Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

Just one city of many, and can't undo the damage, but a positive step.  A volunteer sheriff's deputy sentenced and an officer charged will serve notice to law enforcement officers in that area at least that their department won't bail them out if they pull that kind of crap.   Unfortunately, too many other communities where that isn't the case.

USA has criminals with guns, mentally ill people with guns,  paranoid people with guns, kids with guns and people who would rather die than surrender their guns.  No wonder the Police are trigger happy. The real solution is to vastly reduce gun ownership. Whilst I would never defend the Police in these instances they are just a tiny part of a much larger problem. 

I think they should just admit that independence was a mistake, rejoin the UK, burn the constitution, ban guns and rename themselves "Very West Wales".

Or shall we just invade and burn down the Whitehouse............again.

• Like 1

I see the police are killing 6-year olds now.  Sure why not?  Oh and there's video footage of it, if you're of a mind to watch it.

Policemen who shot six-year-old autistic boy after 'father refused to stop during pursuit' charged with murder

Two policemen have been charged with murder after opening fire and killing a six-year-old autistic boy.

New bodycam footage shows young Jeremy Mardis and his father Christopher Few in the stopped car before they were both shot.

Officers Derrick Stafford and Norris Greenhouse claim they were acting in self defence because Mr Few allegedly refused to pull over before ramming them with his car.

But in a 14-minute video he can be seen holding his hands up before police in Louisiana started shooting at the stationary car, according to prosecutors.

Chris Few/ Facebook Horrific-bodycam-footage-shows-the-Louis
Young Jeremy Mardis was killed by police gunfire while in a car with his father
SOURCE/POLICE BODYCAM Horrific-bodycam-footage-shows-the-Louis
The officers claim they were acting in self defence
They alleged Mr Few had refused to pull over during a pursuit

The judge who released the shocking clip said the vehicle “was not even close to being used as a deadly weapon at that time”.

The footage shows the horrifying moment the officers – who claim they had not seen a child – found the lifeless body of six-year-old Jeremy after opening fire.

Officers opened fire on the car
They claim they did not know the six-year-old was in the car
Chris Few/Facebook Horrific bodycam footage shows the Louisiana police shooting that killed a 6-year-old
Chris Few survived the shooting

Bullet fragments found in his body were traced back to Stafford’s gun.

The clip does not have audio for the first 27 seconds – which according to defence lawyers cast doubt on whether Mr Few’s hands were actually up.

AP OCT-07-Marksville-deputy-marshal-Derrick
Derrick Stafford has been charged with murder
AP OCT-07-Norris-Greenhouse.jpg
Norris Greenhouse Jr will also face the courts

When Stafford, 33, and Greenhouse, 24, were charged last year a police spokesman said the video was “incredibly disturbing”.

Prosecutors claim Stafford has a history of excessive force including breaking a 16-year-old’s arm while breaking up a school fight and two incidents where he unnecessarily used a stun gun.

I'd like to know what possesses a man to lead Police on a high speed chase with a kid in his car, knowing the current environment of police edginess.   It's also not clear to me whether he really had at some point tried to ram the police vehicle or that was just a false claim made by the officers, but crikey, what gross parental negligence!   Did they ever arrest the father for whatever suspected crime or warrant led them to try to stop him in the first place?  Not that fleeing to keep himself out of prison justifies it, but it goes partway toward explaining why he was such and idiot.   Regardless, no level of idiocy and irresponsibility on the part of the father comes even close to diminishing the horror of what the officers did.

• 3 months later...

Not to forget the toddlers.

At the end of 2015, one of the big news stories summing up the events of the prior year was a piece by the Washington Post. This report highlighted the unbelievable but true fact that for every week in 2015, a toddler was responsible for shooting either themselves or another human being in the US – in some cases, fatally.

Now that 2016 is done and dusted, we can officially confirm that the concerning trend continued last year. That means, for the past 104 weeks, there has been at least one toddler somewhere in the US firing a gun and hitting themselves or another person.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I often wondered how Americans coped with going on holiday and not being able to take their guns anywhere.  Never realised they were allowed to check them in as luggage.

Amazingly it's true. They only have to be unloaded and in a hard sided case rather than fabric sided one. 

It's not uncommon for USA tourists to be detained at UK airports due to the odd bullet being inadvertently imported in case linings or interior pockets.   It normally only leads to a caution, confiscation and being highlighted as a risk for future visits. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks

I hope he was just a gun nut gone rogue, or it's a mental health thing, or gangs, a mistake, a toddler, a dodgy safety catch, or drugs related or a grudge with authority. Because  then they can have the funerals and carry on as they are.

If he says he did it for the muslim bruvvas, shit gonna hit some fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's sad, but their idiotic gun laws have now reached the point where mass shootings are greeted here with a collective shrug and a sort of acknowledgement that this is how they've decided to be.

The only way they can be greeted. It's stupid for us to put higher value on American lives than Americans do. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Even if they did decide to try and do something about it - which I seriously doubt - I think it's way too late now, that horse has long bolted. I dread to think how many guns are in circulation, and if the regular shooting of children isn't going to change the gun culture, what the hell is?

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Even if they did decide to try and do something about it - which I seriously doubt - I think it's way too late now, that horse has long bolted. I dread to think how many guns are in circulation, and if the regular shooting of children isn't going to change the gun culture, what the hell is?

That's why Sandy Hook was such a watershed moment. The killing of innocent 5 -8 year olds didn't shift the congress or the conscience of the nation. 7 years ago now?

Alex Jones (who claims to be a confidant of Trump & who Trump gets some of his news from) claims that Sandy Hook was a false 'flag operation' so that Obama could take their guns. He claims that the parents of the children are actors and the kids never existed. 

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Alex Jones (who claims to be a confidant of Trump & who Trump gets some of his news from) claims that Sandy Hook was a false 'flag operation' so that Obama could take their guns. He claims that the parents of the children are actors and the kids never existed. 

If this were remotely true, then they wouldn't have guns right now. Why kill so many children then not take guns away?

Sickening.

Â