Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm pretty liberal, but I think that's wrong in several aspects. 

It's the prevalence of thinking like this that is the reason why the 'liberal left' is so much in the intellectual gutter. A lot of fuss is (rightly) made about how insane the right have become, but the left has also followed suit and are as every bit as insane as the contemporary right. There is a real poverty of thought and politics these days.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's the prevalence of thinking like this that is the reason why the 'liberal left' is so much in the intellectual gutter. A lot of fuss is (rightly) made about how insane the right have become, but the left has also followed suit and are as every bit as insane as the contemporary right. There is a real poverty of thought and politics these days.

It's appealing to the masses.. And the masses on the whole are stupid, far left or far right. 

You try and have a reasoned debate with anyone about anything where they get their news from a tweet sized article, you're not going to get anywhere. 

I don't claim to be smart about these things, I'm not interested in most of it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Every bit as insane? Not even close. However inaccurate that post was it was nowhere near the insanity commonly displayed on the right.

"Both sides are as bad as each other" centrism is the worst. No. No they absolutely are not.

Centrism is generally the only sensible position right now. Many parts of the left exercise a strong fascistic impulse to censor and suppress. They're very dangerous. I was probably being over the top that they are just as bad, but nevertheless, they are bad.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Centrism is generally the only sensible position right now. Many parts of the left exercise a strong fascistic impulse to censor and suppress. They're very dangerous. I was probably being over the top that they are just as bad, but nevertheless, they are bad.

Centrism? Like Jeremy Corbyn, you mean? 

I'm not sure who these evil 'hard left' types are. But I'm damn sure who the hard right ones are. 

However, this is getting slightly off topic for this specific thread. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Centrism? Like Jeremy Corbyn, you mean? 

I'm not sure who these evil 'hard left' types are. But I'm damn sure who the hard right ones are. 

However, this is getting slightly off topic for this specific thread. 

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The difference is that the far/authoritarian left are an extreme fringe whereas the far right are the mainstream in America.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson said on his Friday night show that a couple of student activists from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, were extremists.

He singled out David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez, two of the most outspoken survivors from last month’s mass shooting, accusing them of ignoring the opinions of gun-rights adherents.

"If you honestly don't care what the people who disagree with you think, if you believe they want to, quote, murder more children, then who are you?

"Well you're angry, you're definitely not fit to be making policy for the rest of us. You are by definition an extremist.

"You should not have power if you really believe anyone who disagrees with you is evil and wants to kill the innocent."

While he supported Hogg and Gonzalez's right to express their opinions, Carlson argued they were too traumatised by February's massacre to partake in the debate.

The presenter said of Hogg: "He is a kid. He has just been through unspeakable tragedy. And that's why adults shouldn't be using him or his friends to push their agendas to the rest of us."

Pennsylvania students get stones

Five-gallon buckets

"Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone," Mr Helsel said at the state's House Education Committee on 15 March.

"If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks and they will be stoned.

"We have some people who have some pretty good arms. They can chuck some rocks pretty fast."

The unique defence initiative started circulating on Thursday after a video of the exchange was published online and picked up by local news.

The measure has been in place in the district's schools for two years already, Dr Helsel told Buzzfeed news.

He emphasised the measure was intended as a "last resort" and that lockdowns and evacuations were also in their planning.

He said he hoped to publicise the existence of the stones so they would serve as a deterrent for any would-be attackers.

Ever had a game of rock, paper, AR-15?

• Haha 1

"If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks and they will be stoned"

After all those spliffs they won't be very hard to take out. 

• Haha 2

Â