Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Wilco (the band). Friends who have similar tastes to me love them, the press reviews are invariably glowing and make them sound right up my street, Jeff Tweedy always does interesting interviews. I feel I ought to like them. But whenever I check out their albums they just seem rather dull and uninspiring. 

Got dragged to a Wilco gig a couple of years ago by a mate who is obsessed (think he noticed that I was listening to some of the tracks they did with Billy Bragg - which, as @blandy said, are really good). Did the usual thing of giving the albums a proper listen before going, and was a bit unsure after that, for same reason you say - all a bit dull and uninspiring.

Wouldn't say seeing them live changed my mind, but I do think some of their songs make a bit more sense live.

The one that really captured me, and was worth the price of the ticket, was I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Couple of decent versions on YouTube if you're interested.

15 hours ago, blandy said:

This entirely. They're all good at what they do, the drummer's excellent, for example. But the only stuff they've done I liked was really the stuff with Billy Bragg.

The Mermaid Avenue sessions were the catalyst for me going off Bragg. Wilco are really dull. Like Mike I should like them, never did. 

• 3 weeks later...

The lottery, and all the people trying to win it.

A few aspects. If you win the lottery, then you pretty much change your life, presumably for the better, although that's assuming that you're not already happy with your own life? To some extent.

I could personally get onboard with winning £4mil for example as I could buy a bigger house, new cars and fund holidays for the rest of my life etc. I absolutely dont get winning £109 million. That's terrifying to me. Surely it just changes everything and everyone around you?

I dont get the idea of abandoning your job/career either. Surely you've worked for years to be good at that. I'd be a nightmare with no focus each day, just playing golf and planning holidays presumably, would start drinking I could imagine. It sounds like it would be fun for a while but then just a nightmare. I also think how would my kids react to it all, in terms of their focus and motivation for the future.

Is it just people wanting to change their circumstance in life? Its fascinating and scary in equal measure.

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The lottery, and all the people trying to win it.

A few aspects. If you win the lottery, then you pretty much change your life, presumably for the better, although that's assuming that you're not already happy with your own life? To some extent.

I could personally get onboard with winning £4mil for example as I could buy a bigger house, new cars and fund holidays for the rest of my life etc. I absolutely dont get winning £109 million. That's terrifying to me. Surely it just changes everything and everyone around you?

I dont get the idea of abandoning your job/career either. Surely you've worked for years to be good at that. I'd be a nightmare with no focus each day, just playing golf and planning holidays presumably, would start drinking I could imagine. It sounds like it would be fun for a while but then just a nightmare. I also think how would my kids react to it all, in terms of their focus and motivation for the future.

Is it just people wanting to change their circumstance in life? Its fascinating and scary in equal measure.

Don't like golf but the rest sounds fantastic! GIMMEE THE MONEY!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Don't like golf but the rest sounds fantastic! GIMMEE THE MONEY!

I'm not sure if I even like golf that much. Haha. Just played it a lot when I was younger and it's now one of the things i cant do with young kids, as takes ages. To be fair I probably could. Anyway I would need to work as I can plan holidays any time, even when at work. 

Really want to read up on peoples experiences of winning stupid money and how it impacted them and their happiness.

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I can't get my head around anyone winning 4 million (or more) and wanting to carry on working. It's complete anathema to me. There is soooo much of the world to see and so many experiences to be had that that sort of money would allow. Going back to your job just seems mental.

Each to their own I guess.

So what do you do each morning? Or what do you do this morning in 7 years time when you've visited every country? 

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

See, It's not just about the travel (although that would be lovely I'll admit)

Being a creative chap, having that money would allow me to explore many different avenues that previously would have been closed off. I'd look into getting involved more in film/music/art. I'd invest in and actively work on creative projects that really inspire and motivate me.

Of course, I can do that now but only on a much more limited scope as I have a mortgage to pay and all the kerfuffle that comes with that.

Basically, the money would allow me to open up my world without the financial worry. I would **** love it!

