Rudy Gestede

midian

This was the signing that concerned me the most. This might sound awful and improbable, but if there was a deal to be done I'd offer him to Wolves in part exchange for Afobe.

You are right, it does sound awful

Gestede, for me, wasn't purchased as a number 1 striker. We're still waiting for that player, although we are running out of time

So if there was a chance to do that deal you wouldn't do it? It might be unfair on Gestede, but I really think Afobe is a much better all-round player. I really don't think awful is quite the word, extremely unlikely, maybe.

This was the signing that concerned me the most. This might sound awful and improbable, but if there was a deal to be done I'd offer him to Wolves in part exchange for Afobe.

Gestede, for me, wasn't purchased as a number 1 striker. We're still waiting for that player, although we are running out of time

So if there was a chance to do that deal you wouldn't do it? It might be unfair on Gestede, but I really think Afobe is a much better all-round player. I really don't think awful is quite the word, extremely unlikely, maybe.

I may take a punt on Afobe as I like him but would still keep Gestede as they are different types of players. The 'awful' bit referred to the fact you would look to move a player on who had on played a handful of games. I saw someone else say the same thing about Ayew. The lack of patience displayed by fans nowadays is bizarre. I can only assume its a generational thing. 

If players, especially strikers, were discarded after their first few games then Angel and Milosevic wouldn't have lasted either as they looked poor when they joined. There is no guarantee a signing will work but you can't write them off after 3 or 4 games 

True. It was Adebayor, but now we're possibly not getting anyone...

I may take a punt on Afobe as I like him but would still keep Gestede as they are different types of players. The 'awful' bit referred to the fact you would look to move a player on who had on played a handful of games. I saw someone else say the same thing about Ayew. The lack of patience displayed by fans nowadays is bizarre. I can only assume its a generational thing. 

If players, especially strikers, were discarded after their first few games then Angel and Milosevic wouldn't have lasted either as they looked poor when they joined. There is no guarantee a signing will work but you can't write them off after 3 or 4 games 

I too was shocked at the suggestion of moving Ayew on. But the difference is with Gestede I'd written him off (as a regular starter)before he'd even signed, based on him seemingly only being able to score with his head for the most part.

I also don't agree that Gestede was bought as a starter, but to give us some optionality. he's taking a step up and will need time to settle, so I don't buy into all this doom-mongering (probably in the wrong place :))

He didn't have  a good game today, but there were still some positives so I'm happy to see how he develops.

If we don't manage to get a main striker in it's not his fault.

Would Wolves even be allowed to play him? He'd have been at three clubs in about three weeks, I think there might be rules about player registrations that would prevent this whizz-bang idea from taking off. 

That, and the fact that it's, you know, **** stupid (no offence). 

We need to stop punting deep hopeful, floaty balls into the box. Lumping it and saying Rudy get on the end of that isn't what he is good at.

Benteke loved deep floaty high balls.

Rudy wants us to get behind the full back, then cross it.

• Like 1

We need to stop punting deep hopeful, floaty balls into the box. Lumping it and saying Rudy get on the end of that isn't what he is good at.

And several times he was just outside the box when we were crossing the ball. No urgency whatsoever. He cost us 6 million. Ayew cost us 9. Combine them and you get 15 million. That buys you Charlie Austin.

• Like 1

He can have all the games he wants, he's not going to suddenly develop an all-round game. His skill set is very limited, it might be okay to have someone like that in the squad as an option, but not to be starting every week and replacing Benteke.

• Like 1

I thought he improved in the second half after a pretty ineffective first half.  He definitely has Carew disease (he can foul but cannot himself be fouled).  I'm not sure why the advantage of being a big lad means that defenders are allowed to negate it by putting him in a headlock every time he gets the ball.  That said, I also agree that we need a bit more from the man up top in both movement and quality, I hope Gestede can step up to that.

Agreed. And that is what Traore does.

I actually thought he was alright today, was creating space for other attacking players by making back post runs and dragging defenders away. Showed some nice touches but also let himself down with his touch on a few occasions, classic VT over reactions in here.

Exactly how I saw it.

Off the pace in the first half for sure, but grew into the game and his hold-up play, touch and passing improved in the second. 

Still not where he'd like to be I'm sure, but another goal would work wonders I reckon. Anyone that's ever played at any level knows how frustrating it is when your game just isn't there, plus how tiredness and fitness affects your whole play.

I can't believe he's fully fit, but the signs were starting to that he could be useful throughout this campaign. 

I thought his all round game was fine, his finishing let him down. Had a few decent half chances and one in particular, think it was towards the end, where the entire Sunderland back line opened up for him and he scuffed it wide was very poor.

• Like 1

Â