based in the US last night, who said that the school they work at have annual shooter drills...In the summer they brought in actors on a teacher training day, armed with blanks and simulated an attack so the teachers were prepared for when it happens.

And they think it's just normal. 

One of my pals lives just outside San Francisco, and his little girl has an annual training day with what to do in case of an attack.

In Canada the worst we had was earthquake training.

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they need to stop the military wankfest, they're obsessed with it, its ingrained in to their lives

You're not wrong at all there.  The camo-draped fantasies of that nation are bizarre.  It's not like they've spent much of their history under attack.  They're hardly Palestine.

I can see this country going the same way, but with poppies instead of camouflage.

• Like 2

I just will never understand why if you are upset with life/etc you dont just take your own life as oppposed to going into a school and just killing a load of people

I certainly do think its good to try understand the reason why this atrocious Incident has happened. if it helps prevent futures atrocities of the same nature it may at leats help there although i have my reservations with the amount of guns used out there 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also amusing; the 2nd amendment states anyone can have a gun to take on the government if needed.

They will:

1) drone strike you

or

2) starve you out

or

3) Shell you from a distance

I'd love to see deep south AR-15 owners try and take on the government. Good luck guys.

It seems insane that the same people who are so scared of the government will vote for the most unstable and mental President with a seeming fetish for military parades on their streets.  The whole gun debate is absurd, it defies any logic.

It's the frequency which has changed in recent times. There have always been guns, there have always been crazy people, there have always been shootings.

Obviously the hardware has changed over time, and the death count rises as a result but there has to be something more/ something else underlying the reasons why there are so many happening.

The documentary I mentioned a few pages back highlights the rise in psychosis inducing medication being prescribed for 'mental health' coinciding with a rise in mass shootings.

Whether it's relevant in this case is something I'll never know but I noticed the quotes from the County Mayor about him going for treatment at a mental health facility a year ago. I'd love to find out what he was prescribed and whether he's been having speed with his cornflakes for a year.

Either way, the media seem content to shove his image front and centre everywhere like the celebrity of the day, so if the 15 mins of fame argument has any deluded followers out there then there's lovely.

It's not too surprising. I suspect the trend is that gun sales go up when gun nutt....enthusiasts worry that gun controls will make it more difficult to obtain them.

With the communist, freedom-hating, muslamic Obama in charge - "better get muh guns while I still can".

Obviously straight-talking, man of the people Donnie J Trump isn't going to oppress the American people, so there's no rush to go out and stock up on hardware.

54 minutes ago, Rodders said:

like clockwork - "tackling the difficult issue of mental health problems" without ever mentioning guns :crylaugh: 

Paul Ryan is a despicable piece of turd.

Last February Trump quietly rolled back Obama's regulation which insisted on people with mental health issues undergo background checks when trying to purchase weapons.

FEB 28 2017, 8:39 PM ET

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

like clockwork - "tackling the difficult issue of mental health problems" without ever mentioning guns :crylaugh: 

They might want to start by dealing with the collective insanity of thinking their gun legislation is working just fine. 

For NRA members I suggest that incident's like this ignite and excite something deep within their personalities that only things like this can even touch.  Much like a serial sex attacker who doesn't actually have sex with the bodies,  the mere fact that a teenager can pick up an AR-15 and kill loads of kids in a country where they keep the gun laws to allow such things makes me conclude they get off on it in a perverse sub-conscious manner.  For NRA supporters,  I guess the fact they can look at the chaos on TV only heightens there excitement,  like the arsonist who watches the fire engines arrive,  the NRA people enjoy the ambulances leaving,  fully loaded with dead kids.  words removed.  They could stop it tomorrow or start the wheels in motion,  they don't becasue they love it.  Love the chaos. words removed 

While Florida has a three-day waiting period for handgun purchases, anyone without a felony record, domestic abuse conviction or a handful of other exceptions can walk into a gun store, wait a few minutes to clear a background check, and walk out with an AR-15-style rifle, magazines and ammunition.

Under federal law, you also must be 21 to buy a handgun from a firearms dealer. But 18-year-olds can buy semiautomatic rifles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/ar15-mass-shootings-guns.html.

Edited by Jimzk5

As Sen. Chris Murphy said shortly after the attack:

Chris Murphy on CNN

"This epidemic of mass slaughter, this scourge of school shooting after school shooting," Murphy said, "it only happens here not because of coincidence, not because of bad luck, but as a consequence of our inaction. We are responsible for a level of mass atrocity that happens in this country with zero parallel anywhere else."
The Connecticut Democrat has been an outspoken supporter of gun control legislation for years, representing the state where the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting occurred in 2012, in which 20 children were fatally shot. Murphy began his floor speech Wednesday by highlighting that "this happens nowhere else other than the United States of America."

Mental health problems are not unique to America, but the slaughter going on in schools is.  Prescription drugs are not unique to America, but the epidemic of school shootings is.  Sooner or later the really obvious connection between easy access to guns and the number of mass shootings will have to be taken seriously.  That anyone has the brass neck to still claim that America does not have a gun problem is the act of the willfully blind.

• Thanks 1

America as a country you disgust me, I feel sorry for all the good people living there. As whole though you are more interested in your f#$#€£g constitutional rights than your are about saving precious human life. 

In 1996 Australia had one of the worst mass shootings in history. After that the then prime minister  (who was a total wank and I couldn't stand him) changed gun laws forever.

32 years on and it is no surprise that we haven't had another shooting like it since. 

America as country your are a disgrace, and to all the proud NRA members, well I'll be polite and not write what I think of you.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

As I often say whenever these things happen, exceptionally few people need a gun.

Nobody needs an assault rifle.

The school shooter weapon of choice, the AR15, should not be available to anyone. It's completely absurd as a hunting weapon. 

Unless you're keen to hunt humans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just will never understand why if you are upset with life/etc you dont just take your own life as oppposed to going into a school and just killing a load of people

I certainly do think its good to try understand the reason why this atrocious Incident has happened. if it helps prevent futures atrocities of the same nature it may at leats help there although i have my reservations with the amount of guns used out there 

You've got to understand the mentality of the shooter first. As hard as that might be. They are generally people not noticed by society, out casted and bullied, made fun of and belittled. 

Shooting a whole school up will get them in the history books forever and this is appealing to them.

12 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Mental health problems are not unique to America, but the slaughter going on in schools is.  Prescription drugs are not unique to America, but the epidemic of school shootings is.  Sooner or later the really obvious connection between easy access to guns and the number of mass shootings will have to be taken seriously.  That anyone has the brass neck to still claim that America does not have a gun problem is the act of the willfully blind.

You are right in those statements but the amount of Anti-depressents, SSRI's and amphetamines prescribed to children is unique to America though Straggler.

• Like 2

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Shooting a whole school up will get them in the history books forever and this is appealing to them.

hmmm, not sure about history books forever, Columbine already out of the top ten and heading out of the top twenty

Â