Carles Gil

bose

12 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Bruce more than likely would have sold him just like he sold Amavi, Bacuna, Westwood, Kozak, Ayew, Cissokho and Baker and loaned out Gardner so he can fund players who are more on his wavelength - Taylor, Elmohamady, Whelan, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Hourihane, Hogan and Samba.

Bruce hasn't got a clue when it comes to getting the best out of underperforming players with higher ceilings. Gil is too creative, too dynamic, too intelligent, too technical and too unpredictable to fit into a Steve Bruce team. Like attracts like in this world and Steve Bruce and Carles Gil are worlds apart.

So how many of those players are playing consistently  at a higher level than villa?Amavi and Ayew? 

Where does Jack Grealish fit into your second argument? He has a far higher ceiling than Gil, yet Bruce has built his team around him. Furthermore, it wasn’t even Bruce who loaned Gil out, it was RDM. Whilst Bruce has been in charge Gil hasn’t done anything to warrant being recalled.

Genuine question did you ever watch Gil play? You said previously that you judge players on stats and their spirituality. 

When you watch Gil you’d see that he wasn’t that good.

Finally, and most importantly something that you continually to ignore. Carles Gil DID NOT want to be here in the championship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

@Michael118 is  entitled to rate the players he wants, even if we don't agree, and at least Gil is more explicable than post-injury Kozak or Jerrell Sellars. 

That being said, it is absolutely pointless posting about this player, who will never play for this club again. He will never play under any Villa manager - not just Bruce - because he has categorically refused to play in the Championship and it would set just the worst precedent in the world if he were to be brought back into the team if we got promoted. What kind of message would that send? He was bad enough to be relegated, but he gets to **** off to Spain for a couple of years while his club mates do the hard work of getting promoted again, and then he gets to slot back into the team if he feels like it? I don't **** think so. 

I agree.

He was a wise lad though.....He wouldn't last 5 minutes in this league....The wind alone, not to mention the snow, would blow him off the ball.

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

He was a wise lad though.....He wouldn't last 5 minutes in this league....The wind alone, not to mention the snow, would blow him off the ball.

I don't blame him for a minute. It's his career, and he'll only have one of them, and he isn't a Villa fan, he's a professional. He was able to get a gig in Spain at a top flight club and I don't bear him any real ill will, I just don't want to see him play for us ever again. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 05:13, mikeyp102 said:

So how many of those players are playing consistently  at a higher level than villa?Amavi and Ayew? 

Where does Jack Grealish fit into your second argument? He has a far higher ceiling than Gil, yet Bruce has built his team around him. Furthermore, it wasn’t even Bruce who loaned Gil out, it was RDM. Whilst Bruce has been in charge Gil hasn’t done anything to warrant being recalled.

Genuine question did you ever watch Gil play? You said previously that you judge players on stats and their spirituality. 

When you watch Gil you’d see that he wasn’t that good.

Finally, and most importantly something that you continually to ignore. Carles Gil DID NOT want to be here in the championship.

Gil has a much higher ceiling than Grealish. I've never rated Grealish all that highly.

I watched every minute of every game Gil played for us in the Premier League. He is easily one of the most talented players I've seen play for us.

I don't judge players based on stats at all. I never took any notice of stats until recently and although they are limited, surprisingly, they can be quite good at supporting your observations (if you can find the right stat). They're also a good way of putting your point across objectively.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

at least Gil is more explicable than post-injury Kozak or Jerrell Sellars. 

Gary Johnson (Cheltenham manager) on Jerrell Sellars:

"I think this is going to be a very interesting and exciting signing. Jerrell has a lot of individual quality and has the quickest feet I think I've ever worked with. He is very keen to play first team football and we've given him the opportunity to show his quality. He's only a young lad but he's looking to really push on now. He's a striker or wide player who is just as quick with the ball as he is without it. He's tricky, it's very difficult to get the ball off him, he is brave and although he is not a massive size, he is illusive. I'm looking forward to giving him the opportunity and I would describe him like a young James Dayton - a nimble player with a good body swerve who draws fouls because he is very tricky".

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-what-jerell-sellars-13299626

Cheltenham fans on Jerrell Sellars:

"Eisa and Sellars although raw have been excellent finds."

"The player I enjoy watching the most is Sellars, even if he should have more end product."

"Sellars has the potential to be an absolutely brilliant player. His touch, dribbling and control are of a standard far beyond L2 and if he can begin to add some end product to his game he''ll be playing at a higher level in no time."

