Carles Gil

bose

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

We seriously underperformed under Lambert imo.

Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Gil, Bertrand, Bacuna, Westwood, Kozak, Cissokho, Senderos, Lowton, Sylla were all very good signings in my view.

As part of a recruitment drive you can take any 2 or 3 of these and put them into a strong team and it's good business, they would be deemed decent signings, and would probably perform and develop better. We did them no favouts.... but to build an entire team out of these players who, let's be real, had achieved nothing and will never achieve anything is quite possibly the worst recruitment drive in my lifetime.

• Like 3

Best for all concerned that he goes. I like him but don't have time for players who don't want to be here. 

A few lovely goals and some good performances, generally I think they were from off the bench. Never really established his best position, for various reasons.

Clearly he doesn't fancy the championship. But the lack of stability at the club has played it's part. It's not helped that in the relatively short time he was actually part of the squad (around 18 months I think?) he was onto his fourth full time manager, not forgetting the stints of K-Mac and Eric Black. Obviously he wasn't the only one who had to deal with that turbulence. But I can understand why that and other factors would leave him a bit disenchanted.

In short, I wish well but won't miss him greatly. Well, maybe his boy-next-door smile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSV said:

boom. That was far worse.. .yet you always bring up what Gil did. (which we cannot even prove). Agents do what they can to make money.

Not sure what grealish does has to do with Gil 

No idea what the point is. What Jack did was a disgrace. That doesn't mean I then can't think Gil's actions were bad. 

If you want a prime example of a player that becomes better the less he plays on VT Carles is your man.

I've seen nothing to suggest he's cut out for english football just get rid and send him back to Spain.

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

I can only assume you have a very full life since you are dragging out a fight over nothing by  repeatedly and presumably deliberately misrepresenting me every time I clarify a pretty straightforward comment.

So, drawing on years of experience of explaining things patiently to very young children .....

No. I haven't said if we do well recruitment = good and vice verse.... I ADDED in the comment about our performances and results by way of ILLUSTRATING - just one way - that our recruitment has been poor. It didn't, and doesn't, mean anything more than that.

As even an idiot knows it's possible to have good recruitment and do poorly and vice Versa.

BUT as one way of illustrating my point it's reasonable to mention the fact that we are a mid table Championship side despite spending millions and millions.

Hence I think OUR recruitment being crap IS partly evidenced by that fact.

But, just like I didn't mention Young, or Foreign, or any of the other things you've tried to argue about, you have misrepresented me.

So, one more time.

I think our recruitment has been crap for years. You don't. 

Lovely.

So, in summary... you don't like young and foreign players?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, meregreen said:

Our problem was choice of managers and their choice of players. The two are linked.

Not necessarily. A manager might be able to spot a good player but not be able to get anything out of them. Recruiting and managing/coaching/motivating require very different skills. It's also usually unclear how much involvement a manager has in recruiting as opposed to players who have been recommended by scouts which can make it difficult to assess from the outside.

Edited by Michael118

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

As part of a recruitment drive you can take any 2 or 3 of these and put them into a strong team and it's good business, they would be deemed decent signings, and would probably perform and develop better. We did them no favouts.... but to build an entire team out of these players who, let's be real, had achieved nothing and will never achieve anything is quite possibly the worst recruitment drive in my lifetime.

Not sure about that. I thought quite a few of those had the ability to form the backbone of a 'strong team' in combination with players we already had.

What we lacked and failed to address in that period was midfield. Delph was overrated imo. I liked Westwood but saw him as more of a support player. Cleverly was similar. Albrighton and Sylla were rarely used. El Ahmadi lacked quality. Gil was a number 10 and Sinclair wasn't what we needed.

Our midfield lacked a core and any leadership or solidarity. This alongside Lambert failing to get the best out of the players he signed is what gave the impression his signings were just a bunch of 'spare parts players' all put together. They were a lot better than that imo.

