Rudy Gestede

midian

Not as poor as made out and certainly made room for Sinclair and our midfield (particularly Gil) as he dragged 2 defenders everywhere. Grew into the game and his hold up play was better than anything I've seen from Gabby.

Needs to finish a little better, but it will come.

• Like 1

He showed me enough in his second half performance to show me that there is a good player in there. Seems like he's still getting used to the PL. Remember when people were comparing Benteke to Heskey in his first few games? It means nothing, it's still only 4 games so far (only his second start too).

• Like 2

Overall I don't think he had a great 90 minutes, but there were enough flashes to show there's something there to work with. He did 2 excellent knock downs in the area, one should have been a better chance but Bacuna messed up and the other led to a great Westwood chance.  He played some nice flicks which helped with some decent attacks and rolled the defender brilliantly to create a chance for him but he snatched at it. 

More confidence and more time in the team and I think we'll see more from him.  I still hope we can sign another striker to take the pressure off him being our number 1 striker all year. 

• Like 1

I can't believe the guy has been written off by some after 2 full games in a new league.

Has looked poor i think thats all everyone is saying

I don't think he has looked as bad as people are making out. He was involved in two of our best chances yest. One a nice backheel and the other a chest down. Surely he should get a little bit of credit for that?

• Like 1

Got better as the game went on, needs to build a partnership with the other forward players though but i think that will come once we find our best team and stick with it for a few games.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

I think he's a had a decent start, certainly not poor, but like Benteke did - he will need time. 

What can't be understated is the impact he has when he plays, even when he's not playing well. He occupies at least 2 defenders in the box because he is such an aerial threat, and this automatically frees up space for our midfielders. This is one of the reasons why Sinclair has been finding space, and also why Adama will find it easier to isolate his full back. Hopefully Grealish can start exploiting the space and get into the box more as well.

Unsurprisingly, some stunning over-reaction from VT.

4 games in, he's "a donkey" and being scape-goated for a potential relegation.

Top work! :D

Classic VT. just watch the change when he starts scoring then it's knew all along he was good. 4 games in and we are already relegated due to

1 man. Even my step-granddaughter doesn't wet her pants as much as many on here and she's only two. Let's give them a chance and for what it's worth I don't think we will struggle if we need tomstrengthen in January sherwood will as fox will back him as he is effectively running the club in proxy to the chairman.

Scored 30 out of his 31 goals with his head. It's simple. Want him to score? Tell the likes of Bacuna, Amavi, Traore, Grealish, and Sinclair to throw some crosses in when Gestede is playing up top. Gestede looks very slow and his movement off the ball was very poor. Seems like we have to give him perfect crosses to his head for him to score. 

Â