Rudy Gestede

midian

Some posters here were slagging him before he'd even kicked a ball this season. Lesson: if a player has scored 20+ goals in a division before, don't totally write him off before he has been a given at least 3 or 4 games.

• Like 2

I wouldn't want the team to consistently play to his strengths, it might get Gestede some goals but I don't think it will get us promoted. But to be fair to Gestede today his goals didn't actually come from the type's of passages of play that you'd normally associate him scoring from, I know one was a cross of sorts, but it wasn't a whipped in cross from way out wide.

• Like 1

Best performance from him in a Villa shirt so far. From the first whistle he looked motivated, don't remember him losing an aerial challenge and was more than willing to put himself about. Also looked really good with the ball at his feet today and linked up well with McCormack, Ayew and Grealish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

Best performance from him in a Villa shirt so far. From the first whistle he looked motivated, don't remember him losing an aerial challenge and was more than willing to put himself about. Also looked really good with the ball at his feet today and linked up well with McCormack, Ayew and Grealish. 

Thats my main problem with him. He hasnt won aerial challenges since he started playing for us. Maybe Clark or Di Mateeo has pointed that out to him.

Good performance, no arguing with two goals and an assist. Although if you wanted to be critical you could say he should easily have got a hattrick, rolled Ayew's pullback a foot wide when he was nearly on the penalty spot at the start of the second half. 

Overall, though, a very good performance. You can see how he got to 20 goals in a season, he's got 10% of the way there after 4% of the games so far. 

As mentioned previously, he has consistently won headers for us when playing, the problem has been that they have never gone to a villa player. Today he had players moving around and ahead of him and therefore when heels flicking the ball on it actually fell to a villa player. 

Took both goals well and could've maybe even should've had a hattrick.

It was his best performance for us and long may it continue.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good performance, no arguing with two goals and an assist. Although if you wanted to be critical you could say he should easily have got a hattrick, rolled Ayew's pullback a foot wide when he was nearly on the penalty spot at the start of the second half. 

Overall, though, a very good performance. You can see how he got to 20 goals in a season, he's got 10% of the way there after 4% of the games so far. 

do you want to sort my gas bill out.....you little mathematician you.:)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think he will be our leading scorer this season. Too much of handful for the championship. 

Against the weaker sides like Rotherham he'll score hatfuls.

Wednesday snuffed him out pretty comfortably last weekend so not sure I'd play him in the bigger games...go with McC and Ayew and the other new striker we're bringing in, much more pace and mobility.

Rudy will be Rudy...awful to watch but will have 10-15 by end of this season.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

As mentioned previously, he has consistently won headers for us when playing, the problem has been that they have never gone to a villa player. Today he had players moving around and ahead of him and therefore when heels flicking the ball on it actually fell to a villa player. 

Took both goals well and could've maybe even should've had a hattrick.

It was his best performance for us and long may it continue.

Exactly, this is the kind of thing we had with Carew, Benteke etc. Constant problems because the big men winning everything in the air could be so distracting the opposition would at times forget to picking up the other attackers making runs etc.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Against the weaker sides like Rotherham he'll score hatfuls.

Wednesday snuffed him out pretty comfortably last weekend so not sure I'd play him in the bigger games...go with McC and Ayew and the other new striker we're bringing in, much more pace and mobility.

Rudy will be Rudy...awful to watch but will have 10-15 by end of this season.

Wednesday snuffed out Norwich as well. He scored bags for Blackburn in his final season there, so no reason he cant do the same for us. Not sure Ayew wants to be here,. 

I don't think Rudy's character was ever in question. Remember whilst Lescott, Gabby and Richards were doing their "thing", Rudy was working in a soup kitchen for the homeless.

By all accounts he looked up for it yesterday. Motivated and hungry. That could be a down to a number of factors, including talk of a new striker coming in. 

I'd be surprised if the motivational speech and hunger from Dr. X, allied to the work done by RDM and Clarke on the training pitch to try and get the ball to him in more dangerous positions haven't also gone and given him the confidence he needs to rekindle his Blackburn form.

Can't hurt having someone like Elphick on the pitch as his captain too. Hopefully he can build on this. If he keeps his place in the team on merit then it's great for him and the team.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

Nobody should be surprised at his two goals on Saturday, he is a very capable goal scorer at this level.

That is why I couldn't understand people clambering for Dwight Gayle who hasn't been a proven scorer at any professional level.

Rudy could be a very important player this season.

• Like 4

Â