Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

When FIFA announced the USA as co-host for World Cup 2026, one of the first things I thought of was the gun violence problem here and the shadow it casts over large public gatherings, like parades and watch parties. There were reportedly hundreds of police at the parade yesterday and it didn't stop a determined shooter from killing and maiming. Of course it didn't. 

There are a lot of people in this country that still view football/soccer as "liberal", "elitist", and symbolic of "globalism". And they don't like foreigners, especially non-white foreigners. And a gathering of liberals and foreigners at an outdoor (or indoor) watch party, or outside stadia makes a soft and juicy target for a white nationalist MAGA maniac.

It would be beyond tragic if there were a mass slaughter of football/soccer fans at the World Cup. 

If I were flying in from abroad to attend a game, or just soak up the vibes, I'd probably go to Canada or Mexico and avoid the USA altogether, or at least avoid the matches in states with lax gun laws, like Missouri.

And if I were determined to see my team at a match in person, even in a Republican state with armed, partisan maniacs in a volatile political environment, I might consider buying a flak jacket.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there could be anything more American than a mass shooting at a Super Bowl celebration parade.

Yeehaw!

There IS. A mass shooting at a Super Bowl parade followed by a world map burning.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Police have said it wasn't terrorism or extremism it was just a dispute between some people 

Pissed off 49ers fans? 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, colhint said:

The parents of a school shooter have both been sentenced to 10 years. Enough evidence to show they ignored all the warning signs and even bought the gun

Ethan Crumbley: Parents of Michigan school gunman sentenced to at least 10 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68773119

Will probably be pardoned by Trump if he wins 🙄

27 minutes ago, colhint said:

The parents of a school shooter have both been sentenced to 10 years. Enough evidence to show they ignored all the warning signs and even bought the gun

Ethan Crumbley: Parents of Michigan school gunman sentenced to at least 10 years

Hopefully a statement to other parents of high risk teenagers (let’s be honest, it won’t be but still, nice idea in theory).

On 10/04/2024 at 01:08, colhint said:

It's not even complicated - law should be:

1. You are responsible for ensuring your firearms are stored correctly (locked, not loaded, stored separately from ammunition)
2. Minors can't legally own firearms - they belong to the parent or guardian and rule #1 applies

Mitigating factors for sentencing:

1. Could a minor access those firearms
2. Could anyone with a history of mental illness (including undiagnosed but reported directly to you) access those firearms
3. Could an intruder easily access those firearms

They got the minimum as far as I'm concerned.  The lowest bar should be "my kids can't access these and a burglar would need a lot of time to find / access them".

It's called personal responsibility - they didn't have any and other people's kids died. Absolutely tragic.

Edited by Vancvillan
  • Like 1

Â