Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

You're comparing a true attacking mid/winger to a more defensive minded mid. That is like comparing Hazard to Matic essentially. They have completely different roles. 

Really? Joe Cole for me has always been the rich mans Lee Hendrie not a winger at least in the pacey Robben mould, not an AMC in the Riqueleme mould. Joe Cole's never had 7 assists in the League in all his career yet Westwood had, albeit 2 seasons ago but he was playing in a pretty brutal team, he got deeper and deeper every season under Lambert who saw us concede a ridiculous amount of goals in his first year (69 year 1, 61 year 2, 45 at the moment). Westwood isn't a defensive midfielder, he's 5 foot 9, Matic is 6 foot 4. I think Westwood is the poor mans Carrick, but I think he is definitely an asset, I don't doubt for a second he could sit behind a front 2 picking passes he just hasn't got the chance. When you think of him you don't think of the flashiness associated with a Grealish or Cole but the man can definitely pick a pass.

maybe im misinterpreting this but you are suggesting that Joe Cole of nearly 50 England caps, 10 years at Chelsea and 3 league titles and many other trophies has never been as good as Westwood

No I'm saying 33 year old Joe Cole who's started 2 games this year isn't as good as Westwood.

A minor consideration I know but Luongo would be a bit of a marketing coup. Not only would the club's profile rise in Australia but also Indonesia which is a hugely untapped market. Luongo's mother is Indonesian and although he has never been there he is one of the most popular sportsmen in that country. If he moved to a Premier league club that popularity would explode IMO.

Of course all the shirt sales would be knock-offs ...

I remember during the Asian Cup, whenever the commentators would mention Luongo, the words "Swindon Town" were usually in the same sentence.

Not knowing if we are safe yet, or who the new owners will be and how much money they plan to spend renders this thread a bit premature. 

I'd suggest that's exactly what makes it interesting for those contributing to it.

yet from only 2 starts and 1500 less minutes he has the same amount of assists as Westwood and even has a goal

Heskey scored more goals than Guzan has - bring him back!!

I'm just being facetious but they're clearly different players in different positions.

Andre Ayew on a free anyone? We was interested in January and he is out of contract in the summer.

Fabian Schar (Basel) is a towering, goalscoring defender who is also out of contract..

Edited by Villan4Life

The argument on the last page about Westwood not being a DM because he's only 5 foot 9 whereas DMs have to be 6 foot 4 because Matic is was where I stopped reading.

He's not really a DM because he's not very good at tackling. I appreciate he often plays in that position, but I don't think that's his strength. 

Andre Ayew on a free anyone? We was interested in January and he is out of contract in the summer.

Fabian Schar (Basel) is a towering, goalscoring defender who is also out of contract..

Schar is a beast and if we could get him, it'd be an excellent signing. 

• Like 1

I think Ayew's wages will be out of our structure

Unless we get taken over

Is Schar better than Vlaar?

Edited by AshVilla

Outside of PSG, French teams don't pay massive amounts so think Ayew would only be on 30k or thereabouts although obviously other clubs will be offering him decent wage rises.

Still releasing Bent and 60k off the wage bill should give us a little flexibility in the attacking areas.

I think if Burnley or qpr go down , I would seriously put a bid in for ings or Austin , outside the top 6 or 7 ( maybe a step to far ) think it will be fair game for them .. also I'd have hoillet and mahrez probably would be cheap as well .

Outside of PSG, French teams don't pay massive amounts so think Ayew would only be on 30k or thereabouts

Wikipedia (I know) puts his salary at 3.2m euros a year, or 45k in sterling

I think Ayew's wages will be out of our structure

Unless we get taken over

Is Schar better than Vlaar?

No not at the moment, but Schar is 23 and has tremendous upside. His partnership with Suchy (Czech) has been great. He had a great match against Real Madrid in the champions league this season which got him some attention.

I actually know a bit about Schar because 2 Czech internationals play for Basil. West Ham and Spurs are apparently interested as well. 

Schär is already as good as Vlaar, if not better. I can't see us being a realistic destination however. He has been long coveted by big clubs and quite a few need a new centre-back.