Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Since there's literally a 0% chance of either being here at the start of next season, what I don't understand is why we're talking about them in this thread. 

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds bossy, I don't mean it to be. Go ahead and dream about Young and Milner all you want, but it's just wasted energy, is what I'm saying. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Yep somebody brought up Milner so I mentioned Young, so my fault its digressed so far. If Bournemouth dont get promoted I would like Callum Wilson. Also Will Hughes Derby. These are the two players that have impressed me most from the championship this season and both are very young. 

No chance Milner is coming back here, think he's going to Liverpool. Arsenal have already been mentioned.

Someone like Lugono is much more realistic and I wouldn't have an issue with him coming in as he played well at the Asia cup which is a step up from league 1.

I would think that Tim will try to use his penchant for giving young players a chance to entice promising young players from the championship to move to Villa.

So you're saying that young could come back?

I would think that Tim will try to use his penchant for giving young players a chance to entice promising young players from the championship to move to Villa.

So you're saying that young could come back?

ISWYDT

Yep thats my take to - don't see it working TBH - Young and Hungry MKII ?

Yes he did have a season on loan. Young for me did a lot more for Villa than Milner did yet doesn't get the credit he deserves. Our best player by a mile under Oneill. Played longer for the club scored more goals and created more chances. Any sorry about the digression I just don't understand the adolation on here for Milner

Just to continue this digression for a moment longer; we must have been watching a different Young and Milner during O'Neill's time.

Young was fantastic in his first two seasons with us, a bundle of energy, tricks and unpredictability, but then he became largely underwhelming for the remainder of his time here, in my opinion. It was a combination of teams doubling up on him, sussing out his step-over-step-over-cut-inside, him possibly believing in his own hype and him starting to overhit his crosses and shots. I remember there was a season when, at least, 60% of his corners went flying over the last man and out for a goal kick.

Milner, on the other hand, was Mr Consistent in his time here. He might not have had the flashy tricks and flair that Young had, but on the wing he was 'good' and, when moved into central midfield, he was 'great'. His workrate alone, made it seem like we had an extra man in midfield. Add to that, his defensive work, creativity and goals, he was a much bigger loss to us than Young, Downing or Barry (IMO).

• Like 3

Young dipped but had a good spell when he played centrally. He got into the England team again on the back of it and played a similar role quite well iirc.

Milner was 8/10 every match.

If I was to have either of them at their peak I'd probably choose Young again. He ripped teams apart on his own when he was at it.

Yep thats my take to - don't see it working TBH - Young and Hungry MKII ?

Ashley Young and Grant Holt?  ITK?

• Like 2

Young dipped but had a good spell when he played centrally. He got into the England team again on the back of it and played a similar role quite well iirc.

Milner was 8/10 every match.

If I was to have either of them at their peak I'd probably choose Young again. He ripped teams apart on his own when he was at it.

Yes he's also been one of United's best players this season playing on the left and is keeping Di Maria out of the team. Don't think Milner has reached his heights this season. 

Young is an absolute rocket polisher though. Fancy diving for a penalty at the first opportunity against the club that took a gamble on you, helped turn you into an England player, paid you millions in wages and got you your dream move to Urinal. Milner every day for me. Not that it is likely.

• Like 1

Papers linking us to Jake Livermore if Hull get relegated - wouldn't be an improvement on any of our current midfielders IMO.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-make-move-jake-5569830

I totally expect us to be linked to every player that has played for Spudzzz from now on.... feels like lazy journalism.

Edited by theboyangel

We are woefully short at centre back.

Baker\Vlaar\Senderos are a bit injury prone.

Okore is still Young and prone to the odd error

Clark possibly player of the season. CB has been a weak spot for the last few years for us  - assuming at least one of Vlaar\Senderos leaves - 2 new centre backs please.

Woefully short at centreback?

We have 5 first team centrebacks. And despite all of the injuries we've had this season, not once have we had to have anyone fill in at centreback, it's always been a proper CB pairing.

If anyone leaves then fair enough, they need to be replaced (Vlaar probably).

But I'd hardly call us woefully short. It's probably the position in the squad where we have the most depth!

Woefully short at centreback?

We have 5 first team centrebacks. And despite all of the injuries we've had this season, not once have we had to have anyone fill in at centreback, it's always been a proper CB pairing.

If anyone leaves then fair enough, they need to be replaced (Vlaar probably).

But I'd hardly call us woefully short. It's probably the position in the squad where we have the most depth!

Well as it stands we are one injury away from such a scenario - and given one of our current fit CB'S is Vlaar - we are skating close to thin ice on that one.

Numerically we are fine - but given the injury prone Baker\Vlaar\Senderos  (a few weeks back none of those were fit) - I would add to this area

Have this discussion every pre season - every season we buy 1 cb - when I reckon it should be 2 !