Rudy Gestede

midian

I think there's plenty of potential for someone like Gestede to do rather well in our team. Should we adopt a 4231 formation (like Chelsea) then Gestede could make the ideal hold up player in front of a trio of players looking to run beyond (Grealish, Gil and Traore). Sadly, I think our defense would get mullered without a 3 man midfield in front of them to provide some protection.

Palace had there tactics bang on. he was marked out the game most of the time. If pardew is half a manager he will know Gabby ain't gonna do much and even Grealish rarely shoots, so the tactic to keep 2 on Gestede was a positive one. 

He'll have to show there's more to his game than just heading a ball. He was outmuscled by Delany and Smalling in the last two games. He needs to be able to hold the ball up and use his feet more if he is going to make it at this level.

Going to take him a few months to work out how to beat a defender because he looked very amateur.

I'm not surprised though, the Prem is a bloody tough place to play and he's been playing at a lower level for a while. 

I do have some concerns though that he has too much to work on, his heading positioning is poor, his footwork awful, he passing short and his back to goal quite average, flick ons were pretty clueless.

Kozak would have shown him up, though it wouldn't have been hard. I'm sure he'll come good but he might need to stay out of the firing line while he develops.

I watched the game after it happened and was expecting a fairly torrid performance based on everybodys comments.

I'd agree we were pretty poor upfront and particularly the movement was virtually non existant from Gabby and Rudy.

I'd also agree that Delaney did well to nullify Rudy in the air for most of the game.

However it wasnt an absolute stinker of a performance he did win a number of headers but didnt have any supporting runs to get the knock downs. He was also fairly tidy in his build up play, he barely gave it away at all so not sure why people are criticising that so much.

Obviously technique isnt as good as Tekkers but did anyone think it would be?

Edited by villaglint

When Gestede scored the goal against Bournemouth people were talking about how any striker we brought in, in particular Adebayor, would be back-up to Gestede. And there was widespread agreement. The player has played maybe 100 minutes since then, and now he's described as looking like an amateur cart-horse. Compared to keeping a former Real Madrid striker out of the team, that's quite the turn around. In 100 minutes. It's like at points last season when posters here were saying if we got an offer of £12 million for Benteke we should take it.

There is a psychiatric diagnosis called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, aka Borderline. The main symptoms involve 'black and white thinking' and 'catastrophizing'. If something isn't the best, it's the worst. There is little capacity for appreciating what has gone before or what may come in the future in coming to a conclusion about something. EUPDs tend to enter into really intense relationships, where they initially think the person is the best person they've ever met, and then once something goes wrong in the relationship, they think they're some sort of monster that they never want to see ever again. And they often flip flop between these two extremes.

It sounds an awful lot like being a Villa fan: 

borderlinepersonalitydisorder.png

Poor man's Withe?

Then again Withe had Morley, Sid and many others who could actually cross and pass a ball.

As and when service improves...

It's not appropriate to mention Peter Withe in this thread. At least not yet.

he has only really had one decent heading opportunity since he scored, Unless I missed something. Needs service. 

Yeah, hasn't been a whole lot since. The only other I can think of is against United, Westwood played the wonderful crossfield pass right onto the head of Gestede to knock down...unfortunately, his strike partner (ahem, Gabby) has zero awareness, so it came to nothing. 

Hopefully the team can find ways to get him better involved and also use him to hold the ball up and then take advantage of runs made by players like Adama, Gil, and Grealish.

he has only really had one decent heading opportunity since he scored, Unless I missed something. Needs service. 

Had a wide open header against palace which he put wide by about 30 yards. He was unmarked and had a clear view on goal.

When Gestede scored the goal against Bournemouth people were talking about how any striker we brought in, in particular Adebayor, would be back-up to Gestede. And there was widespread agreement. The player has played maybe 100 minutes since then, and now he's described as looking like an amateur cart-horse. Compared to keeping a former Real Madrid striker out of the team, that's quite the turn around. In 100 minutes. It's like at points last season when posters here were saying if we got an offer of £12 million for Benteke we should take it.

There is a psychiatric diagnosis called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, aka Borderline. The main symptoms involve 'black and white thinking' and 'catastrophizing'. If something isn't the best, it's the worst. There is little capacity for appreciating what has gone before or what may come in the future in coming to a conclusion about something. EUPDs tend to enter into really intense relationships, where they initially think the person is the best person they've ever met, and then once something goes wrong in the relationship, they think they're some sort of monster that they never want to see ever again. And they often flip flop between these two extremes.

It sounds an awful lot like being a Villa fan: 

borderlinepersonalitydisorder.png

He has been very poor since that game...

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â