Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but the thing that made it weird for me is they've all come out before anyone would have seen her in any of the other shows.

Like if she was in Line of Duty, then the year after she was in GoT, and then the year after that she was in Chernobyl, then I'd understand. She's done a good job, she's quite recognisable and she's got herself another job. And repeat.

But it's all the shows coming out at once that confuses me. Unless they share a casting person or something.

That might be just dumb luck. The current Shane Meadows thing on channel 4 has been “in the can” for more than two years. A lot of films and tv shows are complete long before they see the light of day. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but the thing that made it weird for me is they've all come out before anyone would have seen her in any of the other shows.

Like if she was in Line of Duty, then the year after she was in GoT, and then the year after that she was in Chernobyl, then I'd understand. She's done a good job, she's quite recognisable and she's got herself another job. And repeat.

But it's all the shows coming out at once that confuses me. Unless they share a casting person or something.

I've noticed the same thing with Hollywood actors as well.

Someone pops up in a big film out of nowhere and seems to become flavour of the month then inside 6 months they have popped up in a few other big things as well which must have been filmed before they even had a reaction to the first movie.

Its almost as if our tastes are being decided for us by unseen people.

My youngest nipper gets work as an extra, £35 a day and lasagne and chips, what's not to like.

Work definitely arrives in clusters for some reason. For the actual actors, I guess word gets out very quickly if someone is reliable or a good fit or super talented, so other directors and casting people etc aren't waiting to see if you were good in something, they all know pretty much straightaway.

They've been filming His Dark Materials and some of the actors in that are there because they were good in other local stuff via Bad Wolf and Wolf studios. Up next is the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special so some of the crew and minor bit parters will probably go straight from Bad Wolf to G&S.

Then there will be nothing for 6 months. That appears to be the pattern.

• Like 2

It happens with established actors, too. Back in the 80s, Bill Nighy was everywhere (particularly in the early Channel 4 productions), and then he seemed to disappear completely until about five years ago - now he seems to be in every film/drama going again. 

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Someone pops up in a big film out of nowhere and seems to become flavour of the month then inside 6 months they have popped up in a few other big things as well which must have been filmed before they even had a reaction to the first movie. 

Shia LaBeouf syndrome

'Reading challenges' like people forcing themselves to read one hundred books a year or something, and to hit the target purposefully reading short books or 'easy reads', surely it's better by far to just read what you want to read, take your time, and you'll get more from it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, useless said:

'Reading challenges' like people forcing themselves to read one hundred books a year or something, and to hit the target purposefully reading short books or 'easy reads', surely it's better by far to just read what you want to read, take your time, and you'll get more from it.

I think it depends whether its a challenge they've set for themselves with some sort of purpose in mind or some social media nonsense. No Idea why people participate in the latter.

I've just realised that I've only read about three and half books so far this year, so maybe I should have joined them in setting myself a challenge.

Edited by useless

Personally, I just pick the one or two books that really interest me, but whilst I'm in Waterstones I'll grab a load of photos of other books and put them up on my instagram one a week.

I do the same with records.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, choffer said:

That might be just dumb luck. The current Shane Meadows thing on channel 4 has been “in the can” for more than two years. A lot of films and tv shows are complete long before they see the light of day. 

Yeah that’s kind of my point. If nobody is seen her in anything else, how did she land 3 huge roles?

GOT S8 started filming in OCt 2017

Chernobyl started filming in April 2018

Line of Duty started filming Autumn 2018

She doesn't have the biggest parts in any of them either, it's just one of those coincidence things.

So it goes like this, She gets the part on GOT ( a fellow cast member is also a friend and they've worked together previously - I forget which one)

Her agent can then say she'is n the final series of GOT for her part in Chernobyl, then can say she's in both for her part in LOD. Then they all come together in some sort of synchronicity where the last one to be shot airs first 

And lets be honest none of them are major characters

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With all the technological advancements with the onlines and the smart phones and all that, why has the sound quality of a phone call not improved for 60, 70 years?

Surely it should sound as clear as bell now, like you're listening to a podcast.

30 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

With all the technological advancements with the onlines and the smart phones and all that, why has the sound quality of a phone call not improved for 60, 70 years?

Surely it should sound as clear as bell now, like you're listening to a podcast.

Compression, innit.

• Like 1

Why the people of Foggy Bottom haven’t petitioned for the immediate removal of Mayor Humdinger from office. The man’s not right. Not right, I tell you!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Use WiFi calling, it does

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Landlines were usually much clearer than early mobiles. Early mobile calls got much better when ETACS changed to CSD (9.6k digital channel) and again with HSCSD (14k channel). On mobiles, static is introduced to the call as people get weirded out if it's not there.

(All from memory so I may have misremembered some of the details.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

On mobiles, static is introduced to the call as people get weirded out if it's not there.

Wow. Interesting. Baffling (pardon the pun), but interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â