Rudy Gestede

midian

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Didn't think he was too bad but we seemed to direct at times because of him. 

The main issue is him in the team forces ayew outside 

I think he needs to be an option from.the bench. 

Problem with Gestede is that we don't play to his strenghs. We all know what he is about but we don't play the way he needs us too. Same problem with Benteke at Liverpool. He now looks shite there same as Gestede does with us. We need width and good crossers of the ball. I actually think with Traore,Green and Grealish starting this guy would be lethal

'We don't play to his strengths'.

What a pathetic argument. He's absolutely useless, his touch is shocking, he's slow and he doesn't win headers anyway. How do we have to play just to accommodate this useless lump? Does he need Messi and Ronaldo behind him before we see the sparkling form he produced in that one season at Blackburn Rovers. 

He's crap. Even as a plan B.

• Like 2

It is unarguable that we don't and haven't had anyone to supply crosses to him (which by the way is a shocking indictment of the previous management and also current management if the plan is indeed to use him,  I am shocked we haven't dealt with this issue by now) but I still have my reservations about him. Not convinced that even with a good supply he will deliver consistently enough. He basically had just 1 good season,  how many strikers down the years have had 1 good season and never done it again? 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What a pathetic argument. He's absolutely useless, his touch is shocking, he's slow and he doesn't win headers anyway. How do we have to play just to accommodate this useless lump? 

That's like launching the ball 60 feet up in the air at Messi and saying he's shit because he can't do anything with it. Of course you have to play to a players strengths to get the best out of them, regardless of whether they're world class or terrible. 

He's a **** donkey. Lost so many bread and butter headers. The flick on was decent but the anticipation and movement from McCormack made it. That was Gestede's one positive contribution. 

We should replace him, but we will need somebody decent in the air as an option. I can't think of who off the top my head. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

That's like launching the ball 60 feet up in the air at Messi and saying he's shit because he can't do anything with it. Of course you have to play to a players strengths to get the best out of them, regardless of whether they're world class or terrible. 

From what I've seen his strengths are standing really still and waiting for a world class cross to be put on his head...

hes simply not good enough, worst striker I've ever seen at villa, he offers nothing

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

From what I've seen his strengths are standing really still and waiting for a world class cross to be put on his head...

hes simply not good enough, worst striker I've ever seen at villa, he offers nothing

and yet two of our best chances were directly from him. Flick on for a one on one for McCormack and then a decent layoff for Westwood's effort. Not to mention he had a  very good header himself from a Hutton or Bacuna cross, I can't recall. It wasn't a world class cross either, he made a very poor cross look good.

I don't think he was great today by any means, but unfortunately if your name is Gestede, Hutton, etc. unless you put in a very good performance, it's going to be labelled as shit by many IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

What a pathetic argument. He's absolutely useless, his touch is shocking, he's slow and he doesn't win headers anyway. How do we have to play just to accommodate this useless lump? Does he need Messi and Ronaldo behind him before we see the sparkling form he produced in that one season at Blackburn Rovers. 

He's crap. Even as a plan B.

What service did he get yesterday??? You cant blame him if your midfield creates you nothing

He's getting pelters and by and large I'd agree. What I would say is that he did nearly score with his header and his flick on out McCormack through one on one. He also won a lot of flick ons which he never seemed to do in the Prem so some encouraging signs I think. If you offered me someone else with some pace and movement I'd be very happy but it was interesting what that Wednesday fan said in the match thread about Gestede and how useful he could be to us this year. 

• Like 1

Yes he could score more if we specifically played to his one strength but the question is, should you accommodate and build your team and style around an average useless lump who could, not will, score more? Or get rid of the tree to accommodate the other 10 players?

• Like 3

nail on the head for me, he's never shown enough to suggest that he's good enough to dictate how we should play, playing to his strengths last season because we had no viable alternative would have made sense, this year with mccormack and the money to buy a.n.other we dont need to

if you had £10m to buy 1 player would you buy a winger to cross to rudy or would you buy a better striker?

better striker for me all day

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

nail on the head for me, he's never shown enough to suggest that he's good enough to dictate how we should play, playing to his strengths last season because we had no viable alternative would have made sense, this year with mccormack and the money to buy a.n.other we dont need to

if you had £10m to buy 1 player would you buy a winger to cross to rudy or would you buy a better striker?

better striker for me all day

Agreed but if we do play him you have to play to his strengths. I'm not really sure why we played him yesterday if we weren't going to do this. We could easily have put Ayew further up or played one of the youngsters.

I'd like us to use him in the same way as Wednesday used Nuhiu. I thought he was a brilliant option for them off the bench and think Rudy could have a similar impact in games where we need something different for the last 20 minutes or so. I see him as kind of similar to the argument people had for Carroll going to the Euros although he's nowhere near as good! He's a different option which we could turn to as a plan B when chasing a goal. 

I keep hearing he will be OK as an impact player. I have absolutely no idea why people would think this. He will be OK as an impact player exit but I see no other use for him. 

Â