Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Just now, sidcow said:

The power tool? 

No, the made a picture out of loads of pieces of carboard that were designed to fit together to make the picture until some bastard mixed them up type

Then you made the picture stared at it for a few seconds and chucked all the pieces back in the box to likely never do it again. If you do it again boy that really blows my mind.

As hobbies go, it's innocuous and harmless, I have nothing against jigsaw people but I just don't get the satisfaction or what people get from it.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, the made a picture out of loads of pieces of carboard that were designed to fit together to make the picture until some bastard mixed them up type

Then you made the picture stared at it for a few seconds and chucked all the pieces back in the box to likely never do it again. If you do it again boy that really blows my mind.

As hobbies go, it's innocuous and harmless, I have nothing against jigsaw people but I just don't get the satisfaction or what people get from it.

Yeah I know. I didn't really think you didn't get a power tool (especially a really useful one) 

• Haha 1

On 30/03/2024 at 22:10, bobzy said:

Why the “10 year passport” thing has become a major news story… and why so many idiots are being caught out?

Travel is my hobby so I'm up to date on visa requirements etc  so I guess it would be easy to rule my eyes every time I hear about this  but tbh some people just don't travel much and maybe don't follow the news as much so its not a thing for them ...

My parents hadn't flown since Covid and were due to go to Mauritius in Jan this year and out came the passport and whilst valid it would have fallen foul of the 10 year rule  , but as Mauritius isn't in the EU it was fine , so she renewed it after they came back ... she'd checked the passport well in advance I should add , not as the taxi pulled up to take them to the airport  , but she'd read that some people were waiting months for passports and didn't want to send it away and risk it not coming back in time  ( fwiw I renewed mine and my daughters last year and we got them back in under a week )

On 10/03/2024 at 12:31, bickster said:

I went into the city centre yesterday to meet the missus after her hair appointment and do a bit of food shopping etc.

In Liverpool One (the shopping centre) there was this huge snaking queue of mainly females that triple backed on itself and then went further again out of that section of the shopping centre into another part. I was curious but just took an alternative route to where I was heading that involved going up to come down the other side.

Met the missus in the record shop and the queue was the first thing we all talked about. None of us had a clue what it was about, so on the way back we investigated further. Some online only brand called Sisters and Seekers had opened a one day only pop up shop

Never heard of it but hey ho, I kinda expect that.

People were queuing for 7 hours plus and had come from miles away (some definitely from Brum - interviewed in the local rag) to buy what I can only describe as grey jogging bottoms and hoodies

I really do wonder what goes through these peoples heads. You could have bought this shit online and got it delivered to your house. You’ve queued for the time it takes to work an entire shift to save 10% on some bland leisure wear

Baaaa Baaaaa!

Aren't you lot supposed to **** love a queue though? Like a national trait? So the opportunity to join one was too overpowering. Maybe some in the queue didn't even know what was at the front of it. They just joined, because :P

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Aren't you lot supposed to **** love a queue though? Like a national trait? So the opportunity to join one was too overpowering. Maybe some in the queue didn't even know what was at the front of it. They just joined, because :P

I love laughing at a queue of stupidity. Insta stupidity :D 

I'm clearly not British as queueing annoys the f*** out of me :crylaugh: 

(despite my DNA profile being 99.8% British Isles and 0.2% Coptic Egyptian)

• Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 10:47, bickster said:

Yeah I'm kind of in this boat

I also think the actual satisfying part is the start, because that's when it's actually hard. So the challenge is figuring out what goes where etc

The longer you do it the easier it becomes. So the interest disappears.

But I also haven't done one for about 30 years so what do I know

These “roasts” that they have in the US for celebrities (prompted by the Tom Brady one referenced in the sha thread and me inadvertently finding out the most well known Kardashian had a rough time herself at it). 

At the risk of contradicting myself by putting in this thread, I suppose I do kinda get the appeal. But at least the bits I see that go viral leave me cold. 

I think it’s because it’s all pretty much all one note, at least it seems to me. And because the person who is being made fun of is there knowing it’s going to happen it feels a bit like they’re in on the joke and because everyone knows what subject matter is, the element of surprise is a reduced. I guess it feels kinda contrived.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

These “roasts” that they have in the US for celebrities (prompted by the Tom Brady one referenced in the sha thread and me inadvertently finding out the most well known Kardashian had a rough time herself at it). 

At the risk of contradicting myself by putting in this thread, I suppose I do kinda get the appeal. But at least the bits I see that go viral leave me cold. 

I think it’s because it’s all pretty much all one note, at least it seems to me. And because the person who is being made fun of is there knowing it’s going to happen it feels a bit like they’re in on the joke and because everyone knows what subject matter is, the element of surprise is a reduced. I guess it feels kinda contrived.

Yeah, I really don't get them. 

• Like 1

You walk around the estate, and you see the same people every day - they are not your next door neighbours, but you know they live close by. 

You walk past, you look at them and want to give them a friendly smile/nod. They walk past looking at the phone or down at the ground and not acknowledging your existence. 