"If young master Sellars was able to make slightly better decisions about when to release the ball, particularly with regard to his awareness of the whereabouts of better positioned team mates, he would be on everyone's list. He would then be top of the scouting lists too".

"Sellars has great potential and is already talented at some elements of the game. Needs to spend a year or two working on his all round game positioning, strength and decision making/game management. He is 22 and if he works hard he will be a top L1 player in two years imo. I believe we should make the investment to get him to that stage, so he can take us up or move on for a decent fee."

"Jerrell Sellars has enormous potential but is far from the finished article."

"I was alarmed when Sellars replaced Atangana, but it proved to be a good move with Sellars instrumental in a lot of our most creative attacking of the game. I wouldn't single out any players for accolades or criticism tonight - they all did their bit."

"Agree, Sellars was dangerous when he came on."

"Winchester is stalling on a new contract and one of our more exciting players - Sellars, is likely to move on. I'd have hoped that they would have already committed to the manager that signed them if they were happy at the club."

"I hope both players are here next season, if Sellars can add finishing to his game then he's a real talent."

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=sellars

A fairly good article on Carles Gil's time so far at Deportivo, written just after he made his return from injury and not too long before Seedorf was appointed manager.

Carles Gil, the known solution

The Valencian is running as a starter against Leganes after the absence of Fede Cartabia by sanction

December 7, 2017

Carles Gil as a solution. Again, Deportivo could use Valencian talent to solve a difficult situation and unclog the team from the bad results. The end could occupy the position that leaves free in the eleven by Fede Cartabia, who will not be before the Leganes by accumulation of cards.

The Argentine, who until now had started in all league matches, has been one of the most decisive of the team in his first stretch of the season and has consolidated on the right wing. With Bruno Gama having a very secondary role this season, everything suggests that Carles Gil, once fully recovered from his pubic injury, will take his place on the right wing.

This opens a new opportunity for the Valencian player, whose stay at Deportivo has been full of good and bad chained moments, far removed from consistency and regularity. It's quality has been it's main endorsement, the injuries; your cross.

Arrived last season to Deportivo La Coruna from Aston Villa had a hard time entering the plans of Gaizka Garitano. Due to technical decisions first and the discomfort in the damned pubis later, it was not until day 13 in La Rosaleda, where Carles Gil began to show his football with the herculine shirt. An assist after leaving the bench served him to get fully into the starting lineup of Garitano in what was the best football of Depor last season. With him on the right, Babel on the left and Andone on top the herculine set ran over Real Sociedad, beat Osasuna and elminated Betis in the Copa del Rey.

When the Depor and Carles Gil himself were better, the injuries got in the way. Again the pubis ballasted, leaving him more than four weeks in the dry dock. He returned for the second part of the season but despite having the confidence of Mel and with minutes on the pitch, the injuries diminished his performance. Despite his problems, his season ended with 23 games played, one goal and four assists.

This summer, Depor put all the trust in Carles Gil, in an assignment with purchase obligation that will link the Valencian with the herculine set at least until 2021. However, again the injuries appeared in the form of pubalgia. The conservative treatment did not work and the player went through surgery to definitively end a problem that has been preventing him from showing all his talent. 

Already recovered for the cause, he had minutes in league against Athletic and Sevilla and he played 62 minutes of the game against Las Palmas in the Copa Del Rey. With the absense of Cartabia, the doors of ownership in the domestic championship are opened. Even Cristobal Parralo proved this morning in Abegondo, a three point line with Carles Gil on the right, Andone in the centre and Adrian on left. Again, it's time for Carles Gil.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/torremarathon/2017/12/05/vieja-solucion-carles-gil/00031512491538467740511.htm

14 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Yeah, really wish we had held on to Sellars, he will be a “Top League 1 player in 2 years imo”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

Yeah, really wish we had held on to Sellars, he will be a “Top League 1 player in 2 years imo”

"One recalls David Platt, ex England captain. Picked up as a youth player by Manchester United, cast adrift by United aged just 19. Picked up by Crewe Alexandra and then went on to play for Aston Villa, Bari, Juventus, Sampdoria, Arsenal and Nottingham Forest. Sometimes it does a young player a lot of good to drop down a league or two, especially if it makes them hungry to recover early promise. One sees that hunger in young Master Sellars and he does indeed have serious potential. He's another that needs to be given an extended contract, and quickly."

"In my opinion, both Sellars and Mo are better than L1 standard. I can't recall seeing such close control in a player in L2 or L1 as Sellars has. As for Mo, a natural goalscorer. The back-lift on his shots against Chesterfield was almost non-existent."

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=sellars

Â