Carles Gil

bose

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hope after promotion we are a lot more ambitious with our signings than players like Carlos Gill. 

Agreed, this was our problem. We went from spending huge amounts of money on players who were good but not good enough to get us there we wanted to be, despite paying the right transfer fee and wages to get what we needed, to then paying moderate but well over the top prices and wages for players who may or may not be good enough to play in the Premier League full stop. 

We ended up with a bunch of players who were just not good enough. 

Look at the number of teams now in the Premier league who thrive by paying decent but not OTT fees but manage to get in decent quality. 

We need to be the smart team picking up the decent quality players who are not the stellar players who go to the top 4 for mega millions but the tier below that and ensure to pay the market rate, not way OTT like we ended up doing. 

Carlos Gill and his ilk will not cut it for us, people just seemed desperate for him to be better than he really was. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think it’s an option to buy, not compulsory.

Oh Bugger! I had it in my mind that it was like the Amavi deal. That means this thread may rumble on for a bit longer yet.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Agreed, this was our problem. We went from spending huge amounts of money on players who were good but not good enough to get us there we wanted to be, despite paying the right transfer fee and wages to get what we needed, to then paying moderate but well over the top prices and wages for players who may or may not be good enough to play in the Premier League full stop. 

We ended up with a bunch of players who were just not good enough. 

Look at the number of teams now in the Premier league who thrive by paying decent but not OTT fees but manage to get in decent quality. 

We need to be the smart team picking up the decent quality players who are not the stellar players who go to the top 4 for mega millions but the tier below that and ensure to pay the market rate, not way OTT like we ended up doing. 

Carlos Gill and his ilk will not cut it for us, people just seemed desperate for him to be better than he really was. 

Luckily we’ve never signed a player called Carlos Gill so at least we’ve dodged that bullet :D

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I am a semi professional in basketball and a coach of 6 years as well, and have to agree with you completely on team culture and spirit.

I don't know that Gil's return would have a negative impact though, that is an unknown, if he earnt a place on merit then I don't see why it would be a problem.

Heynckes has returned to Bayern 4 times now. I personally have returned to two seperate clubs, one where I was no longer good enough due to promotion, the other where I left to play in a higher division, I have nothing but positive relationships at both these clubs. I do understand that ego clashes and the nature of Gil's departure could go wrong though.

Gil and Grealish actually had a bit of chemistry together on field, but I do take in to account what you and others are saying about how others might feel.

I think my point of view becomes redundant if what NeilS said, very sensibly, is true.

I was coming from the angle that he is still our player, and we are going to have to make additions and face the reality that not everyone will be good enough for the PL. Why not have him as a squad player, he's contracted here 'til 2019.

Do you remember the three goals he scored for us? All superb. Or any of his assists and general build up play? He is a bit lightweight and not very pacey, but he showed he can cut it from my POV.

The main thing I remember is was is in a team that got us relegated and he couldn't wait to leave. 3 goals and a few nice passes doesn't imprint on my memory as much.

As much as Westwood got slated I've got nothing for respect for him and his professionalism. Plus he is playing in the Premier League and his team are doing well.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Luckily we’ve never signed a player called Carlos Gill so at least we’ve dodged that bullet :D

WHOOP WHOOP PEDANT ALERT!!!!!!! :P

• Haha 1

He would probably be part of our squad next year if we were in the Premier League but I'd back Bruce to rinse him out. Bruce don't like poor attitudes. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We gave an unknown Spanish player a 4 and a half year deal.

Classic Lerner.

I've no real problem giving youngsters long contracts tbh - if they develop well, you get a good player signed up for a while.  If they don't, they're typically "cheap".  I doubt we will have spent as much on Carles Gil's wages as we have on John Terry's* - despite Gil having a 4 and a half year deal and Terry having a 1 year deal.

* - Assuming the rumoured £100k/wk for Terry is correct

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We gave an unknown Spanish player a 4 and a half year deal.

Classic Lerner.

To be fair, he came from Valencia, not exactly a small club.

One of the last times we went in for a relatively unknown from a big club we lost in our bid to sign Coutinho from Inter for 8.5 million.

• Like 2

Not even on the bench tonight.

Then again they maybe could use him, another loss and no Seedorf effect yet.

6 games as manager at Depor and his record is 2 draws and 4 losses.

Relaterad bild

• Like 1

Â