Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

The activity of just sitting and listening to music.

Music is always a background thing for me. I like music, I listen to a lot of it.

But I would never just sit down specifically to listen to music, and do nothing else.

** nerd alert **

I've spent the last three evenings cutting up acoustic dampening drum pads to isolate speakers and to make a new turntable mat. I've altered the height of my tonearm, I've also acquired a new cartridge and other bits n bobs. I've booked a day's leave on Wednesday, to sit at home with the house empty, and listen for what difference any of that may or may not make. It's important to have the optimum set up when listening to Saturday Night Holocaust by The Dead Kennedys. So I'm perfectly happy to listen to music as a specific thing. Unless it could be argued I'm actually dicking about with tat - and listening to the result more than the music?

But I get your point - it would be rare for me to just sit and watch a tv programme and not be doing something else at the same time. I'd consider anything on TV, a film or boxset on netflix, a dvd etc., to be the ultimate disposable leisure time. I'd almost always double up and do something else at the same time. Like sit on an exercise bike and do 20km, or cut up Ikea cork coasters to fill out the recess in my tt platter.

oh, and p.s. I've just remembered that I also do a 300 mile round trip once a month to listen to music on someone else's stereo! 'cos he's got quite a good stereo. It's a little club of people that meet up to sit and listen to other's records. We don't touch each other or anything. Just take it in turns to make tea, and play records whilst swapping cables, valves 'n' shit around pretending it made a difference.

When I grow up, I want to be you.

• Like 2

Yeah, I like to put an album on, while I'm reading a book or something, but if I really want to listen to the music, then I need to just do that. Like useless, I need to do it without distraction. That said, one of the best things about listening to music, is when you are doing something else, and all of a sudden, you find yourself completely consumed by what you're listening to, and stop everything else, just to listen.

• Like 2

Just about the only benefit to having a two hour commute (each way) is that I have time to dedicate to listening to music. I think I'd have topped myself long-since if I'd not had walkmans/discmans/minidisc players/ipods to accompany my journeys on the capitals public transport over the last 15 years.

• Like 2

Just about the only benefit to having a two hour commute (each way) is that I have time to dedicate to listening to music. I think I'd have topped myself long-since if I'd not had walkmans/discmans/minidisc players/ipods to accompany my journeys on the capitals public transport over the last 15 years.

For listening to albums, that's where I do it. On a commute. EVen then, I'm driving so it's still a background activity.

Music is always a background thing for me. I like music, I listen to a lot of it.

But I would never just sit down specifically to listen to music, and do nothing else.

Horses for courses, innit?

Don't get why folks would watch Sky, let alone pay for it.

Golf, fishing (if you're not eating the catch), gambling, Hollywood, the Smiths... WHY???

Ohh I love doing this. At least a full album at a time. Spent a few hours doing this yesterday which is quite a common Sunday time waster for me!

• Like 1

This is why I'm convinced music doesn't do to me what it seems to do to many others. I suppose as with most things there's a sliding scale of how it affects people. Sitting down solely to listen to an entire album I'd be as bored as a 4 year old sitting still in church in a matter of minutes.

Eko aren't generally complete crap, but they're far from awe inspiring. Being broken is unlikely to help its cause.

12 strings do naturally what the chorus pedal does for electrics.

I like the shimmer personally, but if it's not to your taste? Fair enough.

Â