Carles Gil

bose

Since I brought it up, my issue with @Michael118 and Jerrell Sellars isn't that I'm categorically sure he'll never amount to anything (of course he might, we didn't predict that Jonathan Hogg or Enda Stevens would turn into anything and they did) but that Michael was arguing he should have been starting, regularly, in our first team a year or two ago. 

I should also apologise for my part in leading this gentle meander off topic, and I encourage people to discuss Sellars further in his own thread, which as of right now can be found on page 19 of 'Other Football'. 

That Carles Gil, eh? What's that about then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since I brought it up, my issue with @Michael118 and Jerrell Sellars isn't that I'm categorically sure he'll never amount to anything (of course he might, we didn't predict that Jonathan Hogg or Enda Stevens would turn into anything and they did) but that Michael was arguing he should have been starting, regularly, in our first team a year or two ago. 

I never said he should have been starting regularly. I wanted him to be given an opportunity in our relegation season because the only decent strikers we had were Kozak, who also was barely given an opportunity and Gabby who was in fairly poor shape. I thought Kozak needed a partner with the qualities which Sellars has and thought there was a decent chance they could have combined well together. Sellars scored on debut in pre-season in our relegation season then scored a double in an U21's game the next day (playing alongside Kozak and a number of other senior players) and was never seen again.

Edited by Michael118

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I should also apologise for my part in leading this gentle meander off topic, and I encourage people to discuss Sellars further in his own thread, which as of right now can be found on page 19 of 'Other Football'. 

That Carles Gil, eh? What's that about then?

Sellars has 1 goal in 24 for Cheltenham and has started once in the last 10 games 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sellars has 1 goal in 24 for Cheltenham and has started once in the last 10 games 

He's being used as a left winger and has a goal and 3 assists or a goal and 4 assists if you include Cup appearances, which is reasonable enough for a player who "should have more end product". 

He's also been injured.

(March 18)

"By the way where is Jerell Sellars?" 

"Slight injury according to JP, should be back soon. I'd get him straight back in the first XI when fit.

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=sellars

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Don't know. Maybe you can ask Marc Albrighton, Steven Davis, Jordan Amavi, Adama Traore or Carles Gil. 

Are you honestly suggesting Jerell Sellers is at the same level as these players?

As an aside, what makes you so interested in discussing players who have left the club, rather than anything going on presently?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 18:25, Michael118 said:

Gil has a much higher ceiling than Grealish. I've never rated Grealish all that highly.

I watched every minute of every game Gil played for us in the Premier League. He is easily one of the most talented players I've seen play for us.

I don't judge players based on stats at all. I never took any notice of stats until recently and although they are limited, surprisingly, they can be quite good at supporting your observations (if you can find the right stat). They're also a good way of putting your point across objectively.

I actually agree with you regarding Gil being talented and capable of PL standards. I think there was good reason he came from a club like Valencia.

That said, I can't understand how you can make judgements on Gil with such conviction. Same as anyone dismissing his abilities.

He was part of a dysfunctional team, and in his short time here produced a mixture of performances. I think it's difficult to make an assessment on Gil.

There's no denying his 3 goals were all class, and he can play a pass and understands attacking movement. There's also no denying managers have not always favoured him, for whatever reason. He will inevitably suffer wherever a manager fails to see him as a viable inclusion and I think that's been the case with Gil for some time.

To say he has a higher ceiling than Jack is ridiculous. I don't agree at all. That's the kind of talk that I would expect from a troll, it's unjustified, exaggerated and bound to get on the wrong side of a few people, considering Gil left and Grealish stayed on to be perhaps our most valuable player. I would however like to see more of what Gil can produce. If he can consistently show the kind of play he did at his best whilst here he will find himself a role and could play in any league.

As it is, he's not having that kind of influence and you can't really argue his abilities from snippets of a season.

Â