Fair play. That would really be putting it to good use. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

See, It's not just about the travel (although that would be lovely I'll admit)

Being a creative chap, having that money would allow me to explore many different avenues that previously would have been closed off. I'd look into getting involved more in film/music/art. I'd invest in and actively work on creative projects that really inspire and motivate me.

Of course, I can do that now but only on a much more limited scope as I have a mortgage to pay and all the kerfuffle that comes with that.

Basically, the money would allow me to open up my world without the financial worry. I would **** love it!

Agree.  I also see myself as some-what creative and I could probably spend 2 years in Berlin or Las Vegas or wherever doing things I'd never done before.  You'd definitely lose some friends, because of their commitments, but I'd do anything to spend every day with my two kids (good and bad days) and obviously, my wife.  

I enjoy my current job, but I'd quit it in a second if someone said to me "you don't have to do that anymore".  My life would be much more enriched if I wasn't tied down to slowly buying a house.  In fact, if someone gave me £10m+, I'd sell everything I own and just become nomadic, taking a teacher around with me for the kids.  The world is huge, not being tied down to one tiny area of it would be incredible.  

Think of all the cool things you could just "have a go at".  Travelling to tick off countries visited is one thing, but truly getting to know places is nirvana to me.  

If you got to the point you'd exhausted everything you could think of.. somehow, you'd be opened up to so many new, exciting experiences, you'd easily make a part time/full time job out of your newly found passion.  

When I really think about it, I begin to feel like a compliant battery chicken - and I enjoy what I do. 

I'd want to settle down eventually, but you'd have found your nirvana by that time. 

• Like 2

If I was to win a huge amount of money like that coupe who won £109m, I simply don't know what I would do. I'd obviously leave my current job but i'd need to do something as i'd be dead in 6 months if I didn't have a purpose! I guess travelling would be a start but i'd probably end up buying a pub or hotel and run that. When I say run it, I mean employ a top team to manage it and i'll waft around the place pretending to make a difference! 

• Like 1

I get the point about the 100million thing. I always used to discuss this with friends - what an "ideal" amount to win would be. Around about a £1million - you can buy your house / a better one, help out loved ones and close friends, support a project / charity of choice and set some away for the future - putting you in a nice comfortable position without feeling a huge obligation to do something with it. £100mil changes everything, social dynamics, expectations put upon you etc, but just nudging 7 figures would give me space to quit my job and work on my own creative interests - well develop them from scratch - whilst still there being an impetus to have some grounded focus on the future.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

You'd have to give away a huge chunk of that money surely.  That can be fun in itself.  I'd probably give a million quid to everyone on my department at work except this guy Nick.  He can go **** himself.  Probably start a bakery up and go on holiday a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

You'd have to give away a huge chunk of that money surely.  That can be fun in itself.  I'd probably give a million quid to everyone on my department at work except this guy Nick.  He can go **** himself.  Probably start a bakery up and go on holiday a lot.

Bloody Nick. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah of course. I mean, obviously I wouldn't really complain. It would be exciting and fulfilling to be able to take charge of a serious project with that capital behind it to do some good, or seriously support several causes, but I'd be wary of people treating my differently.

My ex has a friend who was evidently from a very wealthy family and just things like she'd always offer to pay for stuff just made me feel uncomfortable. Her housewarming to present to us was a bed - mattress, frame, headset and all. Mad.

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I get the point about the 100million thing. I always used to discuss this with friends - what an "ideal" amount to win would be. Around about a £1million - you can buy your house / a better one, help out loved ones and close friends, support a project / charity of choice and set some away for the future - putting you in a nice comfortable position without feeling a huge obligation to do something with it. £100mil changes everything, social dynamics, expectations put upon you etc, but just nudging 7 figures would give me space to quit my job and work on my own creative interests - well develop them from scratch - whilst still there being an impetus to have some grounded focus on the future.

£1m would be a nice amount. I'd still work but perhaps part time and set myself up for an early retirement. Its not enough to live like a king. 

£100m would be mental and i'd like to think i'd give away a lot of it to friends and charities etc

A good figure for me would be £3m - £5m. 

Â