Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

people who live to work. couple of blokes who work down my place and they do seven days a week if they can because they would rather work than do anything else. they dont really do it for the money, i asked one the other day if he likes having a day to himself and he just said nah id rather work. sad existence if you ask me, dont get me wrong if you need to do it fine or if its your own company and you want it to do as well as possible fine, also if you have a great job then yes but seven days on a shitty roof is sad. they both hate having time off over xmas because they are bored. just dont get it.

What will they do when they get older / retire? I agree. I don't get it either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

What will they do when they get older / retire? I agree. I don't get it either.

probably drop dead. we all take life for granted but id hate to be so work obsessed and imo its no life. i read somewhere(probably in the mail so its bullshit:D) that one of the most common regrets later on in life is people looking back and saying i wished i didnt work as much as i did, and another one was worrying about money which i  am sometimes  guilty of.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

people who live to work. couple of blokes who work down my place and they do seven days a week if they can because they would rather work than do anything else. they dont really do it for the money, i asked one the other day if he likes having a day to himself and he just said nah id rather work. sad existence if you ask me, dont get me wrong if you need to do it fine or if its your own company and you want it to do as well as possible fine, also if you have a great job then yes but seven days on a shitty roof is sad. they both hate having time off over xmas because they are bored. just dont get it.

Totally, this. I love my profession and I haven't dreaded a single monday since I started teaching, but I'm not ashamed to admit I thoroughly enjoy having 11 weeks off per year. 

11 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Totally, this. I love my profession and I haven't dreaded a single monday since I started teaching, but I'm not ashamed to admit I thoroughly enjoy having 11 weeks off per year

Teachers. :rolleyes:

In before Tony. :D

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

On 10/01/2016 at 17:20, Rugeley Villa said:

probably drop dead. we all take life for granted but id hate to be so work obsessed and imo its no life. i read somewhere(probably in the mail so its bullshit:D) that one of the most common regrets later on in life is people looking back and saying i wished i didnt work as much as i did, and another one was worrying about money which i  am sometimes  guilty of.

Pretty sure Steve Jobs said very similar on his death bed. Major regrets about how much he worked. I'll see if I can find the quote...

13 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Any of David Bowie's music. 

Ignore the media BS, he was always a minority taste and was all the better for it.

The fact that so many of the so-called fans and rent-a-quote commentators only know the words to Space Oddity, which some confuse with Space Odyssey, shows that Bowie was one of those artists who people mainly ignored when they were current but now think it makes them cool to acknowledge in retrospect.

Not getting Bowie's music therefore puts you with the majority.

56 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

he was always a minority taste

Hardly. Plenty of "hit" albums and singles would suggest otherwise. Most of not all of his albums went gold/platinum and he had loads of big chart hits. If that's a minority taste, then it's an absolutely massive minority.

• Like 1

My Grandad asked me who he was the other day, so I had the weird situation of a me, 29 years old, not particularly liking any of his music, and not being music-conscious for pretty much the majority of his career, trying to explain the appeal of the guy to an 89 year-old who likes choir music and bell-ringing. What to say? I took a guess and said people liked his fashion sense. 

21 hours ago, blandy said:

Hardly. Plenty of "hit" albums and singles would suggest otherwise. Most of not all of his albums went gold/platinum and he had loads of big chart hits. If that's a minority taste, then it's an absolutely massive minority.

Your man on the street would struggle to name a song or perhaps even an album of his from the last 20 years.

That said most people could name a bowie track from the preceeding 25 years. 

Edited by Seat68

Let's face it, he's an iconic figure of the 70's/80's.  He went pretty quiet after this, apart from to his most die hard fans.

Like many famous musicians from the 60's/70's/80's, he was in the right place at the right time to create something no one had seen before, and get it on TV to show millions of people.  If he came out now he'd be lost in a sea of other people trying to be individual.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that he's definitely a pioneer of individualism from his time.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2016 at 16:05, Rugeley Villa said:

I definitely get it.

One of the most stressful things in life is the conflict between work and leisure, and that feeling that work only has meaning in terms of leisure, which makes work miserable because you are just waiting for it to end, so you can get on with your leisure.

But when you are working constantly, there is no conflict and therefore you don't resent it.

In fact, work gradually becomes the place where you feel the most comfortable and times when you are forced into leisure (holidays) are boring.

And, let's be honest, most of our worst self-destructive behaviour occurs during times of leisure.

So work can be more satisfying than leisure and is a healthier addiction to have than those associated with leisure and the pursuit of happiness.

Â