That's just rude. 

• Like 2

On 06/05/2024 at 14:31, Mark Albrighton said:

It's a weirdly American thing on multiple fronts. 

America has a long tradition of insult and mocking comedy, a take on the banter culture thing really but sometimes more biting and potentially cruel. Some of the most revered comedy figures, particularly of the early Hollywood era that kinda set the stage for what is glamour and great and good in the US, were essentially insult comedians and that elevated the style to be particularly beloved and therefore getting roasted was something almost like being anointed or honoured.

There's also a very long tradition of... self aggrandisement, selfcentredness, narcissism at the top end of American society. There's an old gag that kinda explains it - What's better than giving a million dollars to charity? Everyone knowing you gave a million dollars to charity. Having an event where you are the subject, even if it's ostensibly to have the piss taken, is something to be savoured - you were important enough to be the centre of attention for a while, the show is about you. There's just enough of the mocking to puncture some of the pomposity of it (similar in some ways to how ancient Rome when they gave 'triumphs', celebratory festival parades, to their great figures, it was done with one person next to them in the parade constantly reminding them they are only human), but it's still essentially dick waving and a celebration of how awesome you are. 

It's very unBritish.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thermomix. 

I don't get it. A lot of my family raves about it. But I don't get it.

It seems like a useful tool - but it only does 3 things; heats, mixes and cuts. Nothing else. (Yes, it's got recipes, but please can you just use google? Isn't that easier?) 

Each of those 3 tasks can be easily performed by things everyone has in their kitchen. Just use a knife to cut up ingredients , stick it in the pan, and mix it. 

And you are over a THOUSAND £ better off. 

It's like a soup maker that another of my family members absolutely loves. It does exactly the same thing as a thermomix. Personally, I just cut shit up, boil it, stick it in a blender, and it's the same thing at a fraction of the price. 

The cost nowhere near justifies this weird machine.

But I have to give it to them, great marketing.   

Edited by Mic09

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's like a soup maker that another of my family members absolutely loves. It does exactly the same thing as a thermomix. Personally, I just cut shit up, boil it, stick it in a blender, and it's the same thing at a fraction of the price. 

Nope, you can't leave the boiling pan for too long unaccompanied. You can leave the soup maker and do some other shit for half an hour. Absolutely love my soup maker. Also fairly sure it uses less power that boiling something on the stove for the requisite time

As he was sentenced today , one I don't' get is people that paid a subscription to watch people being castrated  or having their penis removed on a website

the bloke that ran the site even froze his own leg so it had to be amputated  

WTF 

Arch-manipulator" Gustavson had his own penis cut off, the tip of his nipple removed, and his leg frozen so that it had to be amputated, and recruited like-minded individuals to assist him, the court heard.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Thermomix. 

I don't get it. A lot of my family raves about it. But I don't get it.

It seems like a useful tool - but it only does 3 things; heats, mixes and cuts. Nothing else. (Yes, it's got recipes, but please can you just use google? Isn't that easier?) 

Each of those 3 tasks can be easily performed by things everyone has in their kitchen. Just use a knife to cut up ingredients , stick it in the pan, and mix it. 

And you are over a THOUSAND £ better off. 

The cost nowhere near justifies this weird machine.

But I have to give it to them, great marketing.   

Thermomix! Many wow! Such good!

Anyway, here's an amusing brief video about it. The two presenters went on to write Deadloch, if that's your bag.

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Nope, you can't leave the boiling pan for too long unaccompanied. You can leave the soup maker and do some other shit for half an hour. Absolutely love my soup maker. Also fairly sure it uses less power that boiling something on the stove for the requisite time

If you are at home, is it that big of a chore to check in on a boiling pan once every 20mins and give it an occasional stir?

It's not like I sit there and watch my lovely chicken soup for the entire process. You stick on a timer and give it mix every now and again.

As for the power aspect, that is a fairly common argument for the thermomixer/soup maker. I don't know, one/two pans on low gas vs an electric device, I have no idea.

What I do know is that you first need to spunk £1500 for the thermomix and I highly doubt you would make up the difference in 10 years of cooking. 

Let me ask again, other than heating, cutting and mixing, what does the device actually do? 

38 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If you are at home, is it that big of a chore to check in on a boiling pan once every 20mins and give it an occasional stir?

Yes, my soup maker only takes half an hour to make soup.

Get up in the morning, have a coffee, chop all my ingredients, chuck them in the soup maker, go have shower etc with no fear of a ban boiling over or burning. So yes most definitely

No clue on this thermowotsit, I have no intention of ever spending that much money on a luxury kitchen device. My soup maker isn't in that price bracket at all, not only that its a food blender, can make smoothies, ice cream and all sorts of other stuff

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone else surprised by how popular soup appears to be on this forum, especially home made?

It's a forum where people put gravy on fish and chips, nothing should be a surprise by now 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone else surprised by how popular soup appears to be on this forum, especially home made?

Why wouldn't it be?

Â