Edited by Michael118

18 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure what grealish does has to do with Gil 

No idea what the point is. What Jack did was a disgrace. That doesn't mean I then can't think Gil's actions were bad. 

my point is.. you dont go on about Jacks off field dramas.. yet Gil you have a dig every time about a small thing like asking for a transfer.. which is standard procedures in football. Hardly unprofessional. 

8 hours ago, KSV said:

my point is.. you dont go on about Jacks off field dramas.. yet Gil you have a dig every time about a small thing like asking for a transfer.. which is standard procedures in football. Hardly unprofessional. 

Having your agent publicly state you have no intention of playing in the league is not standard procedure. Most players have the decency to sort things out behind closed doors. Not force the issue just weeks after relegation. 

I have a dig at Gil whenever people like yourself make out he was some sort of saint treated badly here. I don't keep going on about jack because unlike Gil, he did have intentions of playing here and helping us fight for promotion. So while he did act disgracefully in the past he's trying to redeem himself at this club. 

Big difference. 

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Having your agent publicly state you have no intention of playing in the league is not standard procedure. Most players have the decency to sort things out behind closed doors. Not force the issue just weeks after relegation. 

I have a dig at Gil whenever people like yourself make out he was some sort of saint treated badly here. I don't keep going on about jack because unlike Gil, he did have intentions of playing here and helping us fight for promotion. So while he did act disgracefully in the past he's trying to redeem himself at this club. 

Big difference. 

Your right.  There is a big difference. Your blaming Gil for having an agent who is a #$@&. You don't know he instructed him to tell the world. He could have spoken out of order. 

The difference to me is he always played his best.. trained hard and respected the club on and off the field. Something Jack has not done. On and off the field at certain times. Considering he's a local boy and loves the club as apposed to a young Spanish kid who was left out in the cold by Sherwood and just wants to go home. 

Yep big difference. Let's agree to disagree on this one because we never will agree.

He didnt always play his best and if he did his best was rubbish. He had no pace, no right foot, weak and had no defensive side to his game

Watched him play vs Eibar and the left back strolled past him most of the game and think he ended with a goal and an assist he had so much freedom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He didnt always play his best and if he did his best was rubbish. He had no pace, no right foot, weak and had no defensive side to his game

Watched him play vs Eibar and the left back strolled past him most of the game and think he ended with a goal and an assist he had so much freedom

You can't blame just him for goals conceded. There's a whole defence and defensive  a midfield to stop that. Their fans and plenty of managers rate him hence why theres always interest. He always tried.. yes sometimes he wasn't his best but he needed time to adjust to the English game.. most players are afforded this luxury.. he wasn't. Imo as a winger..it is not his best position. We kept using him as a winger. He was best through the middle linking up midfield and forwards. Lambert played him through the middle and it worked. Also even Tim..against leciester.. he played Grealish and Gil as two number 10s and we looked awesome until the numpty took them off. Then Gil was dropped for whatever reason. This.. he's too small attitude is why England will never win the World cup. Pick players based on fitness and size. Not on ability. 

He isn't a world beater but I just wanted to see more of him..he never got a proper chance here.. never got say 5-6 starts in a row. Players take 6 months plus to settle. Changes of management etc.. just bad timing. He's a good player but it wasn't to be here.

• Like 2

also.. are you referring to this match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrQWLC4YRc&t=156s

Goal scorers were Adrian and Enrich (both assisted each other) (striker and central midfielders btw). Other goal was a defender. You saying Gil was at fault directly for any of those goals? he was beaten for the first but plenty of defenders to stop a shot after and that was a worldy. 

Gil got an assist too. Amazing what people see differently when you have an opinion one way or another. ( not having a go.. seriously amazing how we all watch the same game and see it differently)..

Thats football. Be boring if we all agreed all the time. 

Cant see Deportivo paying that. They had a poor season. gil wasn't very good. 

edit sorry its Betis but still be surprised if they pay that

Edited by PaulC

Â