Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I have no problem with women playing football. Norway have actually won stuff there 😂

I do however think they need a smaller pitch and goals. The reason women's football is so god damn boring is because they lack the tempo to excel at a man's sized sport. Unfortunately trying to hammer through to women that there's a difference between the sexes is a suicide mission. 

Watching women struggling to reach the crossbar and lift in a corner is just stupid. 

I think the same stuff about men's handball.  The fields are wayyyy too small. All you see are a group of men charging at each other shooting in 200 mph.  

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

Yep I think the women’s footie is great and while the large amount of coverage and forced press it gets proportionate to its size/popularity is a bit out of kilter I can’t see it as a bad thing if it raises its profile long term and gets more people interested/involved. The standard will only get better. It reminds me of the growth of the MLS. Give it time and it’ll be brilliant.

42 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think the same stuff about men's handball. The fields are wayyyy too small.

That is a good point. I prefer the women's handball, more finesse and they are still hard a nails. Great sport.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have no problem with women playing football. Norway have actually won stuff there 😂

I do however think they need a smaller pitch and goals. The reason women's football is so god damn boring is because they lack the tempo to excel at a man's sized sport. Unfortunately trying to hammer through to women that there's a difference between the sexes is a suicide mission. 

Watching women struggling to reach the crossbar and lift in a corner is just stupid. 

I think the same stuff about men's handball.  The fields are wayyyy too small. All you see are a group of men charging at each other shooting in 200 mph.  

I agree with the size of pitch and goals but I guess it's difficult to get facilities/grounds that would be willing to alter the pitch markings.  Cricket is a bit better as they can just bring the boundaries in.  I've genuinely enjoyed watching women's cricket from time to time and that's a game that's benefitted hugely from giving it a boost on TV despite not really warranting it early on.

Diego Maradona, at 5'5" towered over Alan Wright.

But at 5'6", Lionel Messi is taller than both of them.

The women's 100 metre world record is 9.58 seconds whilst the marathon record is 2 hours 15.

I think the pitch size is just fine.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The women's 100 metre world record is 9.58 seconds whilst the marathon record is 2 hours 15.

not disagreeing about the pitch size, but women's WR is 10.49, also likely heavily wind assisted and awarded because of a faulty wind meter.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I really don't understand your point here, but it's not unheard of English humour passing me by. 😄

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I really don't understand your point here, but it's not unheard of English humour passing me by. 😄

English humour hasn't made it to Chris. It's leeks and oggy oggy oggy for him. He be Welsh. The point is the pitch don't matter if the athletes are good enough. 

• Like 1

yep, I managed to google up the men's record, well done me. :blush:

But the point was, there's a huge overlap in metrics and ability between the sexes, so let's not have different size pitches - the more uniform the game can be, the better.

• Like 1

I’m in Bath for a mates 50th tonight

Already done my research, there's a records shop a 2 min walk from the hotel

Just having a browse and I notice The Fall’s Infotainment Scan album on the wall, I own a copy of this in pretty good condition, its also a favourite of mine. Last time I checked it was worth about £50. It's marked up at £125.

So I looked on Discogs in my phone. Sure enough median price is now £100 and the highest is £129. I notice there's only 5 for sale, all over £100, the most expensive is £149. This one I'm looking at is the one selling for £149 from this shop. How do they get away with the online mark up and why the difference? The online price doesn't include p&p either

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, you did correct, that is her time :) It's sketchy as ****

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

But the point was, there's a huge overlap in metrics and ability between the sexes, so let's not have different size pitches - the more uniform the game can be, the better.

Obviously if you choose those that are exceptional and at the furthest from the mean you get something not far off what men can achieve but imo the game would be sped up and improved in general on a slightly (it doesnt have to be much) smaller pitch and using goals that aren't designed for 6ft+ keepers.  But like I say it probably wouldn't work logistically with clubs not wanting extra lines painted on the pitch, nor does there seem much appetite for it.

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Obviously if you choose those that are exceptional and at the furthest from the mean you get something not far off what men can achieve but imo the game would be sped up and improved in general on a slightly (it doesnt have to be much) smaller pitch and using goals that aren't designed for 6ft+ keepers.  But like I say it probably wouldn't work logistically with clubs not wanting extra lines painted on the pitch, nor does there seem much appetite for it.

There's not just an exceptional group that overlap with men, a good proportion do. Yes the elite men will likely always be a better team than elite women for speed and stamina etc.. But if pot bellied Sunday leaguers can play on a full size pitch, why would the Aston Villa women play on a reduced size pitch?

The mean average is a good point though. Should Maradona, or Messi, or Saun Wright Philips only have been allowed on smaller pitches? Alan Wright did ok on a full size pitch and he's shorter than the european average woman. 

So, for boring reasons, I've watched some women's 'soccer' on facebook this season. In particular, North Arizona Uni women's team. Their pitch is 2 kilometers above sea level. People get altitude sickness at that sort of height. But they do ok (they've got a game tomorrow as it happens). I don't think I'd want to suggest to them they'd be better off on a little pitch for the ladies.

Keep it simple, keep it the same. 

• Like 1

Your logic is just weird. I am 170 cm tall, yet I have more explosive muscular power than those women ever will have unaided. I am way under the average mean in height or weight. 

Having women compete on smaller pitches with smaller goals is not because they are short, it's because they are not the same athletes as men. They never can be. They can't produce the same power, intensity or skill at a given force a man can, thus the game must be modified to make it more interesting. 

For the very same reason I prefer women's handball over men's. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Your logic is just weird. I am 170 cm tall, yet I have more explosive muscular power than those women ever will have unaided. I am way under the average mean in height or weight. 

Having women compete on smaller pitches with smaller goals is not because they are short, it's because they are not the same athletes as men. They never can be. They can't produce the same power, intensity or skill at a given force a man can, thus the game must be modified to make it more interesting. 

For the very same reason I prefer women's handball over men's. 

Do Sunday league players need their pitch and goal sizes altering? No. But professional women who are much better than them, are way more fitter and have been playing the game most of their life do need this altering. These are professional athletes, who I am sure will match if not better you in explosive power. 

• Like 2

You can't fight biology. There's a reason why men and women have different requirements set to them all over society. Why any one think it should be different in football I'll never know. 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can't fight biology. There's a reason why men and women have different requirements set to them all over society. Why any one think it should be different in football I'll never know. 

That may be the case but your view is that women can't do something, but they can. No one denies they are different but a change to their game isn't required. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Perhaps the women's 100 metres should finish after 85 metres. 

This is perfect. Because they are slower should we change the game to suit them. 

Â