Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

See, I can 'get' that guy's look. Personally I think the beard is stupidly long for anyone outside Middle-Earth or Eastern religion, but it doesn't look weird. It looks natural. What I don't get is the hyper clean line cut with super straight hair look.

It appears to be a pretty new thing because I've just spent a fruitless few minutes searching for picture examples.

I get big beards, I get grooming male grooming (shit, I've owned various beard oils), I'm all for that. I've got a big beard myself (and until trimming a month or so ago I literally could have passed as homeless with how huge it was) and it's unlikely I'll go back to a more trimmed down 'style' soon. What I'm not going to end up with, ever, is a super clean outlined massive beard with straightened hair. Because it looks ridiculous. If I had to make an effort right now with my beard, I would trim any stray long hairs, tidy it a bit and that's it. It'd a completely natural looking big beard that had been tidied up a bit. Not like something made of artificial fibres glued my face.

I'm having trouble picturing the beards you're describing; anything from Google Images to help?

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm having trouble picturing the beards you're describing; anything from Google Images to help?

This is the best I can find from a quick look again

19050146_462398504110649_314704365585694

I've seen worsen than this, bigger beards that have clearly straightened hair, but then the outline of the beard is so severe it looks fake. It looks like you glued it on.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

WhAt'S aLl ThIs BuSiNeSs WiTh AlTeRnAtInG cApItAls AbOuT? 

I think it's a sign of using Twitter too much, along with using terms like dog-whistling and virtue-signalling (I still have no idea what they mean) in political arguments and calling everyone a charlatan in football ones.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 13:47, Chindie said:

I've seen worsen than this, bigger beards that have clearly straightened hair, but then the outline of the beard is so severe it looks fake. It looks like you glued it on.

Zangief was much more straight-laced after his street fighting days.

On 19/04/2019 at 13:47, Chindie said:

What annoys me about this is that so much care has been taken shaping the beard but he's left all those stragglers on his neck. That's the easy bit!

I expect some flack for this. I won't be offended. 

Women's football. Are people watching this? Do enough people want to watch it to warrant a place on BBC1? 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Women's football. Are people watching this? 

Not me. But then (apart from the WC) I don't watch any football unless it's Villa. 

• Like 2

On 19/04/2019 at 14:47, Chindie said:

Mr Clearing in the woods face.  Works on a few levels.

Coffee shops selling an americano and not letting you dilute your own espresso. 

They just make a batch of filter coffee and call it americano.  

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Coffee shops selling an americano and not letting you dilute your own espresso. 

They just make a batch of filter coffee and call it americano.  

Provided it's fresh, good quality and made strong enough, I prefer a filter coffee to an americano. But yeah, they're not the same. 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I expect some flack for this. I won't be offended. 

Women's football. Are people watching this? Do enough people want to watch it to warrant a place on BBC1? 

It's ok.

I watched the World Cup and thought there were some enjoyable games.

But then I saw bits of that recent international tournament the name of which escapes me, and thought it was piss poor but with over the top praise from the commentary.

Totally agree with Shrops, they're due a favour.

We have a local team that's getting women and girls in to sport and a couple of my nippers' friends are now playing at an age and a technical level that simply didn't exist for women a couple of years ago. So that's got tobe a good thing. People are fitter, sports facilities are being used, the club has doubled in size.

On the downside, whilst I quite like non-league, there's a point at which the standard drops and I just can't watch it. A fair bit of women's football hovers around that line.

Â