Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Senderos is fit again so we're not one injury away from that scenario. Plus, assuming Baker's injury is a short term one then we're not far off being back to four fit centrebacks.

Calling us woefully short is bizarre to be honest. I can understand wanting 2 more if Vlaar leaves, but even so, that would give us SIX first team centrebacks.

is there another team in the league that has 6 dedicated centrebacks?

Senderos is fit again so we're not one injury away from that scenario. Plus, assuming Baker's injury is a short term one then we're not far off being back to four fit centrebacks.

Calling us woefully short is bizarre to be honest. I can understand wanting 2 more if Vlaar leaves, but even so, that would give us SIX first team centrebacks.

is there another team in the league that has 6 dedicated centrebacks?

That was what I said - 2 more assuming 1 of Vlaar\Senderos leaves.

No there probably isn't another team with 6 CB'S - If we had 4 that rarley got injured that would suffice.  Not quite sure whats happening with Baker it was reported that he is out for season at first - but TS said he is being assessed week by week. To me its key area - I think playing someout out of position here - or putting a rookie in, well you can't get away with it like you can in other positions..

Well I don't really disagree with that. But again, despite all of our injury problems, and our injury prone centrebacks, we've NEVER had to play someone out of position at centreback this season. That would indicate that we've had pretty good cover with five. I think having six would be overkill.

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion really. I think you just got a bit carried away and used the word "woefully", which is an exaggeration at best.

One thing I really don't want is us buying a load of English lower league players and a load of ex-Tottenham players. Don't get me wrong we could unearth a gem or two, but honestly we really need to push on with some quality, its well overdue.

• Like 1

One thing I really don't want is us buying a load of English lower league players and a load of ex-Tottenham players. Don't get me wrong we could unearth a gem or two, but honestly we really need to push on with some quality, its well overdue.

More worried by the lower league players TBH - I think the ex spurs thing is whipped up by the media....

I think Tim will be the kind of manager who is overly ambitious with his signings. Going for players you wouldn't think we'd be able to sign.

Unsure as to whether that will be a good thing. It could go the way of Redknapp, paying too much money for overhyped "names".

Or it could go the way of Allardyce, especially in his Bolton days, adding good marquee signings to his already effective team.

Given Tim's approach to youth, I'm tempted to say he'll shy away from over the hill big names, so I'm pretty hopeful of the upcoming window.

(obviously this is all based on a hunch, so may well be total bollocks)

I think Tim will be the kind of manager who is overly ambitious with his signings. Going for players you wouldn't think we'd be able to sign.

Unsure as to whether that will be a good thing. It could go the way of Redknapp, paying too much money for overhyped "names".

Or it could go the way of Allardyce, especially in his Bolton days, adding good marquee signings to his already effective team.

Given Tim's approach to youth, I'm tempted to say he'll shy away from over the hill big names, so I'm pretty hopeful of the upcoming window.

(obviously this is all based on a hunch, so may well be total bollocks)

Hopefully your hunch turns out to be reality! 

I think we do need to concentrate on youth and I think Tim will, however it seems we've already signed Sako and he'll be 30 in a couple of years. Not complaining about that signing by the way, it could turn out to be a good bit of business, but making a point that I don't think he'll "only" sign young players. 

However, I like your idea of Tim being ambitious with his signings and trying to get players to buy into his philosophy and to show players just how big this club is. We need that, we need a few quality players added all over the pitch, for depth if anything.

Just saying, selling Westwood and buying Livermore would be absolutely mental. Not only is Westwood better, but we'd probably buy Livermore for more than we sold Westwood for. Really hope it's not true.

• Like 2

I believe we will have 2 approaches to players going forward:

1. Getting in the right player where possible to fill an immediate need in the first team. For example, if Benteke goes, we go out and get the replacement.
  2. Getting in players whose value we can boost to make a profit, with the hope of them becoming first team squad players.

I suspect people will start getting angry with the second of these, but I think it makes perfect sense IF it doesn't detract from number 1. Sako is an example of option 2. So was Bowery, Westwood, Bennett, Lowton, etc.

Not all of these will work but we should be able to make a profit and an extra few million into the coffers would be very welcome every season.

I understand why people might get angry with option 2, as it seems to have largely dominated our plans for a few years, but if we get the balance right it would be a good thing.

