Rudy Gestede

midian

As I said on the post match thread sadly I think Gestede is a championship grade striker with little mobility. Yes he will score goals but he's no Beneteke replacement. In fact he is not the next John Carew either.

Goes from a cult hero to a one trick pony after three games. Jesus, judge him after 10 games.

Not and never was a cult hero in my book. I really hope he makes the grade of us but as I said in my post above I don't see him as anything special. I just hope he proves me wrong.

As I said on the post match thread sadly I think Gestede is a championship grade striker with little mobility. Yes he will score goals but he's no Beneteke replacement. In fact he is not the next John Carew either.

That was always a silly comparison. 

Carew was far more dynamic, he was a hell of a lot better outside the box and we he actually got moving he had a deceptively good turn off pace, Gestede doesn't appear to have any pace. 

That was always a silly comparison. 

Carew was far more dynamic, he was a hell of a lot better outside the box and we he actually got moving he had a deceptively good turn off pace, Gestede doesn't appear to have any pace. 

I agree it is a silly comparison but that is what fans I have spoken to have said. I can't be arsed to trawl through this thread but I wouldn't mind betting its been said on here too.

He didn't really impose himself at all today, I felt a player as basic as Delaney handled him very well, winning most of his aerial battles. Gestede really wasn't enough of a nuisance and didn't give the Palace centre halves anything to think about. Perhaps it's match fitness or perhaps it's just Gestede's limitations as a footballer. Without quality going into the box on a consistent basis I just don't see him doing a lot. 

He didn't really impose himself at all today, I felt a player as basic as Delaney handled him very well, winning most of his aerial battles. Gestede really wasn't enough of a nuisance and didn't give the Palace centre halves anything to think about. Perhaps it's match fitness or perhaps it's just Gestede's limitations as a footballer. Without quality going into the box on a consistent basis I just don't see him doing a lot.

That's the worrying thing for me, he was so easily managed by an average defender

I don't think Delaney won most of the aerial battles. In fact, checking whoscored, Gestede won 11 aerial duels (more than any other player on the pitch) and Delaney won 7. The problem is once he won the header it failed to find a teammate or the back of the net.

I think Rudy is still a little ways off full fitness and he's still learning to read his teammates. And his strike partner was crap. Too early to judge him yet.

From the stream I watched when he did win headers Gabby was no where near ready the flick on.

He wasn't great in all honesty needs time to settle but my initial feeling is I'm not really seeing what he offers that Kozak doesn't

I don't understand how fitness played a part in this. I rarely saw him doing anything other than a jog on the pitch. He was not making runs for Grealish to pass to. He literally just situated himself for headers every time. I can't imagine it takes much fitness to jog around a 10 foot area occasionally. 

Â