Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

He can play all over central midfield, he's also played a holding midfield role for us a few times and was excellent. He's not a big lad, but he's not shy of a strong tackle. Depending on who's fit, he tends to play more of a box to box role.

Edited by Moonraker
  • Like 1

I don't know about Milner. The only player I can think of that was a success upon his return to Villa park was Cowans. Would rather have Ashley Young back myself. A better player than Milner. 

• Like 1

The Daily Mail are reporting that we are going in for Massimo Luongo of Swindon.

I watched him in the Asian cup here in Oz and I was impressed so if it's true then I'm happy with this one.

As a Swindon fan, I think it's highly likely he'll end up with you next season.
Can you give us a bit of a rundown on the guy please?

Lively attacking midfielder with a good eye for a pass. He absolutely bosses the midfield quite often at this level. He was awarded the best player of the Asian cup recently, he's somewhat the 'darling' of Australia at the moment. Apparently before leaving Spurs, where he was with Sherwood, Sherwood wanted him to stay on but Luongo chose to join us because Spurs had so much strength and depth in midfield at the time and he wanted games.

We rejected a 2.5M bid for him in January so he'll likely go for 3-4M, Although Tim Sherwood and Lee Power (our owner)are close friends so there's on knowing what deal might be struck.

Thanks mate, sounds promising.

I don't know about Milner. The only player I can think of that was a success upon his return to Villa park was Cowans. Would rather have Ashley Young back myself. A better player than Milner. ey 

they usually have success at Villa Park when its with other clubs though :P

Edited by Zatman

I think Everton trying to offload Barry in summer

is it being too nostalgic? only issue I have with him is he gets too many yellow cards

I think it is. He has maybe 20 games a season in him now and let's face it he's fat and very, very slow. If he looked after himself better he could have had a longer career but there's a reason Everton are trying to offload him (2 years left on his deal IIRC).

true but I think if we got into Europa League he could help out and could do similar to Joe Cole as a late calming sub

true but I think if we got into Europa League he could help out and could do similar to Joe Cole as a late calming sub

I doubt he'd take the kind of money we'd be willing to pay a player for that role

• Like 1

I don't know about Milner. The only player I can think of that was a success upon his return to Villa park was Cowans. Would rather have Ashley Young back myself. A better player than Milner. 

God no.  I think Young is potentially more talented, but he's not a better player and he certainly doesn't have the same attitude as Milner.

For me, aside from Martin Laursen, James Milner has been the biggest loss for Villa of recent times.  The guy is class.  Potentially the most underrated player in the Premier League.

• Like 1

God no.  I think Young is potentially more talented, but he's not a better player and he certainly doesn't have the same attitude as Milner.

For me, aside from Martin Laursen, James Milner has been the biggest loss for Villa of recent times.  The guy is class.  Potentially the most underrated player in the Premier League.

but not so underrated that he wont find himself a top 6 club that will pay him £100k a week in the summer...

Elsa-Singing-Let-It-Go.jpg

• Like 1

The Daily Mail are reporting that we are going in for Massimo Luongo of Swindon.

I watched him in the Asian cup here in Oz and I was impressed so if it's true then I'm happy with this one.

As a Swindon fan, I think it's highly likely he'll end up with you next season.

Can you give us a bit of a rundown on the guy please?

Lively attacking midfielder with a good eye for a pass. He absolutely bosses the midfield quite often at this level. He was awarded the best player of the Asian cup recently, he's somewhat the 'darling' of Australia at the moment. Apparently before leaving Spurs, where he was with Sherwood, Sherwood wanted him to stay on but Luongo chose to join us because Spurs had so much strength and depth in midfield at the time and he wanted games. 

We rejected a 2.5M bid for him in January so he'll likely go for 3-4M, Although Tim Sherwood and Lee Power (our owner)are close friends so there's on knowing what deal might be struck. 

He sounds like an able understudy to Fabian Delph would you say? Though I guess passing is not Delph's greatest ability so maybe they could compliment each other. In attitude too, credit where it is due for dropping down for games. 

I like the sound of him. 

Yes he did have a season on loan.  Young for me did a lot more for Villa than Milner did yet doesn't get the credit he deserves. Our best player by a mile under Oneill. Played longer for the club scored more goals and created more chances. Any sorry about the digression I just don't understand the adolation on here for Milner 

• Like 4