And it's what Chelsea do, but at a higher level. De Bruyne, Courtois, Saleh, even Cahill on a free a few years ago

I believe we will have 2 approaches to players going forward:

1. Getting in the right player where possible to fill an immediate need in the first team. For example, if Benteke goes, we go out and get the replacement.
  2. Getting in players whose value we can boost to make a profit, with the hope of them becoming first team squad players.

I suspect people will start getting angry with the second of these, but I think it makes perfect sense IF it doesn't detract from number 1. Sako is an example of option 2. So was Bowery, Westwood, Bennett, Lowton, etc.

Not all of these will work but we should be able to make a profit and an extra few million into the coffers would be very welcome every season.

I understand why people might get angry with option 2, as it seems to have largely dominated our plans for a few years, but if we get the balance right it would be a good thing.

And it's what Chelsea do, but at a higher level. De Bruyne, Courtois, Saleh, even Cahill on a free a few years ago

You sure?

Just saying, selling Westwood and buying Livermore would be absolutely mental. Not only is Westwood better, but we'd probably buy Livermore for more than we sold Westwood for. Really hope it's not true.

Not really the same time of midfielder, Livermore is a box-to-box player more akin to Delph. He is average though so I can't say I'd be enamored by his signing. Hopefully it is just lazy journalism based upon his ex-Spurs links.

Edited by Isa

Not really the same time of midfielder, Livermore is a box-to-box player more akin to Delph. He is average though so I can't say I'd be enamored by his signing. Hopefully it is just lazy journalism based upon his ex-Spurs links.

Even more baffling then! He's a shite version of Delph who won't be cheap. I'd hate to end up with loads of ex Spuds. It's a bit lazy really.

I reckon a couple of boys from Sherwoods days with the spurs youth teams ie luongo (?) and another. I imagine the rest will be players identified by paddy and his team who can add to the side and make a profit later. No marquees yet, or even players over £5 M I think.

I wouldn't say Livermore is anything like Delph, he just runs around a lot and has very little footballing ability.

Yeah, obviously not as good. I just meant in terms of his role at Hull.

I'd have had a look at Livermore a couple of years ago, but the way Delph and Westwood have developed, along with hopefully (didn't think I'd ever say this) Cleverley plus Sanchez, I can't see him adding anything at all to improve us. I think the only realistic way of cracking the European spots is to keep buying youngish foreign talent for about £4-10m and then flog them to the big clubs, then reinvest. I wouldn't really want us to spend decent chunks of our budget on players that are ready now but after two years are on the way down and you can't sell on. I'm intrigued to see what Sherwood's transfer policy will be and what Fox and Lerner expect of him.

Re Livermore, If we manage to convince Cleverly to sign up then I can't see us signing more than one central midfielder (and think Luongo is more of a realistic target) as we already have

Delph (1st choice)

Cleverly (1st choice)

Westwood (rotation)

Sanchez (rotation)

Gardner (rotation/back up)

Sylla (rotation/back up) - although could be sold

Herd (rotation/back up) - although could be sold/released

I'm not including the likes of Grealish, N'Zogbia, Gil, Sinclair (and Tonev) who would operate further forward.

Left back is still a priority as I can't see Cissokho adapting to Sherwood's style of play, although I think he is our most capable defender in that position. Who knows, maybe Luna or Bennet (remember them!?!) will adapt better and suit our current style?

I think we should also look for another striker and move Weimann on - out of all our current squad, Weimann hasn't picked up in performance under TS whilst everyone else arguably has.

However, we could also use Robinson as our No.4 striker with Benteke (think we will keep him for another year), Gabby and Kozak ahead of him (not to mention Hepburn-Murphy)

I would like Sinclair to sign on permanently too, so we'd be pretty well stocked for AM's (Sinclair, N'Zogbia, Grealish, Cole, Gil etc) who can all offer something.

As for centre backs, we may need one more if Vlaar does indeed go. I think Baker, Clark and Okore have aquitted themselves brilliantly this season when called upon and all are maturing into decent centre halves but I still think we need a leader at the back (Clark is definately one of those though!) with experience.

So for me, it's a possible left back, centre back (unless Vlaar signs), sign up Cleverly and Sinclair and maybe a forward!

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1